Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillandmatt_gw

Should I add corbels? pic included

jillandmatt
12 years ago

I just figured out how to post pictures! Just in time to get some help on our almost finished kitchen. I am thinking about adding corbels under the two glass front cabinets on either side of the sink. Would it look strange to have them under those cabinets only, or should it be all or nothing?

Thanks for an

y thoughts!

Comments (12)

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

Hey Jill...is the sink going under the window? What will be housed in the glass-front cabinets. Your eye definitely lands at the window anyway, at least for me...Could you wait to decide until you got your countertops on? What kind of countertop are you planning?
    BTW, I already love love your kitchen :o)!
    Capegirl

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

To my eye, everything seems so clean and simple, a beautiful not too embellished look. I'm not feelin' the corbels, but then again; rarely am I drawn to them. I prefer an uncluttered design.

• ww340
    12 years ago

I am a corbel fan, but I don't think I would in your kitchen. I agree that it has a beautiful calm and clean look right now.

Also, by adding corbels after the fact, they might get in your way. My cabinets that have corbels are raised so the bottom of the corbels matches the bottom of the rest of the cabinets.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

What are you using for your backsplash? Will it go with corbels?

Are you planning to use a white or stainless dishwasher? What about your countertop? It's difficult to add details, without knowing what the finished kitchen will look like. Very pretty so far, though :)

• kerry17
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen but I also think corbels might be out of place. You have alot of straight clean lines and corbels will take away from the over all feel of the kitchen. Just my opinion...

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with keeping it clean and simple. The corbels may be a bit much. I can wait until the backsplash is in. It's being installed on Monday! The granite (new Ven. gold) was installed on Friday. The picture above was from a few weeks ago. I took some new pics today. Here's one:
    Capegirl- Did you purchase your Craft Art top? I remember that from another post. I am still in the process of finishing my CA DIY top and took some pics today if you would like to see them:

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

Some simple corbels maybe... they'd need to be rather plain, but they could be nice.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

not needed at all..the stacking of cabs there is a significant feature..let it rest at that..it's nice.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi Jill and Matt,

So beautiful!!

Love your kitchen, can't wait to see it finished. I'd skip the corbels. Less is more with this gorgeous, clean-lined look. You can always add them later, right?

Can I ask you...id the wood top for your island? What type/color wood is it? It's exactly the look I'm thinking of for my island if I go with butcher block, and I'm thinking wenge wood (almost black) is too dark.

Great job!!

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

I think not...it looks great the way it is right now...just one more thing to clean anyway! LOL

• jillandmatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the response. It seems to be almost 100% -no corbels. I am going to follow the advise here and not add them! Thanks again for the help!
    Madeline 616- I would love to answer any questions about the wood top. It has been a labor of love! It is from Craft Art's DIY store. I saved a lot of money finishing it myself. It is black walnut. I had originally planned on just finishing it with mineral oil, so I could chop on it but when I put a sample of the mineral oil on the bottom, it was not the color I wanted. It was too light and had an orange tint. I decided to stain it. I tried a couple of colors and decided to use a color called Moorish Teak. I am finishing it with Waterlox original and then Satin.
    Here is a picture with the mineral oil sample and a couple more after I stained it.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi JillandMatt,

WOW! You must be very proud, it's gorgeous. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great way to save some $$ and get exactly what you want.

Enjoy!