Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

Almost Finished...lots of pics

michelle16
11 years ago

My kitchen is not completely done, I will post more pics and details when it's finished. Still waiting on a glass door and draw from the cabinet maker.Still need backsplash, am thinking of something unique from artistic tile since I only have one wall of backsplash. Still need curtains and light fixtures are on backorder till October 8th.Thanks to all who helped me along the way.Michelle

Comments (149)

• marcolo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your kitchen looks terrific.

When you get the Reed Hanging Shade, be absolutely sure to examine the shade itself right away. I have had to return all my VC shades at least three times now due to poor manufacturing--massive color variation, wrinkling and buckling, etc. So pay close attention when yours comes in.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I've seen the word 'stunning' a few time here, and it's the exact right word. The colors and details are tailored and lovely at the same time. My favorite thing is how the LIGHT is the star of the show.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

You held nothing back! To DIE for, Michelle! I have been checking back frequently and was THRILLED to see this post! Yay! Love IT!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

So beautiful!!

• katieob
    11 years ago

Yay !!!!

It looks BANANAS! You must be beyond thrilled!
    Thanks for the shout outs. I stole the black door idea way back from a GWer called " Dotcomgone". Can't take credit....

I am totally jealous of the grey wall of cabinetry. It is perfection.
    The light and airy feeling is so great. You did an awesome job.

I am very happy with the VC Yoke pendants and the Reed pendant over our breakfast table. (I luckily didn't get any lemons like Marcolo mentioned.)
    I, too, am coveting an Urban Electric Chisolm lantern. Not happening in my foreseeable future......Your PB one looks fantastic.

Your kiddo is adorable! Enjoy your home, looks amazing.

Cheers,
    Katie

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Wow!!

I bet you will get a few jaw drops when guest enter the front door.

You did a beautiful job. I am loving every detail. Enjoy!

• momo7
    11 years ago

Congratulations!

Your kitchen (and house) look fantastic. I could live in this kitchen. Everything just looks perfect - especially your little cutie.

Enjoy!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Wishing you the best in your new space!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Michelle: some questions for you about the hood. I am having some trouble choosing the insert and deciding on a height.

1. How deep is your hood ( insert and/or wood surround)
    2. What is the height of your hood from counter top to base of the hood?

Thanks so much. I keep looking at your kitchen pictures. Is your back splash wall going to be the range wall? What have you chosen for a backsplash?

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GOFIGURE- i took this picture to show you where the entry is located. Kitchen is in the back of the house,you can see the gray cabinetry on your left. so the 1st door on right off the kitchen is the laundry room,next door is half bath, the double doors on right after that are closets. The room behind the range is the dining room.
    Thank you soooo much for all these kind words, it means alot, as nothing seemed to go easy with my reno.
    Pball- I will measure the hood now for you and post back!
    Katie- thanks for posting! Both your kitchens are stunning, but the latest was my inspiration. It feels so bright and homey and I was wanting to capture the same. so I hope you don't mind I copied the black door, the lighting, the stools, and I tried to copy the clear jars with the labels, but could not find them anywhere! Had to settle for just clear ones from Crate and Barrell, if you see this, Pleases let me know where you got the ones with the labels!! LOL!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry GOFIGURE, here's the picture

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Michelle- I too love the clear glass jars. Try and google Anchor Hocking canisters or glass jars and you should find a number of sites to purchase these jars in various sizes.
    I have them "pinned" until my kitchen is finished and then will purchase.

• icefox
    11 years ago

The prettiest and most functional kitchen I ever seen.
    Lots of great ideas. Simply gorgeous!

• anrol
    11 years ago

Just saw this this morning! What can I say? It is OMG beautiful! Love everything!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Michelle, Thanks for the latest picture. My goodness, your home is so beautiful. I can't thank you enough for sharing w/all of us.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

This is amazing! Every bit of it! I loved looking at your pictures!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PBALL_ I measured the hood for you. The hood is 30 3/4 from the stove. It is 24 deep, the wolf insert is 22 1/2 deep. I know I have read that you want a deep insert because of grease capture. I think they sell ones that are not as deep at like 19 deep. hope that helps.I also think by code the hood should be at least 30" from counter.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Thanks Michelle
    I was thinking 30" was a good number but it helps to see it. I was set on doing a 18" or 22 1/2" depth hood insert but the I got a lot of feedback that I need to go deeper, especially since the high output burners are up front. I am going to call Trevor at Eurostoves and see what he says. The other issue is budget. I am willing to go deeper but if it costs $1000 more then I will just go with the 22 1/2" insert.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

So incredibly stunning! Congrats! Where are the stools from?

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pball- I don't think u can go much deeper than 22 1/2 with the insert, since most hoods only stick out 24-26 inches, with the moldings and stuff mine is like 26,how deep do they make the inserts? I know wolf's deepest is the 22 1/2 which I got, I think that's plenty, no need to spend more, IMO.
    Phylhl- the stools are from home Decorators Collection, clearance at like only 65 or 70 bucks, a steal!

• Snbtwins
    11 years ago

michelle, when you get a chance, would you mind emailing me, I just wanted to ask you some questions about Dutchwood. Thanks, Suzanne.

• katieob
    11 years ago

Hi~

Got the jars at Target and made the labels using "Paper Source" adhesive labels and accompanying template. Total PITA.

• catkin
    11 years ago

Perfectly lovely! I want that microwave LOL

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks katie! snbtwins- I will email u now, tks, M

• A2T2
    11 years ago

Wow that looks good. Now I want to rip out my cabinets :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, that microwave is the cutest little thing!!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Can't get enough of this kitchen! Can you tell me the dimensions of your island, and what your aisle widths are?

Thanks so much!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    just love your kitchen and can't wait to see your backsplash. Now that the kids are in school I have to come up with one for my kitchen too...

Favorite things: got to be that wonderful cabinet that goes down to counter height with glass on 3 sides. Just awesome. Love that you can see the dishes. And I also have a 2-stage rev-a-shelf and it has been amazing. It also is popular with all the guys when you show off your kitchen. My husband loves to show his friends.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

I have some dw ??s as well that may not be appropriate to post publicly. If I could pls get an email from u. Much appreciated. Thanks

• willtv
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    That's one fantastic kitchen!
    Soooooo much light.
    The 3 sided glass upper cabs, the countertops, the island details, it's all very well done.
    When's the pool party?
    Enjoy!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Let me add one more belated WOW! It's all gorgeous and it came together so quickly. I love the gray cabinets and the glass sided cabs are amazing with all those windows! I think I'm going to try to steal your under sink pullout arrangement. Congrats on a stunning room.

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if dw GC/builder discount apply for reno or just new construction?

• babs711
    11 years ago

Michelle, I know you and I posted on the white macaubus threads. I was waiting to see your kitchen since I knew you were going to use the stone too. It came out beautifully! You must be so happy!

I had to crack up about your shelves. We were also going to do two reclaimed shelves in our bar with antique brackets. We ended up with ones from Ballard Designs! They're great quality and real wood. The iron is superb. But it was difficult to go the reclaimed route for this type of thing!

So your entry light...did you end up with the PB lantern?? It looks just like our two entry lanterns! I love them!

I'm in the process of having our window seat cushion made right now. It's been tough finding someone to make it that didn't charge an arm and a leg that would do a good job. I can't wait to get it. I'm hoping another week and a half.

Again, your home and kitchen are stunning!

• roseofblue
    11 years ago

Michelle, Truly a beautiful home, congratulations - are you a decorator? If not, then you earned your degree during this process, right! We have been trying to find a white Quartzite. Really like the inset cabinets with the piano hinges - we are using this style again, in our new kitchen. The shelves and the blue wicker stools are a nice compliment! Where do you put the plates, etc. - in the drawers by the sink or maybe in the island? Do you have five - ten favorite things, starting with #1 favorite? Thanks for all the inspiration, looks like it is great for adult parties and for the family!

• hopmom
    11 years ago

Michelle, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about your kitchen. We're about to start a kitchen reno -- can you share all of the specs (sorry if I missed this). In particular -- cabinets and countertops.

Thanks!!

• hopmom
    11 years ago

Michelle, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about your kitchen. We're about to start a kitchen reno -- can you share all of the specs (sorry if I missed this). In particular -- cabinets and countertops.

Thanks!!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone! I am sorry I am responding late, my kids have been sick. Thank you all again for such kind words!
    Mags, i will send you an email right after this!
    Steph- my island I believe is 3 1/2 wide by about 6 feet long. The dimmensions inbetween isles is about 43" for the sink area.about 54" for the counter to the frig wall area. the range to counter is only about 41".
    colorfast- yes you are right the men like the steel in the reva shelf, it's right up their alley!
    Babs-Yes I did do the PB lantern in the foyer. I really wanted lanterns in blue for my island, as I'm sure u remember talking me through that! But they were too large for the space so I put one in the foyer and I really like it!
    Nutherokie-thanks for the compliment, because I can not wait to see your's finished, your kitchen is AMAZING so far.You have done an amazing job.
    Hopmom- as far as the specs of the cabinets, my 2 cabinets next to the window are 30" wide, I upgraded all uppers to 15 1/4 deep.The hood is 5 feet wide.The pantry matches the fridg. which is 36" wide.The open shelving I believe is 30" wide.The glass cabs in gray I think are 15" wide.Hope that helps!
    Rose of blue-thanks for such a nice compliment1 No, I am not a decorator, I just truely love this kind of thing. I basically put 2 years of thought into it. I was suppose to start my kitchen a year before I actually did, but My daughter got very sick, and we put it on hold. So I had alot of time to change my mind and think of things.You asked for 5-10 favorite things. I think 1 of them is the fact that I decided to go for the gray cabinetry. I was scared to just do a wall of it(how would the crowm molding match up,etc.?)but in the end, it breaks up all the white and I really love it.2nd- i love my counters- I really wanted marble but didn't want the etching, and I thought this quartzite wouldn't even hold a candle to marble, but I really love it, the veining is so natural and it looks like glass in the light. 3rd- I decided last minuite to change the edge around the island to go around the posts.I was going to do the eased like the rest because I didn't want anything too fancy, but in the end it added a nice touch and really makes the posts stand out without being too much.4th- we replaced our tiny window over the sink with a counter height one with transoms.We have a nice veiw of the pool to see the kids now from the sink, also we have southern exposure here so the light shines in all day and there are beautiful sunsets that we capture now.5th-my sconces next to the range- not sure why, but I just love these little suckers! I love the industrial feel of them, and they are a nice compliment to break up all the wood on the uppers.
    In the end I was happy with all the choices I made, however getting there was not easy. We literally had a problem with everything. There wasn't an item we bought that wasn't damaged, problems with alot of things, it's hard as everyone I'm sure goes through it, but in the end it all works out.Thanks again for looking and taking the time to say nice things!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

willtv- sorry I forgot to tell u, your welcome anytime to take a dip! LOL!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

roseofblue- sorry missed the question about where I store the plates,etc- My plates,mugs and bowls are all in the glass cabinets. I went and bought new stuff from crate and barrell and pottery barn so it looks nice but can be used for everyday.
    The ugly mugs that I couldn't part with, and all my 3 year old's cups etc. are in the draws under the glass doors next to the dishwasher, hope that helps!

• Snbtwins
    11 years ago

Michelle, Can you please provide the dimensions of the entire kitchen, sink to fridge wall and range to end of island? Thanks, I keep going back to look at your pictures, so beautiful!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    I see that in some places you opted for the valance but in the other places such as on the island is that what the standard baseboard looks like? Jason has had a hard time describing it to me. I am not sure whether to do valances or the solid baseboard on my island. I did a valance at the sink. I think it may look lonely though to only have the one valance. I can't do it at the stove since it is a range and I don't really have a spot where I can balance out valances such a you did with the refrig and pantry ( love that!)

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

snbtwins- i measured for you, the window wall to fridg wall is 16 feet. the range wall to the end of the island is 12 feet.Hope that helps.
    Pball- i put the open carved toekick on the spots where it bumps out only, so it stands out. So the sink is bumped out 2 1/2 feet, which i love, it gives me alot of extra room behind the sink and makes it stands out nicely.The fridg and pantry also bump out alittle bit, just enough to distinguish the 2 diff. bottom moldings.I did regular base on the rest. Most people do not do base moldings on their cabinets. I guess they feel you can hit them alot.we don't wear shoes in our house, so for us it's not a problem. I really wanted the finished look on the bottoms.I don't think they consider the island standard. There is a base molding on there. I think standard for them is having it open on the bottom, hope that answers your question.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Looking at your photos again (because mine is being installed right now!!!) and I have 2 questions:

How are you liking the island counter shape, specifically the ins and outs at the corners? The posts, panels and moldings are just lovely, and I love how the counter looks - wondering how it's working for you.

Your trash pull out - would you mind terribly measuring the opening and telling me what trash cans you have there? Mine has come out much smaller than I'd envisioned and none of the small trash bins I tried will fit. They fit in the rollout tray but not through the opening.

Thanks - and again, gorgeous kitchen!

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Looking at your photos again (because mine is being installed right now!!!) and I have 2 questions:

How are you liking the island counter shape, specifically the ins and outs at the corners? The posts, panels and moldings are just lovely, and I love how the counter looks - wondering how it's working for you.

Your trash pull out - would you mind terribly measuring the opening and telling me what trash cans you have there? Mine has come out much smaller than I'd envisioned and none of the small trash bins I tried will fit. They fit in the rollout tray but not through the opening.

Thanks - and again, gorgeous kitchen!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

michelle, can i ask you what the dimensions are of your laundry room?

i just find myself constantly going back to this thread just so i can look at your beautiful kitchen.

it just gives me that peaceful kind of ahhhh feeling!!

• roseofblue
    11 years ago

Michelle, Yes, new stuff from crate and barrel & pottery barn so it looks nice but can be used for everyday - love that idea! May we ask what pattern and colors are the new sets? Your plan works 'cause the glass cabinets look great! We have le crueset in Caribbean blue and some pottery barn, so far. But first we are trying to decide on the painted cabinet color! Our kitchen has a peninsula and no island, so we cannot use the island for an accent color. Have always wanted turquoise blue, not too bright & not too green, there are so many hues! The floor will be hand-scraped maple, so the blue will look good, I think! We are still looking for the Calacutta Quartzite (do you live near southern Ohio) or else we may use Statuary or Calacutta Marble. Thanks for sharing, this gives us all confidence that we will be finished, someday!

• beenzmail
    8 years ago

Michelle, I know this thread is a few years old but I was wondering if you were still around. Was your hood custom? How did you end up doing the back splash? I think I need to go change my entire stove/sink wall after seeing your plan. Thanks!

• redfalcon227
    8 years ago

Hi Michelle, Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!!! I found you and this thread because I've also just heard from my cabinet maker that he doesn't think he can install my beloved latches on my inset beaded frame. I've come so far in the design and much of it was based on using these latches! Would you mind sharing any details and/or pictures of how you were able to use your latches after all? Thank you!

• busymom03
    7 years ago

I know this is super old - but Michelle16, if you are still on garden web could you email me? My kitchen is almost identical to yours, and I have a few questions about the functionality of some things. I am getting some pushback from my KD on a few choices that are very similar to yours, so would love to find out if after a few years you are still happy with the layout. My email is discountmom03 at gmail dot com. Thank you so much!

• Bradford Bettencourt
    2 years ago

Hi Michelle16, long shot that you might see this but if you do would you be able to drop me an email? We are doing a kitchen with the same panel/dishwasher that you have plus the flush toe kick. I had a couple questions about the sizing for the panel on the dishwasher. Thank you! Email: bradfordbettencourt at gmail

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022