Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alermar_gw

Love this kitchen -- so creative & colorful

alermar
9 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-broken-china-makes-a-splash-in-this-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~30370748-of-the-week-broken-china-makes-a-splash-in-this-kitchen

I'd love to do a mosaic like this on the base our glass-topped kitchen table. My kitchen will be fairly modern, but a little bit of whimsy might be fun. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: [broken china backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-broken-china-makes-a-splash-in-this-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~30370748)

Comments (26)

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

I am sorry, I do not like that backsplash! It is too busy for me. The sidewall especially with the broken plate and the cup imbedded in it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I am not trying to offend you, I apologize again! I am only saying that you should think carefully whether you and your family would like that every day for the next several years. But everyone is different, I am only offering my one viewpoint, for what it is worth! I like a kitchen that is more peaceful, with a quietness when I am sipping my morning coffee. Also, that backsplash will force you to have a counter that must be very monochrome with no pattern at all.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

I love the creativity! I love French country decor so the hodgepodge of color and texture looks amazing to me. Would I choose it for practical purposes? Probably not but it's beautiful to look at!

I went to a very high end tile store yesterday and I was blown away by the vivid colors and textures available in today's market. They were works of art! Made me wish I had a small powder room that needed updating so I could tile it from ceiling to floor!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I have to say I like it, in particular, the part to the right of the stove. I don't particularly like the embedded whole plate and the section with a fairly large expanse of tiles. That looks a bit too much like leftover tiles.

I'm not sure how you would do this kind of mosaic on the legs of a table unless it had larger and flat legs and you use very small mosaic pieces.

Also, you probably need to smooth over with some see through material, so you don't scrape your legs on some sharp pieces.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I adore this kitchen!!!! It makes me happy, too.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I admire the creativity but the execution on this was kindergartenish IMHO. That's the risk you run. The more one strives for artistry...
    For a glass topped table- go for it. No cleaning issues. For a BS - never. But I don't care for most BS. They seem to be the one thing that dates a kitchen first. Usually becoming an undeserved focal point.
    But that's the great thing about individuality; you really can do what you want in the end.

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's definitely not a look for everyone, and the cleaning will indeed be a nightmare. I just like the out-of-the-box thinking, and I'm constantly on the lookout for things that will make our modern home look a little more eclectic. I've been thinking for awhile of doing a large square mosaic base for a glass topped table (very simple -- like a big box or rectangle) -- either in the kitchen or dining room. We'll see . . . Need to get the house plans approved first!!! Keeping fingers crossed for the end of this month.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

If you like it, go for it! I love the idea of adding heirloom pieces or anything that has a special meaning to you. IMO, that would help keep you in love with it versus just random pieces that you don't have a connection to. Go with what you love!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love the idea and have seen some really nice ones. I also considered doing it for my backsplash. It looks like they used a little bit of everything - I don't like the included, obvious wall/floor tile. It looks out of place.

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

I used to do a lot of broken dishes mosaics in the mid 90s. It was a lot of fun. I would never do a backsplash, though--too hard to clean! And too permanent. But I did tabletops, lamps, and other stuff.

Be advised: the edges of broken dishes can cut you even when they don't seem all that sharp. I was working on a little round tabletop once outside--it was on some upturned buckets and I was sitting on a step. As I leaned over to reach the far side of it, the inside of my knee pressed against the tiled edge, and I got an inch-long gash that required a few stitches to close! It was exactly the kind of injury that could occur while sitting at the table.

My sister has that table now but it's not for eating at and she has a glass top on it so that she can put things on it without them wobbling. I wouldn't do the mosaic on anyplace where arms or bare feet might rest. Do a plaque that can hang like a painting. Those are fun.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Love the creativity, dislike the reality (the backsplash makes me dizzy, plus it looks so messy)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I love this kitchen!! Of all the decorator-done kitchens I've seen, this is the best, imho of course. I agree with Mags438, though; I don't think I'd have used broken floor tiles. You can pick them out quite easily. Small thing, though; the overall effect is simply beautiful.

Thank you for posting this. Made my morning.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

It would certainly be a pain to clean, but I love the effect! I love the movement. I still find the kitchen to be serene and calm.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I really liked it in the first photo but the up-close was too much and sloppy to my eyes. I do love how they used real tile amongst the mosaics. I would use this little section of the mosaic as the bottom border and the square white tile throughout the kitchen. That I could handle.

It'd be so fun to just do what we like instead of worrying about all those things we worry about.

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Montclair Kitchen & Bath Designers Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc

• enduring
    9 years ago

I love it. Especially with that great color of orange. The place just sings.

• Kati
    9 years ago

Love this kitchen! I wouldn't use broken china, but would try to mimic the color some other way....not sure how lol I love the white on white with that wall color too TFS!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

What an interesting idea. Just think of the memories.
    A friend has a house with some unusual external brick. The bricks stick out funny ways and you can find all sorts of things embedded in the brick - including a beer bottle!
    The house was built in the 30s, so not sure if the builders were enjoying anything while being creative.

This could go to the next level - just like the recycled glass counter tops if someone wants to develop the process!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I have to tell you that although I love the talent involved, the lack of symmetry would drive me out of my tiny mind.
    I like the softness of the kitchen you've displayed, though. There's nothing jarring in these soft colors. It's very, very sweet!

That said, I saw some mosaics on Hometalk (I'm looking for now) that were pure artistry. The one I'm looking for had my dropping. I'll share a few I'm finding, while I look for the one lady. Absolutely incredible to the point I could have it in my home without trying to organize it in some fashion.

Old Glass Gardening Table
    This is just cool
    This is an incredible floor (that doesn't make me crazy, for some reason)
    As I'm sharing these, I think I've figured out the ones without a lot of white space between the pieces, i.e. ones fitted together smoothly work for me. Thank you for the growth moment!
    Initials.

Found her! Jan from Wisconsin.
    In particular, scroll down to see her dessert plates. OMG, I'm amazed!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I really admire people who have the guts to do whatever they want regardless of trends, whether or not something will look "dated" too soon, fears about resale values, whether or not others will like it or hate it, etc., etc. I dig it! I especially like the little half-cup used as a pencil holder ... cute!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I like the last application, where it's kind of on the edges with normal tile. I probably wouldn't like it over a range or behind a sink because of the cleanup, but in a corner like that it's cute! The embedded cup would be handy for measuring spoons, too, but what happens when you bump it and it breaks? Oh, yeah, more mosaic!

BTW, I just happen to have the plate used in the center of the range backsplash.

Could you embed a clock in a plate, done so you could remove the clock part when it's time to change the batteries?

CEF, I could see 3 of your 5 links. I especially like the initials, they are nicely done. But I couldn't see Jan or the floor :(

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I'm hitting the hay, but bpathome, I'll check/fix them tomorrow. Thx for letting me know. There were some really nice pieces there!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Is no one else reminded of the scenes from the movie How to Make An American Quilt where one of the sisters creates a mosaic all over the walls of a room (I think it was the laundry room) out of all the shards of broken china that she destroyed when she found out that her sister had an affair with her husband? It was one wild mosaic wall. That's all I can see what I view that backsplash.

(Anne Bancroft and Ellen Burstyn were fabulous in that movie.)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Nope nope nope.

Don't like it at all. To me the backsplash has "I'll cut ya!" written all over it, but at the same time looks like something that needs more cleaning than normal. I'm around enough sharp stuff on my own without adding more to it.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Looks pretty in a photo, but in my kitchen? No way, a cleaning nightmare! I also find with things like this, with a really busy pattern and multiple colors, I tend to tire of it easily. Like wallpaper, at first I loved it, after a not-so-long while I found I was sick of it and couldn't wait to get rid of it. Too busy, too much color for me.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like it. In someone else's kitchen. I couldn't deal with that much pattern on a daily basis. But it's creative and fun.

Did anyone else see where the houzz write up said,

"Because the client had a limited budget, she couldnâÂÂt afford a counter-depth refrigerator. Stephens camouflaged the bulk of a regular-depth refrigerator by surrounding it with cabinets. Because they added so much more room for the kitchen inventory, Stephens could also add a much-needed first-floor half bath in a former utility closet off the kitchen"

How do you go from can't afford a counter depth refrigerator to can afford a whole new half bath?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Not my personal broken cup of tea at all, but I still love it! It's so personal and you feel you know exactly who the person is when you see it. I love that in design. I also L-U-V the wall color. Thumbs up from this minimalist! :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I've always loved the broken china mosaics. It was really hot about 15-20 yrs ago iirc.

I like the idea, but I agree that the execution is less than artful. I do not like the tile samples mixed in; that looks cheap to me.

Overall, though, a pleasant kitchen. Thanks for posting it.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz