Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaums1

Kitchen Electircal Outlets & Switches

jaums1
15 years ago

Planning a remodel.

Any ideas for electrical outlets, light switches and disposer switch other than cutting holes is the blacksplash?

I'm hoping for a sleek, clean look, so I don't like the idea of interrupting the backsplash with outlets and switches, but want them to be handy . . .

Thanks!

Jaums

Comments (13)

• josie724
    15 years ago

We're mounting outlet stips under the cabinets, I only have one GFI and one Outlet on one wall. The wall where I have my range will be free of outlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plugmold

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I did flor. T-2's under my cabs for lighting. I use warm flor bulbs. The warm flor bulbs cost an arm and a leg but are worth it. I also won't have to replace them very often either. I LOVE them. I also got my contractor to love them as well. He only installed halogen (too hot for me) up until he installed my T-2's.

I have plugmold also under the cabs. Works great for my appliances, etc. I have a ton of outlets now. However, I don't use them very often as everything is hidden away now that I have more cupboard space in my kitchen due to my frameless cabs and drawers with full extensions :D.

I did a air gap for my garbage disposal. At first I was a little leary of it, but have decided it was one of my favorites in my kitchen. No switch for the garbage disposal on the wall any more.

I do have one switch plate in the kitchen. It has a rocker switch for my flor. under cab lights and my GFI. It also has my phone jack and a plug on it for my phone. It faces the wall that is backed up to the entry way into the kitchen, so you don't see it at all unless you are facing the dining area and leaving the room. Very unobtrusive.

I love having the plugs under the cabs. I get to enjoy my beautiful granite uninterrupted that way!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I used a combination of angled plug/wiremold and pop-up Mocketts as well as an airswitch for my GD.

However, I still have switches in my BS...but at least the # of "holes" in my future BS will be minimized. (BS will be installed later.)

The angled plug/wiremold is on my cooktop side and mounted directly under my wall cabinets...angled so I can easily reach the outlets & to allow for the large plugs many appliances and other electrical items have.

The Mocketts are pop-ups behind my sink on the sink/window wall.

One note, if you have an appliance that you keep plugged in all the time like a coffemaker, I suggest you at least get a wall outlet for that appliance. If you use plugmold you will have an electrical cord hanging down and very visible. If you have a wall outlet, the appliance will sit in front of the outlet and hide not only the outlet but also the cord.

Here are pics of our angled plug/wiremold & Mocketts:

Mocketts up & airswitch to right of the faucet:

Mocketts down:

Angled plug/wiremold:

Before you install any of these, though, check with your local inspectors to be sure they will pass code...especially the Mocketts. Some municipalities do not approve of Mocketts for the required outlets every 2 feet (or whatever code is where you live).

• Gil Roschuni
    15 years ago

I put plugmold under the cabinets and concentrated the wall switches by using a double switch on one side. The plugmold was countersunk 1/2" into the cabinet bottom to minimize its appearance. Likewise the undercabinet lights, which were countersunk 5/8" into the 3/4" thick frameless cabinet bottom. The undercabinet lights are controlled by a touch pad under the cabinet above the main switches. That means I only have the one double wide switch plate on the walls. I also integrated the colored outlets and light switch on the island into the cherry backsplash which is used like a switchplate. They practically disappear. The phone on the island is plugged into an outlet inside the cabinet behind the drawers and fed out through a tiny hole under the overhang. Here's some pix:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1466892}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• friedajune
    15 years ago

For the disposal, you can have a batch feed disposal style which does not require a switch at all. It is operated by pushing in the stopper and pulling out the stopper to turn it on or off. Some people believe it is safer too, since it cannot be operated with the stopper in it. Do a search on this forum and the Appliances forum for lots of discussions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insinkerator Cover Conrol Disposal

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We also wanted a batch-feed GD...but we couldn't find one for a septic system. The ISE batch-feed is only for sewer setups.

So, if you're not on septic, I also vote for the batch-feed for a variety of reasons (safety being the most important!)

[BTW...if anyone finds a good batch-feed GD for septic systems, let us all know!]

• heimert
    15 years ago

The outlet cut into the cherry looks really nice, but . . .

How do you access/replace the outlet if necessary?

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I have a pop up,can't remember what it is called, in the island. It has several electrical outlets, a phone jack and something for a lap top that I don't understand. It is a 6"circle cut in the quartz and you just push on it to have it pop up or down. It is not really very noticeable when it is down and I find it very convenient as the cooktop is also in the island so you can have several appliances next to each other when using them.

• Gil Roschuni
    15 years ago

The cherry backsplash/outlet cover is held onto the cabinet by two screws that screw into the back of it from within the cabinet behind. I have removed it a couple of times since I installed it, once to replace the switch which burned out, and once to turn it 180° for ascetic reasons. It's really easy to remove and replace it.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I had to fight for more outlets in my new kitchen! The GC's guys met the letter of code, I guess, by putting a double plate on each side of the sink (i.e., an outlet every 48" on the counter run).

Fortunately, I was home and was able to get them to add outlets at each end of the counter run too. Vital locations: one is for DH's electrical kettle (tea) and the other is for my coffee maker. It was one of the many incidents that made me wonder if these guys had ever been in a kitchen before....

We used black outlets & switches, and brushed metal plates:

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Abby - but where does the kitty plug in? ;-)

• friedajune
    15 years ago

[BTW...if anyone finds a good batch-feed GD for septic systems, let us all know!]

Buehl - Waste King says their disposals are septic-safe. I have the Waste King 3/4 hp batch feed, and it is an unbelievable workhorse. I do not have a septic system though, so cannot attest personally to that. But I put chicken bones, corn cobs, watermelon rinds, all sorts of things in there, without a problem. And I love that I did not have to break up my beautiful backsplash with a disposal switch. My model, the 9900TC, has a 10-year in-home warranty. Since Waste King is providing that kind of warranty even with a septic system, they must be confident about it. Can't beat that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Waste King FAQs Page