Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light colored countertops that are not quartzite/marble?

Posted by aimskitchen (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 7:21

I'd like to put light colored countertops in my kitchen when we finally renovate. It's a small, L-shaped room in the center of the house without a lot of natural light, (thus the light color) and is a workhorse of a room, due to multiple food issues in our large family - so I've ruled out marble and most likely quarzite due to durability/staining issues. Can anyone recommend (and share pictures?) of something that could acheive the same sort of look, with great durability?

I've not ruled out laminates, but have so far only seen darker colored ones I've liked. I've seen some nice corian, but KDs seem very down on its function and durability. Any thoughts/ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light colored countertops that are not quartzite/marble?

Photobucket

What about porcelain tile? Ours is commercial grade porcelain floor tile. It has been in for about 10 years and we like it a lot. It was about $2-3 per tile.

Our island is butcher block

o

We chose Kashmir Gold which, despite the name, is very light and not particularly gold. We chose BM Bavarian Cream as our trim color because it best matched the light color in the granite, and it's really a white. Kashmir Gold, at least ours, has quite a bit of blue, so that is the color we used on the walls. This granite has had absolutely no issues with staining, etching, etc.

Granite placement complete, Granite in.

Photobucket

(That hall wall is *not* green-it's the same blue as the wall with the photos on it.)

o

I think one option for you would be a white quartz. I think I remember being told that it is pretty durable. It is manmade, so some people don't like it for that reason.

o

3Form Chroma?

Richlite?

Brushed stainless steel?

Recycled glass?

o

we have white quartz -- Cambria Torquay -- and it's gorgeous! we have only been living with it for a couple of weeks, but so far it seems bulletproof. no issues whatsoever and my kids spill everything. it was pricey, but totally worth it. I am in love!

o

We have a very light quartz - Hanstone Aspen - which is similar to the Cambria Torquay. I truly love it! I originally really wanted marble but after testing many, many samples and seeing the etching, I knew I couldn't live with it. For me the Hanstone is the perfect solution. I've had it for a year and it's been terrific. In fact, I'm also about to put it in a summer house kitchen.

o

as others have mentioned, I would suggest looking at quartz countertops (manufactured from crushed quartz and epoxy), (not quarzite, which is a natural stone). They are very durable and come in tons of colours. My favourite "brand" is Cambria...the seemed to have a nice selection of more "natural" selections.
caspian

o

Another quartz countertop here. We've got Caesarstone Nougat. It was spendy, but I LOVE it. It's been in for a couple months now. Easy maintenance and no worries.

o

We have a very light quartz - Hanstone Aspen - which is similar to the Cambria Torquay. I truly love it! I originally really wanted marble but after testing many, many samples and seeing the etching, I knew I couldn't live with it. For me the Hanstone is the perfect solution. I've had it for a year and it's been terrific. In fact, I'm also about to put it in a summer house kitchen.

o

What color will your cabinets be? There are quite a few light color granites that others here have used. One is Blanco Romano. I have Ivory Fantasy and no problems in the 3 years since our new kitchen was put in. Quartz is a great option also as noted by the others.

o

We have Caesarstone quartz. Blizzard on the island and Pebble on the range wall.

Blizzard:
Photobucket

Pebble:
Photobucket

o

I love everything posted by circuspeanut; but I'd add that there are some light & pretty shades by Corian, too (heck, with the right cabinet color I even like the basic white). Rain Cloud was used in some pretty GW kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colors of Corian

o

Our Kasmir White granite was installed today and it is GORGEOUS!

o

Don't give up on quartzites! Not all of them have durability issues. Our Madre Perla/Mother of Pearl is holding up beautifully with no etching or stains and lots of hard use.
Photobucket

o

I just grabbed a bunch of white/cream granite samples. Of course you can't tell what the whole thing will look like, but it might give you a starting point.
CD5DA3EC-CF45-4413-8231-2FCA7F6AB147-197-0000001449CD24AA_zpsb53874d3

Left- Yellow River Light, top- Bianco Romano, bottom- Kashmir White
86280577-42BE-4503-BA25-35772FCF7BA1-197-0000001470563F3F_zps66f92179

Top-Cold Springs, bottom- Snow Drift, right - White Springs

Another few to consider are River White aka Valley and Delicatus.

http://www.granitegurus.com is a blog that is incredibly informative and worth checking out.

HTH
Kathe

o
What's wrong with Corian?

I LOVE it! Not cold, no stains, doesn't break your dishes, easy to keep clean, no sealing, no grout, integrated sink (awesome feature, no caulk to clean OR nasty lip to deal with)...it scratches, yes, but not very noticeable on a light color. And you will need trivets under your hot things. But, seriously, if we had a stone or tile counter I know we'd have fewer dishes. I often accidentally crack them against the counter when unloading the dishwasher. Don't rule it out just because it's manmade and un-trendy. I'm a busy mom of two little boys, 7 and 3, and it's been a wonderful counter!
Photobucket

o

I love all these beautiful counters! I especially love the Snow Drift, White Springs, Kashmir White shown and the Delicatus mentioned which I think is also White Alaska! Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here