Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinakauh

anti-fatigue kitchen mats

tina kauh
9 years ago

I was thinking of purchasing one of those anti-fatigue mats to place in front of my kitchen sink. once I started looking into them, I was surprised to see how expensive they are (e.g., $50-120). does anyone actually recommend getting one of these mats, and can you recommend a specific brand? I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. thanks!!

Comments (16)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I have the gelpro and felt the difference IMMEDIATELY. However, I still have an issue with its price. Gelpro does replace FOC if it curls or problems but I would hesitate to recommend them b/c of priceyness. My suggestion would be to get the most affordable (to you) comfort mat and see if that provides the comfort you need. If not, then upgrade to gelpro. They do provide relief from my hard tile floor.

If not in the mood to experiment, I would say you will not be disappointed with GelPro. Having said that, if your discomfort level is great, maybe the first expenditure should be a podiatrist. There are some issues that not even the pricey GelPro will alleviate.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I do not have a GelPro, or any other mat, but I have friend who swears by hers. She did something I hadn't thought about but it is worth commenting on here.

She bought her gel mat in a color that closely matches her kitchen floor. I've always thought the things were horrendously ugly but because she got a closely similar color, it is not noticeable. We were guests in their home and it took quite a while before I noticed it.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

My laundry room and mud room have stained, scored concrete floors. They are very hard on my legs and back, but very practical for entering the house after ranch work, caring for animals, and so on. The kids got me a long Gelpro mat that matches the color of the concrete and placed it in front of the scullery sink and washer and dryer. It is miraculous! One of the most thoughtful gifts ever.

• cluelessincolorado
    9 years ago

I purchased one for my mother a couple years ago. While not gorgeous, it is so nice on your feet and lower back! I had some trepidations about the height difference and stumbling, but she hasn't had any problems with it. I will be purchasing one for myself soon with one of gel pro's many sales.

Amck - Thanks for the heads up about not vacuuming!

• alermar
    9 years ago

Not a kitchen mat, but I always cook in Volatile brand flip flops -- they are the most comfortable, cushiony sandles ever. I try to buy them on 6pm (Zappos's sale site). Problem is, I never want to change into "real" shoes for entertaining ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: my

This post was edited by alermar on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 11:56

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I just clean w/ a damp rag and mine don't really get dirty

• eam44
    9 years ago

Another vote for GelPro. My sister bought them for me, for when I cook in her kitchen. Her tile floor was killing my knees and I am in the process of renovating my kitchen, so I always cook in her kitchen. She bought sale discontinued colors and they were still pricey at 40% off, but I stand on them every day. Every day. They wipe clean. They were an excellent choice.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

I have one(don't remember the brand name-not GelPro) that I got from Home Goods for 30$ a few yrs back-it is great. So checkout the discount stores like HomeGoods, TJMaxx etc. My mom is visiting now and she loves it. I am on the lookout for a similar one that is compact that she can take to India.

• tina kauh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx everyone. Good to know it's worth the $$. Where do you find sales or discounts? I just started looking into them and haven't been tracking prices.

• tina kauh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx everyone. Good to know it's worth the $$. Where do you find sales or discounts? I just started looking into them and haven't been tracking prices.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

I have had the gel pros and the wellness mat. I prefer the wellness mat. My gel pro curled and the company would not replace it. The wellness mats are easy to clean, did not off gas and are super comfy. I have really hard tile floors in my kitchen. Sometimes they have clearance items on their website.
    Homepro01

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Everyone should have a squishy mat in front of the sink. It's just a necessity, if you cook and clean a lot! I love mine. Didn't pay as much as $50, but it was a bit pricey. Martha Stewart brand. Lowe's has/had them, that's where mine came from. Aldi's has $10 ones now, they're machine washable, might not last forever, but the edges of mine (which are imitation woven leather) are curling from getting wet, and if it's in front of a sink, it will get wet. The mat itself is not curling, just the edges, as they were glued together at the ends past the sewn seam.

9 years ago

I purchased the WellnessMats Antifatique Kitchen Mat and a gel-pro basket weave product from the Chef's catalog for my mother. The WellnessMat is cushier and higher profile; it also provides tremendous comfort on the hard tile floor and seems to have alleviated a lot of the plantar fasciitis problems that my mom was having. The gelpro mat was lower profile, but my mother kept catching the edge on that one and tripping. I ended up not leaving that one with her.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

I have a couple of these mats in my workshop. If black is a color you can live with, most woodworking supply places have them. I paid $10-15 each quite a few years ago, but I saw some within the last year or two that were about the same price.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I have the gel mats from Overstock. They are of very good quality, much better than any of the other non custom ones I could find. I only saw a small sample of the GelPro, so I can't say how quality compares. I didn't have as much choice in terms of size or color. (Mine are brown. Sorry one in front of the sink. Long in front of the range.). Can't imagine going back to cooking without them. So much easier on my back and feet.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz