Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New DW: now or later

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 8:28

Our kitchen remodel is in progress and of course our expected expenses have morphed. Originally we were only going to replace our stove and hood. Then we decided that we should really get a counter depth refrigerator because it would help with aisle clearances and we wanted the sleeker look. The DW is one we could procrastinate on. We currently have a stainless steel DW with a full console, the console is black.
Current DW does an OK job, it is approx 8 years old, it is a GE triton. It does not have a stainless interior and some of the racks are peeling.
How big of a deal is it to replace a DW later with stone countertops?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New DW: now or later

We are keeping our DW for a few more years. If you attach it to the cabinets on the sides it should not be a problem. If you clips are on the top currently you can move them to the sides.

o

It's no harder with stone than any other countertop.

It should not be attached to the countertop, it should be attached to the sides of the opening.

o

As long as you have standard height counters, you should be able to switch out later. My old counters were shorter than today's, so I was limited on which DW I could buy. I kept it in the remodel, and I fully expect to have no problem changing it later.

o

Just make sure that whatever you do for the floor doesn't "trap" the dishwasher from the bottom...make sure you can slide it out.

We kept most of our appliances. If they work, I don't see the need to replace them!

o

Thank you. It is good to know that I have this option to save money. Even though I WANT a new DW I don't NEED one. So, if it is easy to change out later I would rather do that and use some of the money to other wants, like maybe an upgraded faucet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here