Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Got my marble subway tile - see samples

theresse
13 years ago

What do you think? I grabbed some of the busier looking pieces and started laying them out for fun tonight, on the living room floor. The boxes seem to have a decent mix of plain boring solid white pieces, medium-business and then a smaller amount that have a whole lot of thick veining on them (not seen in this pic).

I'm hoping to get them all laid out (what a pain!) for the contractor or else do a system where my contractor knows to mix a little of each kind together for a consistent look overall. He seems to have a bit of an artistic streak so it may be possible to just leave it up to him (or not!!!) ;)

It's honed calacatta marble, cut into 2x6" pieces for something different. Not that marble's different anymore - haha. Not by a long shot. Anyway, this will go behind the new stainless countertop which should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm going for a period look so hopefully the white farm sink and marble tile will help keep the stainless countertop from appearing too modern. The old cabinets we have throughout the kitchen should help draw a person back in time a bit as well. :) Here's a pic of the backsplash area, taken a while back (before more progress was made - but it gives an idea)...

Starting to get nervous about the new countertop and tile installation...hope this all works out.

Comments (12)

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

I think it's going to look gorgeous. Can't wait to see it.

• kathec
    13 years ago

I think you should mix up the tiles yourself, but definitely tell your tiler so he doesn't "reshuffle" your tiles too much.

I think the SS counter will look great. I can't remember which brand, maybe Elkay, a few years back posted old photos of their SS sinks in an ad. Or maybe it was an article on them. Anyway, one of the SS sink companies has been pressing sinks for a while, as in 100 years or more. Those great old Victorian utiilitarian sinks.

The only thing in your kitchen that sticks out (to me) is the modern looking pendant. I'm not sure if you're planning to replace it, but something with a bit of curve to echo your farm sink would be lovely.

Can't wait to see it all together!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

You've done a nice job of laying out the tiles. They look smashing!! Can't wait to see the finished project.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it will all be great together. I absolutely love the hinges on your cabs, btw.
    I am doing a similar scheme only instead of ss for the counters we are going with laminate with the chrome banding on the edges and a ceramic, vintage look, bs. Even though those details are different, I think I am heading towards the same aesthetic as you.... simple, vintage, pre-MCM.
    I eagerly await your kitchen's progress ;)

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

onedogedie - thanks! :)

kathec - I'm still trying to understand how to lay out the tiles in a way that will make sense. If he wants to move them onto the kitchen floor at the last minute (I picture laying them out on the dining room floor since that room isn't being used right now), how would he get them into the kitchen so they'll be closer to him and he's not running back and forth between rooms, between each tile placement?! Someone else suggested putting them on cardboard pieces, presumably because they'll be moveable. It's kind of hard for my brain to figure all this out!

I wish I could see a pic of stainless used in a kitchen almost a hundred years ago. That wasn't seen often, that's for sure.

The modern pendant will definitely be gone. The cabinets and trim will all be painted Fieldstone gray which is a gray w/ a hint of green in it; the walls will all be cream-colored; the sink will have a period-appropriate pendant light above it e.g. from Rejuvenation House Parts; there will be under-cab lighting w/ a dimmer (can't wait!), and the light above the center of the room will probably become a semi-flush mounted light. I'll also lose the pot rack probably (still haven't figured out where to put the pots, but the pot rack clutters up the ceiling) and I'm replacing our small island's stainless top w/ a butcher block top (or else buying a small John Boos island w/ a shelf and drawer) so there won't be too much "matchy matchy" stainless in the kitchen.

Here's another pic of the kitchen:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49559819@N00/4846929893/in/set-72157624195005445/
    The following link is to the kitchen I'm sort of imitating (same colors, at least)...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Chris! Are you sure? I've never done anything like that and was just blending based on color intensity but I'm sure someone more artistic would do something more interesting!

Thanks, Dianalo! Question for you about those hinges: would you do the lower cab hinges in butterfly style too, or would you use the hidden/concealed kind so as not to try to compete too much w/ the upper cabs? I know you can't see my lower cab doors yet but the problem is that they're basic shaker style w/ one panel so are similar yet also quite different from the upper cabs. So I thought changing the hardware will give it a deliberately different look without competing too much (?). The lower cabs will have polished nickel bin pulls and latches. I'll keep the uppers and the rest of the room's hardware black because it's too much to deal w/ at this time... but if I use butterfly hinges on the lower cabs too, will that look too busy do you think?

I love the laminate and chrome banding look! Do you remember that link someone shared a couple of months ago that showed some famous person's beach house (or some vacation cottage of some sort) that used that look? Everyone raved about it and I was drooling. I'd love to see your inspiration pics or any progress you've made! The previous owner of this house gave me an old black and white photo of this kitchen long ago and it had what appears to be ORIGINAL (1913) laminate countertops w/ same chrome banding! The laminate (or whatever you call the product) was - she said - a pink marble-like pattern that extended all the way up the backsplash. I wish I could have seen it in color! I love sneaking pinks or tan-pinks into kitchens when possible (even if in towels and mugs, etc.) I even thought of painting my mudroom a salmon-ish pink!! Sorry for ranting!

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

lol; lol; lol In one of our rentals we just got rid of the laminate with chrome banding. I guess I should have waited a year, huh? Actually, it was pretty gross since the space between the sink & the laminate had black gunk in it.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know Still Waters... it sounds scary but hold on - I gotta dig up this great picture someone on here posted originally that I think/hope I saved...

Ok here, I just found it. It's the 8th pic out of 15, if it doesn't take you straight to the pic that shows the countertop. I think this one's formica so it may not be the same look you're going for, but definitely very vintage:

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this the look, Dianalo?

• shaughnn
    13 years ago

If you are determined to layout each tile, use a piece of "delicate surface" blue painters tape on each tile to number them all. I suggest each course starting "A1", "B1", "C1", etc., so the installer can collect them into piles and still follow your distribution.
    Otherwise, trust your professional after making certain that he/she understand clearly what it is you want in this design.
    Best of luck,
    Shaughnn

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Shaughnn! If I do that, where do I start and do I go in straight across lines from say left to right? Do tile installers start at the bottom, since finishing mistakes won't be seen as easily at the top, under the upper cabinets?

E.g. from bottom left to right row would be A1, A2, A3, etc, then second row starting from left to right (?) would be B1, B2, B3, etc?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...that Formica counter top in Tony Shalhoub's kitchen is awesome...thanks for the link...here is the picture for those interested.

Therese...I think you are wise to lay out those beautiful tiles in the pattern you like them in. I see so many posts where I think the owner had one vision and the contractor had another vision or no vision at all and it was just a job. Maybe take a picture of your layout as it might help. Your kitchen is just gorgeous and I can hardly wait to see it completed.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

vampiressrn - you're welcome for the link (I know!), and you are too kind about my humble kitchen!!

The only down side to having marble backsplash is that my kitchen will never be fancy schmancy...so for example the mudroom in the background is VERY old, funky and rustic - and that doesn't go so well with marble. Nor do my very beat-up old fir floors. But having very little movement in the veining will help keep it from being too fancy looking I'm hoping! The more appropriate tile would have been something more "charming" and cute but I just loved the way marble looked with stainless, and I really wanted stainless.