Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Please Show Me Your 36'' Drawers

trudymom
15 years ago

Could you please show me your 36" drawers. I am still trying to decide on whether to use 1 or 2 pulls. Sure would love your opinions on how many pulls you used and if you wish you would have used a different number or if you are glad you used the number you did.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• josie724
    15 years ago

I'd love to hear a response to this as well, I'm having the same problem.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Here's our 36" pot drawers - the two drawers stacked on top of each other. We went with an 8" pull on each. Depends on your hardwood style though.
    {{!gwi}}

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

My daughter has 2 per drawer, but they often end up pulling on just one - no problems so far, but I think Coleen is right; after a while you could throw them off kilter.

You also need to consider whether you're going to have all your pulls the same size, or if you are getting varying lengths depending on the size of the drawers (I think this is more common with contemporary kitchens). If you are getting sizes to match the drawers, I would get larger single pulls.

• revans1
    15 years ago

We went with one, and used exactly the same piece of hardware as the pull for every drawer and every door.

{{!gwi}}

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Love my 2 pulls on the 36 inch drawers. I used 1 pull for all drawers less than 36 inches.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

My drawers are 30" and 32" in the island. We used 2 cup pulls. I am very happy with them. Sometimes I only actually use 1 to open the drawer. No problem at all after 2 1/2 years

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I have two pulls on my 36" drawers. My pulls are 128 mm pulls. Sorry, but don't have a pic of them installed.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think my pulls will be 4".

Thank you!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I did the same as lsandler....I used one pull on all my drawers, except for the ones under the cooktop which are 36" wide. Those got two pulls each. My pulls are IKEA, around 6 1/8" long.

• paulines
    15 years ago

Here's a 36"w drawer with 1 large pull (9-10" c/c).

{{!gwi}}

As a really general rule and depending on pull length & style, 1 pull tends to be more contemporary, while 2 more traditional.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you think one 4" pull would function just fine if I have pots and pans in my 36" drawers?

Thank you!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Trudymom, they'll be just fine with one pull, even a small one. Our 36" drawers are pot drawers and have one pull- the same 3" bore size that all of the rest of my drawers have. The pulls visually are 4" though. We're a function first family, and I knew I'd never use two handles at a time to open the drawer...so for me I couldn't see the point in putting on two handles.

• Gil Roschuni
    15 years ago

I put two on each drawer. I put them at the top of the drawer to match the windowed drawers next to them. It also makes it more convenient to open, since you don't have to reach down as far for the handle. Here's how they look:

{{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We went w/2 per drawer on all drawers greater than or equal to 30":

Pics (assuming you're not all tired of seeing my kitchen!)

36" Drawers (utensils, pots, pans):

33" Drawers (linens, Tupperware, Tupperware):

27" Drawers (gluten-free utensils, soup tureens/large bowls, baking pans):

24" Drawers (pot holders, baking tools & cookie cutters, bread):

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

MDMC

You kitchen is beautiful, what color is your granite?
    Also, what kind of floor did you choose with your white cabinets. Very pretty.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Sorry that I don't have pictures at the moment, but I decided on 2 - 5" pulls on my bank of 36" drawers. Everywhere else I used 1 pull, even on my 30" drawers. I am very happy with how it looks. I think it is better proportioned with 2. BUT, having just gone through this agonizing decision myself, I have decided that I would have been happy either way. Don't stress out too much on this one:-)

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I found pics of my cabinets with the handles installed. Not sure if you can tell, but the 36" ones all have two puls and the smaller 30" ones have one. Good Luck

• ichearts
    15 years ago

Cindyinsocal...what size is your island? I'm having an issue with maybe making mine too big. Wanted 78 x 48, but cabinet guy says 78 x 36 would look better. Areas all around are 42 inches off cabinets and 57 inches from cabinet run on the 12 inch overhang (sitting side). Also what type of granite do you have? Looks similar to what I'm leaning toward. Thanks for any input.

• maydl
    15 years ago

Don't have pix yet (soon!), but I used two 4" pulls on my 36-inch and 33-inch drawers (one pull on my 24-inch and 27-inch drawers). The double pulls give a "furniture"-like appearance, as you've seen in others' photos.

If I could have found a more traditional-looking 8"-10" pull that I considered affordable (I needed LOTS of them), I think I would have gone that route. But I don't regret having used the double-pull scheme, which actually had been recommended by the cabinet guy (and he wasn't selling the pulls).

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Ichearts...I would go with at least another 3 inches for the overhang....make it 15". That doesn't affect cabinet depth, but it does affect your counter. The NKBA recommends 15"...I think they're correct in this particular instance.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post that our pulls are 4"

• giacomo_it
    15 years ago

sorry the kitchen is not installed yet.

From tech_pictures
    From tech_pictures
    From tech_pictures
    From tech_pictures
    From tech_pictures

• soigne
    15 years ago

One 4" pull on all of our 36" drawers. Very happy.