Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Apron habit

brightm
9 years ago

Do you use an apron? Always? Sometimes? Never?

I read a comment by amck about wearing an apron and it made me think that I want to develop the habit of using an apron and I have one stuffed in a drawer, but I never, ever, ever think to use it. I know I'd need to have it out to use it. I did have it hanging on a hook in my pre-reno kitchen for a while, but it was in the weird back part out of the work area and I still never used it.

So if you do use one, at least sometimes, where do you keep it?

And if you have any related tips/advice, I'd love those too.

Comments (38)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I wear aprons every day, anytime I'm fixing a meal, baking, washing up, cleaning the house, gardening, etc. Mine are all chef aprons; I pull the ties to the front so that I can tuck in a towel or garden gloves and they have to have pockets. I keep a stack of them on a shelf in my pantry and the one in use for the day is either on me or draped over a kitchen chair or counter.

They're utilitarian rather than frilly. I prefer white so that I can bleach them and any gifts of aprons with cutesy sayings or holiday themes tend to stay on the bottom of the pile. :-)

• bpath
    9 years ago

After watching an old French Chef episode, I started emulating Julia...at least in apron style! I tie a flour-sack I dish towel around my waist. It's always handy, there's always more, and I can bleach them.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I like vintage (but not frilly/cutsie) aprons, and I keep an eye out for them at estate sales. But I like the idea of the Chef's apron, and will now keep an eye out for one of those. I used to keep my aprons in my broom closet, and am hoping the DH figures out the 3-inch ikea broom closet hack so I will have another place to keep them in the new kitchen. Like you, @Cal_Quail, I am inconsistent with my apron wearing. I did find that having a cold house in the winter encouraged me to wear an apron, and I tended to keep in on after dinner for its warmth! Cleaner clothes were a useful fringe benefit.

I have a monthly cooking club, and two of my girlfriends are obligate apron wearers. It was for them that I started my collection, but I think its a lovely habit.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I love wearing aprons. I have cute ones so I mostly wear them when baking bread because flour doesn't stain lol. I should get some white, bleach-able ones like rhizo for the messier meals.

I hang them on a hook just inside of my reach-in, drywall pantry. They used to hang on a hook in the kitchen proper, and I did use them more often then.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I use an apron when I'm making something messy like fresh pasta or phyllo, or tomato sauce. Oh god the tomato sauce. Mine is a gross faded blue "telaflora" apron from my flower shop days. I like it for the pockets and to keep food off my clothes (however it sometimes also ends up in my hair. On my face. On my toes. On my dog.)

It used to live on a coat rack in the mud room by the kitchen but now that we've moved I have no idea where it landed. I think maybe I'll stash it in the new mud room which is conveniently still off the kitchen in the new place.

I was thinking they'd be easy enough to sew, too, provided one has the time and inclination. Alas, I am lazy. I like rhizo's idea too - where do you buy your aprons? Online?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have one, stuffed in a drawer, too. I don't think I have ever worn it, but I also don't end up with food on my clothes when cooking. Sure, maybe some flour when baking or making pasta, but that dusts right off with a couple of smacks of a towel.

I see cutsie aprons all the time and think I should buy one, just to be cute when cooking. But then I would worry about getting it dirty LOL

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I own one and I almost never wear it. Actually it was my mother's - she always wore one while cooking/baking. I'm not sure I've ever actually bought one.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I never bother with one, but I need to change my ways. I use turmeric at every opportunity these days, and that sure does up the staining ability of anything you put it in.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Always wear one; if I don't and need only one drop of oil for my recipe, I guarantee you that oil will end up splashing on my shirt.

In my old kitchen I hooked my chef aprons on a nail in the pantry; in the still-being-finished kitchen, I'm considering keeping it folded over the range handle.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I always wear one for cooking and for most other tasks as well. Sometimes I put an apron on in the morning and don't take it off until I go to bed. I have a drawer full of them, but keep the one I'm currently using folded in a basket that was originally intended for fruit. I thought about creating a space to hang an apron when planning the kitchen, but space didn't allow for it.

My favorites are the striped one's from Williams Sonoma ... not too thin or too thick, fit great, have a nice big pocket, wash beautifully, and last forever. When they get old and stained, they are moved to the garage for outdoor tasks and gardening.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I wear an apron occasionally: canning projects, holiday dinners, baking sprees. I keep it (there's only one) in the drawer with the dish towels.

• tea4all
    9 years ago

I always wear one now when in the kitchen working. I probably started that habit in my early forties. It started in memory of my mother who always wore one and also in an effort to keep my clothes clean.

I love full (bib) aprons and keep an eye out for them at estate sales, etc. The current apron of the day is draped over a kitchen chair in my pre reno kitchen. The stack of clean aprons in the waiting are folded in a cupboard right now. Love, love aprons!

"The Apron Book" by EllynAnne Geisel and "The Perfect Apron" by Rob Merrett are fun books that you apron lovers might enjoy.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

I've thought about it after staining my clothes while cooking - some of those stains are impossible to remove! But I don't because aprons seem too traditional *housewife* like June Cleaver. Ick. They also make me feel like I'm wearing a dress - and years of wearing dresses in college (part of the dress code) has made me not want to wear anything like a dress again!

Anyhow - I get t-shirts from Goodwill; at $1.00 each, I can afford to turn them into cleaning rags if they get stained.

• neitsdelf
    9 years ago

I hung them from the corner of the pantry cupboard in which I stored the pots. Then slowly they disappeared as they went to the laundry and ended up in some other place (stacked in the laundry room, I suppose). Now I don't wear my aprons so much.

Our kitchen is gutted. I imagine DW will continue to frown on the corner of the cupboard method when the new cabinets are installed.

9 years ago

I've found white, cotton chef aprons in pkgs. of three at Costco a time or two. I've more often found them in chef's supply websites on line. I don't spend much money on them. They are all bib aprons and come down almost to my knees.

By the way, I also buy packages of cotton bar towels at Costco. I really like having clean kitchen towels by the stack, lol. I sure do use fewer paper towels!

My husband has followed my example and dons an apron when helping out in the kitchen. Zeebee is right.....all it takes is one drop of oil.

I began wearing bib aprons as a professional horticulturist. Even in college, aprons were hung on a hook just inside every greenhouse and every lab. It sure was a handy habit to get in to.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I have an apron I will wear if I'm cooking something where grease might splash, the rest of the time it stays rolled up in my towel drawer.

For everything else, I have "house clothes" and "out of house clothes."

My house clothes are comfy pants with elastic waistband and loose t-shirts. Any of it can get stained and it won't bother me.

If I'm leaving the house, I put on my nice clothes. I attribute this to being a SAHM for the past 7 years, being constantly covered in spit up, children's goopy hands, etc, I find it is easier and I'm more relaxed taking care of my kids if I don't worry about something getting on my clothes.

So nightly meals are usually cooked in my "house clothes" and I don't worry about splashes, spills, stains, or my sweet 3 year old running up with spaghetti covered hands and face to give me a big hug and kiss. ;)

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I tend to only wear one when I'm entertaining--I don't want to wait until the last minute to get dressed but I don't want to risk getting something on my outfit. So once I've dressed for the event, the apron goes on. But otherwise, I'm not particularly concerned about whether my clothes get something on them, so I don't bother.

Mine are in the drawer with the hand towels.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I am a sometimes person, but I started wearing one more often when I got a linen pinafore from Rough Linen. I liked the way the linen felt on and I liked not having any ties. You just pop it over your head and put your arms through in one motion and done. They weren't cheap then and the price has gone up, so if that's a factor, you could make your own pinafore style. I've considered doing that to add another to my aprons.

As far as where I keep them, I have tried a hook in my utility closet, a drawer, a different drawer. Truthfully, the pinafore has wound up on the back of a chair at the breakfast table when I'm done cooking or eating and may stay there until the next time I need it or need to straighten up for company.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I used to collect vintage aprons, they would of course wear out or tear after so many years of my and POs use. But I mostly only wear one while baking. The vintage bib or pinafore aprons are usually too small for me, so I take an apron and tie it around high above my chest. lol Actually I never thought of hanging one out in the kitchen, that would look nice and retro; but they are folded in a basket under the cupboard for now.

• margo456
    9 years ago

I am trying to develop an apron habit. Have so many outfits ruined from food splatters. Even my casual t-shirt that I just really liked got ruined and I was sorry about it. I have one apron hanging in a hall closet that is right by the kitchen but since I don;t see it I don;t always remember to put it on. I am hoping to re-do my kitchen very soon (in planning stages) but there will be no room to hang the apron again :(

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I love aprons. I can be a messy cook. I have one from Paris that I wear all the time. I also have one for washing the dog, one for gardening and painting.

Now I've starting sewing them for friends. This is the first one.....

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I have a monogrammed chef's jacket from DW that I'll wear once in a while if I'm cooking something particularly messy. Generally I just take my chances since the clothes I wear at home probably cost much less than a monogrammed chef's jacket :D

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I seldom use an apron but need to get into the habit. Major reason for needing to use one is for when I wash dishes. I'm short, and somehow manage to get the entire front of whatever I'm wearing drenched. In our new kitchen I have it hanging in our broom closet. Hoping that will make me think of it more.

I'm loving the pinafore on Rough Linen. That might just be the thing!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! I guess this was a good topic! Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I realized that like a few others, I have house clothes so it's not critical that I use one most of the time, but then I don't have the habit for the times I SHOULD wear one. What to do? What to do!

And Rough Linen...mmmm. I'm afraid to click on any other products, I'm sure I'd like pretty much everything they make. Maybe that'll be my reward if I build the habit with my existing apron that I probably got at Home Goods or somewhere like that.

I also like the flour sack dish towel idea. However I guess they must come in multiple sizes, because the ones I have would in no way fit around my waist.

I too am drawn to the cute ones with rick-rack and bright flowery patterns when in somewhat touristy locations. Again, maybe that would be a reward down the line if I start using them.

I've enjoyed this thread quite a bit!

• plllog
    9 years ago

It's too hot here much of the time to wear an apron all the time. In general, I wear "house dresses". Not your grandma's muumuu. They're mostly short T-shirt dresses, or sweater dresses in the Winter. Very comfy, and no biggie if they get messy or stained.

I do wear aprons when I have "real" clothes on. I have some great ones made by a gal who adapted a '40's pattern. Full bib always--my messes happen above counter level. :) And a flat collar section, no ties or buttons to catch my hair (I put up my hair in the kitchen, but that just makes it worse when it catches). I also like that they're thin cotton and don't get hot.

Storage: I have a couple of canvas aprons for especially messy work (but dreaded ties around the neck) that stay in a drawer with Advantium trays and potholders. The aprons I wear usually just hang out, but can be hung in the broom closet.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Nope! But I'm the type that's way too careful while cooking to the point that it probably slows things down. There may be an apron around here somewhere but if there is, I haven't seen it.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I have one that was given as a gift. it's a light weight canvas that easily slips over the head and goes to maybe the knees. It has a contemporary graphic, "CHAO" on the front. It's utilitarian and attractive. I keep it In my towel drawer and use for messy meals. I'm Italian, so there's lots of messy meals. My mom always wore an apron. I remember her carefully ironing them! ;)

9 years ago

Well darn! I'm totally charmed by those pinafores at Rough Linen. I would totally wear one of those in public. Accidentally on purpose forget to remove it before going to Whole Foods, lol.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

apron wearer, used to put it on as the hot soapy water was filling in the sink.

got out of that habit, so not as much apron wearing. I am saving my pennies for that pinnie from Rough Linen now. (knew I shouldn't have looked) lol

• jkliveng
    9 years ago

Well now i feel stupid... I made breakfast for dinner last night, came home and put on the bacon. Realized i had a brand new pair of grey suit pants on, and was terrified of getting grease on them. What did I do? Took them off and cooked in my underwear.

What could i have done? Put on the super awesome apron my DF got me a few years back that has my name embroidered on it.

Love the idea... but i can NEVER remember to use it.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

rhizo, I haven't worn mine out in public, but I did take it to the school with me when we were working on costumes -- figured it's good for all kinds of work. I am so pleased with how well it has cleaned (even after making blueberry jam), I can dry my hands on it, put things inhte pockets and it covers better than most aprons I've had so it does the job even better. I find I wear that one more than four or five others in the drawer (have started donating those), so I'd rather have one pinafore than several typical aprons. I'm planning on trying to make one or buy another though. The new black is tempting me. Plan to buy the other style apron in black for DH at Christmas. Yeah, they are expensive, but the pinafore makes me feel good, they save me washing even casual clothes and make them last longer, and if it saves one outfit and hours of laundry, the cost is well worth it. Do I sound like I'm trying to talk myself into another one? LOL

• homepro01
    9 years ago

I have the Rough Linen pinnie. I have worn it out in public without realizing it. I hate halters or anything that ties around my neck. The pinnie does not do this and I don't have to worry about retying it every so often! I usually put in on when i enter the kitchen. I am not particularly messy but I usually have to run out while cooking and it is difficult to constantly get dressed in something else for outside viewing:-)

My Pinnie is the natural linen color but I see it comes in black now. That would be perfect for when I am in the garden!
    Good luck!

• amck2
    9 years ago

My favorites are the halter style where you can adjust the neck opening by tugging on the straps at the waist. Easy on & off & no buckles to adjust. I'm just 5'2", so this allows me to adjust for my shorter proportions. I like a medium weight - not too flimsy, but not stiff. Easy wash - so no fancy trim or buttons & bows. I've found sturdy but attractive ones @ Williams Sonoma & Target.

Want to see some nice ones? Go to the Bella Pamella website. I have one of theirs in Green Check with the matching "Lucy" headscarf. My sister dons the scarf when we bake holiday pies together - it's more her than me;) Their quality is great in terms of wormanship, but their fabric is not as heavy as I like.

DD took one in their "Katherine" style (cool design w no ties) and made some for her, and my GDD in blue ticking fabric. They wear them for gardening, as well as for kitchen work. A great style for kids doing crafts, too.

This post was edited by amck on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 17:24

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

I'm very short, too, 5' even, so I like to have an apron that covers the "girls". Otherwise that's where I get messy when I'm working in the kitchen. My daughter gave me a vinyl covered halter style apron years ago with big deep pockets all across the bottom. That is my favorite apron and I wear it most of the time. Especially when baking bread. I'm a terribly messy cook!!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Amck, my mom had an apron in a style much like the Katherine that I remember her frying chicken in. I always thought that was a great apron because it had no ties. The Rough Linen pinafore is a similar idea but different approach and I think that's part of what I like about it. I also discovered that not having ties is not only faster and easier (even if you forget to put it on until your hands are already messy), but not having ties and draping about you makes it cooler. For me at least. I may have to try a retro type one and see if I like it as well.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

After reading about Rough Linen on this thread, I requested swatches. They arrived today. Love the St Bart's light blue. Will need to find an excuse to get something in that. The pinafore will be on my Christmas wish list in natural.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Oh, thanks so much for introducing me to the Rough Linen site. Great. Now I really want the bed makeover with bolsters, which is only $1000!!!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Payback. Or keeping it all in the family. I think it was through this site that I first learned about Rough Linen, but talking about the sheets. I wanted the bed makeover too -- got the summer bed and will add to it. It took me about 2 years to work up to that. LOL