Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartz countertops and support

Posted by chrissyb2411 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 7:03

I know the first answer to this question will be ask the fabricator and I will, but I would like a little knowledge first.

We have the fabricator coming next Friday for LG quartz. We have a small island / peninsula that will have seating. The end of the peninsula is an open top bookcase. The countertop will overhang the bookcase edge about 12", then about 12" on the other side for seating, with the rail at the back edge of the bookcase and the 3/8 inch back panel being the only support. Not sure if I explained that well, here's the picure. Do I need support anywhere?

photo image-9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartz countertops and support

I am a fabricator.

Rule of thumb is max. 12" unsupported cantilever so theoretically you're ok.

However, I've seen 2 instances in 13 years where a chunk of overhang was broken off; once by a teenager hopping up to sit on the counter and the second when two 24 packs of beer were dropped onto a counter.

so - I always recommend modest corbels (like 6 " horizontal) or buried rodding.

o
RE: Quartz countertops and support

Thanks oldryder. So the bookcase area should be fine, but consider supports for the 12" overhang? I found the lg quartz fabricator guide online, and it says their quartz can go to 14" without support. I'm not opposed to some hidden supports though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here