Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Microwave Drawer Pros and Cons?

kitchenkrazed09
13 years ago

My microwave will be placed in a base cabinet in my island. I've been thinking about getting a microwave drawer and was wondering about the pros and cons. Is the interior space smaller than a regular microwave? Is it harder to clean, especially the inside top?

Comments (42)

• Buehl

If it's b/w a MW drawer & a standard MW installed below the counter, there's no comparison functionally, at least IMHO.

• To stir/check food...it's so much easier & safer to open a MW drawer and reach down to stir the food w/o having to remove the item from the MW.

With a std MW, you have to squat down, reach in, and pull out the item...trying to keep your balance as you stand up while holding a hot dish to put on the counter to stir. To replace, squat down & repeat the process in reverse. If you don't squat down, then you're bending over, reaching in, etc.

Operating the MW...The controls on a MW drawer are in the front, across the top, and angled up.

On a std MW, the controls are on the front, usually the entire height of the MW and facing out, not angled up. To use a std MW, you have to bend or squat down to read & push buttons.
    Cleaning...Since the drawer comes out it's much easier to clean the bottom & sides. As to the top, it's probably the same whether drawer or std.

But, in both cases, if something is stuck on the top/ceiling, just boil some water in the MW for a couple of minutes and then clean. The steam from the boiling water loosens up the dried-on food and you can usually clean it w/a swipe or two.
    Turntable...The MW drawer uses a wave technology that doesn't require a turntable.
    Sizes...

• I have one of the older models, but here are the interior dimensions of my MW Drawer: 16" W x 16.5" D x 5.5" H

The newer drawers are taller than mine, but all the other dimensions (both internally & externally) are the same. My drawer does not fit a 20oz take-out coffee cup (or so I've heard, I've never had one to check...no coffee drinkers in our house!), but I'm told they do fit in the newer ones.

Model # of my drawer: KB-6025MS
      Model # of comparable new one: KB-6525PS

• 9"x13" dish...A dish this size will fit in a MW both front-to-back & left-to-right.

I know you can also fit a dish this size in the larger std countertop models; I don't know about the smaller ones.

24" vs 30" MW Drawer...Yes, they are the same size internally; it's the trim kit that differs. This is so you can use them wherever needed. They can be mounted under a cooktop, so you can put in a 30" one and have it fit nicely under the cooktop w/little to no additional filler.

The 24" models will fit in cabinets 24" or wider and the 30" models will fit in cabinets 30" or wider. You don't need to "oversize" the cabinet to install them. This includes all clearances needed....air circulation as well as plug.

In our case, the 30" one "fit" better aesthetically on our initial plan (b/f we discovered all our KD's measuring errors!). Now, If I had it to do over, I would have put in a 24" one and taken the "recovered" 6" and merged it w/the two 6" pullouts flanking my cooktop and put in an 18" trash pullout so I would have trash & recycle bins in my Prep & Cooking zones.)
    Opening/closing...

• Most MW...
  • Buehl

If it's b/w a MW drawer & a standard MW installed below the counter, there's no comparison functionally, at least IMHO.

• To stir/check food...it's so much easier & safer to open a MW drawer and reach down to stir the food w/o having to remove the item from the MW.

With a std MW, you have to squat down, reach in, and pull out the item...trying to keep your balance as you stand up while holding a hot dish to put on the counter to stir. To replace, squat down & repeat the process in reverse. If you don't squat down, then you're bending over, reaching in, etc.

Operating the MW...The controls on a MW drawer are in the front, across the top, and angled up.

On a std MW, the controls are on the front, usually the entire height of the MW and facing out, not angled up. To use a std MW, you have to bend or squat down to read & push buttons.
    Cleaning...Since the drawer comes out it's much easier to clean the bottom & sides. As to the top, it's probably the same whether drawer or std.

But, in both cases, if something is stuck on the top/ceiling, just boil some water in the MW for a couple of minutes and then clean. The steam from the boiling water loosens up the dried-on food and you can usually clean it w/a swipe or two.
    Turntable...The MW drawer uses a wave technology that doesn't require a turntable.
    Sizes...

• I have one of the older models, but here are the interior dimensions of my MW Drawer: 16" W x 16.5" D x 5.5" H

The newer drawers are taller than mine, but all the other dimensions (both internally & externally) are the same. My drawer does not fit a 20oz take-out coffee cup (or so I've heard, I've never had one to check...no coffee drinkers in our house!), but I'm told they do fit in the newer ones.

• 9"x13" dish...A dish this size will fit in a MW both front-to-back & left-to-right.

I know you can also fit a dish this size in the larger std countertop models; I don't know about the smaller ones.

24" vs 30" MW Drawer...Yes, they are the same size internally; it's the trim kit that differs. This is so you can use them wherever needed. They can be mounted under a cooktop, so you can put in a 30" one and have it fit nicely under the cooktop w/little to no additional filler.

The 24" models will fit in cabinets 24" or wider and the 30" models will fit in cabinets 30" or wider. You don't need to "oversize" the cabinet to install them. This includes all clearances needed....air circulation as well as plug.

In our case, the 30" one "fit" better aesthetically on our initial plan (b/f we discovered all our KD's measuring errors!). Now, If I had it to do over, I would have put in a 24" one and taken the "recovered" 6" and merged it w/the two 6" pullouts flanking my cooktop and put in an 18" trash pullout so I would have trash & recycle bins in my Prep & Cooking zones.)
    Opening/closing...

• Most MW...
  • Buehl

Sizes...

Opening/closing...

• Most MW...
  • donna murphy
    13 years ago

I am also putting a MW drawer in my island. From all the research I've done people LOVE them. Something I found interesting though is that the 30 inch and 24 inch sizes are exactly the same size inside, the trim kit is just larger for the 30 inch. I have to fit a warming drawer in there too so I am going with the 24 inch. Lowes just had a sale (GA) $699, where the local appliance co has them at $920! Hope this helps.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

We have had ours for about 2 months and I love it. Easy on the eyes (since it is down low) and easy to use. I am short and used to have OTR MW and was always nervous trying to pull hot stuff out of there. I love that the drawer is accessible and so easy to pull stuff in and out. Easy to clean for sure. No cons yet!

• Britt
    13 years ago

I would have loved it but I really wanted a speed cook oven and ended up getting the Advantium. I think the drawers are a great idea - hopefully they'll eventually think of a way to get speedcooks under the counter to. You can't install them in an island at all - not sure why.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I thought about the drawer. I know people love them, but I can't understand lifting something hot and liquidy up and out of a drawer without the risk of spilling. I frequently re-heat soup and other saucy dishes and melt butter in my MW. I know I'd spill often!! (Or maybe you just use much bigger bowls to reheat and melt.) The upward motion of balancing and lifting straight up from down lower just seems ergonomically strange to me. Plus, I'm 5'8" so I thought it would mean stooping down for putting in and taking out. A MW in a base cab would mean stooping as well so that's out for me too. I'm planning on making mine "built-in" at counter height or just above.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Lots of people resisted getting drawers for anything at all, when the idea was just an idea that someone told them about. I remember hearing this kind of resistance in 2008 and 2009 when I talked about drawers in general. My friends love drawers once they see them in operation, in reality, in a working kitchen. One visit to my place and they are so taken with the idea of drawers that they can't even admit they were ever against drawers.

You may develop the habit of filling things a bit lower than "to the brim".

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think I "con" that no one has talked about is future replacement. This is such a specialized item that I wonder if it, and replacement parts will ever just "disappear" like some other interesting kitchen ideas like the Nutone Food Center (now back in production I guess), the recessed papertowel holder (doesn't hold any modern sized rolls), & pivoting recessed toothbrush, soap, and cup holder (doesn't hold ergonomic tooth brushes, who uses small bar soap at the sink?) in the house I grew up in.

My parents had one microwave for 35 years and just replaced it. I have had 3 in 20 odd years... and my sister has had 6-7. If I knew it would last like my parents' did, I would be more sold on the idea. Some people's microwaves are practically a "disposable".

• melaska
    13 years ago

For those with MW drawers...do you have any issues with foods like soups that 'slosh' or spill when you open the drawer? Any shifting problems? That's one thing I've been curious about. I found a site that talks about the different MW placement. (link below) This was, of course, before the drawers had much history so it just touches on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: MW placement options

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I wonder too about lifting things out of a drawer that are hot and liquidy. I have an OTR and a counter top. I use the counter top one daily as I live by myself and am a MWDinner kinda gal. I use the OTR when I have parties and need to perform multiple cooking tasks. I will probably stick with that configuration even if I do remodel in the future. I think with a bad back lifting something hot from that position might be a problem.

I think the drawers look awesome though and think they will offer replacements, but once again, probably a costly item. I am partial to the Sharp rotating platter version and have had about 5 in 20 years including my current ones, so do appreciate the longevity of these appliances. My OTR is a GE rotating platter.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

This is one of those questions that is asked over and over without much new being added to the discussion. I know I have responded to at least a half dozen, maybe a dozen or more, and I can't possibly remember all the things I've said in the past in a single repeat now. I'd encourage folks who ae interested to search for prior threads on the same subject.

I do agree with holligater that the main con is price. I did it anyway because putting it in the base solved so many layout issues and made my kitchen work, and even at the seemingly ridiculous price, I believe it was still the least expensive appliance in my kitchen. I thought they would have come down in cost more, but from what I understand, they have a patented cooking technology in the drawer and the price is likely to remain high as long as they are the only ones to have anything like it.

As far as palimpset's concern about reuse of the space, the drawer has been around long enough that I am less concerned with that now than I was when I got mine. However, it sits in a 24x24 drawer base and the drawer below it is the same size as my other drawer bases -- not too difficult to figure out how to put other drawers in there or to finish it out. But I don't lan to make a change unless it is forced -- I am very happy with the drawer micro, even when lifting out all sorts of hot things. It's very accessible.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great information. This is really helpful. Buehl, you sound like an expert on the subject. Lascatx, I did a search before posting, but unfortunately did not find what I was looking for. Maybe I missed the previous threads or maybe some of them mysteriously disappeared like a lot of other great threads.

I guess my main concern is still being able to clean the inside top of a microwave drawer. When the drawer pulls out, is there enough room to get in there to clean? I imagine it must be hard to see what you are doing too.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I have no problems cleaning it. I admit, though, that if someone makes a mess in the MW, I make them clean it up! (That has more to do with training them to clean up after themselves than difficulty cleaning the MW.)

You do have to peer into it a little more since the opening isn't quite as tall as that of a standard MW, but I it hasn't been an issue.

Try to make it a habit of always using wax paper or other cover when cooking, it really helps to keep any MW cleaner!

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

I love ours. The only con I've found applies to impatient people like me :-): it takes longer for the door to open and close since it's a button you push and then it opens/closes automatically - and quite smoothly I might add. I've actually never had a spill from the open/shut mechanism.

I think it was harder to lift down brim-full things from over your head (our old one was an OTR micro) than it is from thigh level up to counter. Potholders work well if lifting a hot bowl.

I also haven't encountered something that won't fit. My tallest mug still goes in without a problem.

As for cleaning, just the other day as I was wiping down the bottom of the drawer I commented to DH how it was so much easier to clean than our old micro and how suprising that was to me. It's just a quick wipe with a wet cloth across the bottom and everything always comes up, unlike with our old microwave where I would have to drench the whole thing in 409 and wait 10 minutes then apply much elbow grease. I've never had to do that with the drawer micro. I can't pinpoint why, but maybe the material is not as "sticky" as our old microwave. Maybe it cooks differently so the food doesn't splatter as much. I have noticed the constant boil-overs we had with our old one don't happen in this one. It's a stretch but maybe it's so easily accessible at thigh level next to the sink that I am cleaning it without realizing/thinking about it immediately after a spill happens when it's still easy to clean up. The last microwave involved getting a chair to stand on to wipe out spills.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

My gets installed on Tuesday.

We've rented a lot of houses in vacation areas shared with lots of kids. The last one had a micro above the gas range. I thought for sure one of the children would catch fire or spill the hot chocolate. Reaching for hot things above one's head is crazy...

Because i want my kids preparing food and not waiting for me to mwave for them, i'm getting one ;)

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

One thing I did to account for the re-use of space if needed was I got the 24" drawer, but put it in a 30" cabinet (and used trim to fill the sides) so that I have the room to change it out to all sorts of options if necessary - steam oven, another microwave drawer, combo oven of some sort, a standard microwave, etc.

So if it ends up going the way of the dinosaur, I have options.

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

I just keep thinking of things to add...sorry, I know this is my 3rd post!

My experience with cleaning the top:

We've had it for about 4 months and I've had to clean the inside top twice.

Both times, I got a wet soapy rag and just leaned one elbow on the counter while "cleaning it blind" with the other hand. Then I would squat down and see where I missed. Repeat once or twice and it was done. As I said in the post above, the material seems to not be as "sticky" as others I've had in the past so it's not very labor intensive or time consuming to get clean. Mine's a Sharp BTW, can't account for the material Dacor uses in theirs.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

FYI....Sharp makes the Dacor MW drawers. They just have a different look and slightly different options. I think Sharp makes most of the MW drawers. I'm not sure about the Viking ones though.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I wasn't trying to sound like I was chastising, but I know there has been a lot of discussion about the micro drawers, including the size and the cleaning. Perhaps some of them are too old to show up now -- too bad.

I gave Buehl's long reply a quick read and agree with everything there -- it just wasn't there when I started my reply. And I' 2 inches taller and have bad neck issues, so an under counter micro wasn't going to cut it if I had to bend and reach into a cavern.

A drawer gives you more depth than one you try to install in an upper cabinet (our last one wouldn't allow a 13x9 casserole to turn fully or put 2 smaller plates) and the widths seem to fit into standard cabinets easier -- at least it did for us. My uppers are limited to 2 on each side of the kitchen and even the Spacemaker threw everything off. The only thing it has limited me on is my tallest coffee mugs (I like the really tall ones), but I think the newer ones might be enough taller to address that. The older ones are tall enough for standard cups but not all of the taller latte or super sized coffee mugs. If I'm desperate I can pour my coffee into a pyrex measuring cup, but I don't reheat often anyway.

Oh, to clean it, heat a cup of water for a couple of minutes and let it sit for a couple more-- everything will wipe right out with ease. I don't find it any harder than wiping out a counter top where I still had to bend and look up at the top. Different that the older above counter we had -- easier to wipe the bottom and sides and different but not harder to wipe the top.

• midwifekim
    13 years ago

Love ours. Manual open. No slosh. Had same concerns about hot stuff/ steam. Hasn't been a problem with normal precautions. Stick arm in to clean- but I vow to change to buehl's rule "that if someone makes a mess in the MW, I make them clean it up!"

Price is a con. And replacement is a good question. I think I could easily put a regular one in the space if need be.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the input. How far does the handle generally stick out past where a normal cabinet drawer or door would end? I really would like to get the microwave drawer based on what everyone has said so far, but I'm a little concerned because it will stick out further into the aisle than a regular microwave without the handle. That particular aisle is more narrow.

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

I got "lucky" and got my Dacor mw drawer free with my 48 inch Dacor range. I like it, but don't use it too much. I don't have any problem lifting something out. It usually goes right up to the counter above it.
    I must say though, I haven't read the manual yet thought I hate that when using defrost,It stops midway and you have to open the drawer to rearrange the food and then close the drawer. I don't know if I can circumvent this issue... annoying as I am not hanging out waiting for the food to defrost. I am usually doing something else and come back and the M?W is waiting for me to "rearrange"!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

The Sharp handle sticks out about 2 inches beyond my counter tops (which are 1.5" overhang. Basically the same as my regular oven.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

PeytonRoad...all MWs tell you to stop partway, rearrange food, and remove already defrosted foods. My MW Drawer does, my Amana did, my old Montgomery Ward one did, and my mom's Panasonic does.

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

I've been using my 24 inch model for 2 months and so far I love it! I am 5'8" and DH is 6'6" and we both love it! Kids love it too since it's right at their height to use (ages 5 and 3)!

Easy to clean, great for liquids since I have the soft close, nothing sloshes around. Buttons easy to read and use. It's been wonderful!

• darbuka
    13 years ago

Sharp makes the Wolf mw drawer, too. I was told this by the
    saleswoman/chef at the Wolf/SubZero distributor on Long Island.

• sewingdeedles
    13 years ago

Yes the Wolf micro drawer is also made by Sharp; all the microwave drawers are made by Sharp and rebadged. I installed the Wolf even though it was more costly for two reasons 1) the Sharp microwave recently underwent a design change. I read complaints that the new design did not have the same vents as the older model; the result condensation quickly ruined the finish on the surrounding cabinetry. The Wolf has vents. 2) The Wolf drawer had the option of being installed flush, and the design was more similar to the Thermador ovens I had purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Interesting about the Sharp-badged MW. Mine is the older model and there's no condensation on my cabinets or counter above...so I guess they took a step backward in the redesign!

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

sewingdeedles - is your microwave installed flush or standard? Thanks!

• sewingdeedles
    13 years ago

Mammabear - You know when it was installed I looked at the specs and it seemed to me that it would not have the depth required for flush installation, but as I look at it it really does not protrude much if at all. This model does not have any handles or anything else to stick out. In summary, it may not technically be flush mount under the specs but it sure seems pretty flush to me.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Yes, the engineers at Sharp just got stupid really quick.

The old model vented through bottom vents.

The new model vents through a rather large crack between the door and the top panel.

The previous model the door overlaped the bottom panel.

Just look at pictures of the two MWs.

Sharp lowered the magnetron and floor using the space once used by the vents. That is how they got the extra .2 cu ft. Now it is able to fit the Starbucks 20 oz coffee cup and standard casserole dishes with the top on.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I googled Sharp KB6525P. It is the new 30" model no reviews.

I googled Sharp KB6524P. It is the new 24" model. 6 reviews. 5 positive 1 negative.

If there was a design flaw we would see it here.

• sewingdeedles
    13 years ago

deeageaux - I googled it just now and the first thing I came up with was one of these complaints about condensation

http://kitchendesignnotes.com/2009/02/22/next-generation-microwave-drawer-ovens/

• terryisthinking
    13 years ago

I can give you cons. I've had it less than a year, and it's been replaced once, and the replacement doesn't work.

Find some other product to buy, this one is junk. Check the Amazon (wish I had) review - and you will see I'm not alone.

• terryisthinking
    8 years ago

I'm back with a mea culpa. A technician took the time to explain to me why I was having trouble. If you do not close the drawer with certainty - the sound of the microwave is a bit higher pitch. If you close it firmly, the lower pitch shows that it is working. I have had no trouble since I gave a bit of help in the automatic closing.

• Allison McKenna
    8 years ago

I have problems with the buttons on the Wolf drawer. It takes a few times to get it to respond. Most of the time when I hit the open/close button it activates the clock feature which is right below it. I was wondering if anyone else had that issue.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've had mine for over 7 years now and it's still going strong! It's lasted longer than all but one of my previous MWs. (I have the older model with the vents on the bottom.)

I have the Sharp-badged MW drawer.

Sorry Allison, no specific Open/Close button - I just give it a gentle tug to open and and a gentle nudge to close.

Terry, glad to hear yours is fine after all!

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

Allison, I have seen that once before. The panel behind that controller may be faulty. Seems to only happen with the newer wolf ones with the stainless touch controller. A technician was able to repair it in the circumstance I saw.

• sherrinav
    8 years ago

I have a Sharp drawer microwave and there is no possible way to get your arm in to get the top clean. With the drawer open, the top is now behind the drawer, so even if you used a long brush to get to the grime, any particles fall in behind the drawer. There is no way to take the drawer off according to all searches I have done. I hate it for that reason. As far as stooping over, not an issue. As far as height for mugs and such, that has been a minor problem, however, I am more upset about my mug being close to the dirty top!! The man of the house doesn't have a problem with it. I am completely grossed out. So please...what brands are these folks saying are not a problem to clean the top? Thanks!

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I easily clean the top of my Sharp MW drawer - it's an easy reach in to wipe.

I would never use a brush in any MW, btw. I'd be afraid of damaging it. If something is so stuck on that wiping it down won't get it, then boil a couple of cups of water or water + vinegar for a few minutes - everything will wipe off with a swipe!

BTW...the newer drawers are taller than the originals. I think those 20 oz cups now fit in the newer models. By "newer", I mean since 2011 or so. Mine is from 2007/2008 and is the "shorter" one.