Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mercury glass light fixtures

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 8:31

I love the look of mercury glass fixtures. I do however need diffuse lighting so I was leaning toward white or opal glass. Any thoughts on whether mercury glass would provide diffuse light or if it would direct the light downward(like a metal shade would)?
Something like this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mercury glass light fixtures

I don't know but I LOVE the second one!

o

I don't know either but my love is for the FIRST one. : )

o

We just put these mercury glass pendants in:
Photobucket

They give direct light with no diffusion. It looks like your first choice is diffused light because you can see the bulb through the glass.

o

I, too, love mercury glass and considered all three of those pendants shown! My concern with the first is that the light would throw off weird shadows. I love the shape so much, but I just wasn't sure the shape was right for my space.

I saw the second fixture at WE last fall. The glass pattern was very different than that pic from their website. It looked more even and with less mercury-ness to hide the glare. (The more clear the glass, the more chance of bare bulb glare.) If they hadn't been a tad too wide for my space, I think I would have gone with them and risked the glare factor.

Ann's JY fixtures seemed a bit too whimsical for me after lusting after them for months. Dang...they look stunning in her kitchen!! Plus, like you, I need my pendants to provide diffuse light rather than down light like those.

If it comes down to the first two for you, consider what the hanging material. Do you want black fabric cord or white plastic mod cord? The first evokes a more vintage look, while the WE pendants are more modern and sleek.

I don't think I've been any help after all those words. Have fun deciding!

o

Thanks all but I am so confused I opened a new thread with a broader question to hopefully figure out my lighting dilemma. Please come over there and help out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Localeater's lighting woes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here