Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogarden_oak

White Kitchen Reveal (long post with photos)

lovetogarden_oak
10 years ago

Dear GW-ers,

It took us about 9 months (yup!) to complete our kitchen reno. We acted as our own GC and hired the pros to do most carpentry work, all electrical, all plumbing, flooring, backsplash and countertop.

We have benefitted immensely from the extra eyes on GW looking over our layout plan before we purchased our cabinetry. We are so grateful for the detailed discussions of pretty much anything kitchen-reno related (we read all buehl's post multiple times!) We love love love the inspiring "after" photos posted by the GW community. You have been a constant resource to us.

Thank you so much to everyone who had offered ideas, inisghts, suggestions, and gentle words of encouragement during our reno! You are really awesome!

To help reduce cost, we did quite a bit of work ourselves, though in hindsight, we probably should just hire the pro to do them as it took us soooo long to finish the work as we didn't have any prior experience. With the help of DD and our carpenter, we installed a new Marvin Integrity bay window to replace the aluminum garden window in the old kitchen. We naively took the job of tapping, mudding and sanding the newly sheetrocked walls and ceiling during the Christmas holiday (it looked so easy on youtube, but it took us weeks to finish the job!) We also installed the cabinets including the crown moulding, scribes and hardware ourselves. DH did baseboard installation while I painted the window trims and the built-in china cabinet. There was definitely sweat-equity involved here.

Our carpenter built a custom pantry with IKEA Rationell pull-out drawers to replace the broom closet. It is one of my favorite features in our new kitchen!

So, without further ado, here is the list of materials, plus our before, during and after photos. I will post more detailed photos in the FKB, including the inside of our cabinets, once I figured out how to do that. :)

Cabinetry: InnerMost (from HD) - La Porte (their shaker style) in Divinity Classic finish. The KD is a superstar (we love Sherry)! She was so patient with me as I kept changing the layout for the millionth times. The InnerMost Rep is also amazing! We are very happy customers!
Pulls: Asbury in polished chrome (from Restoration Hardware)
Knobs: 1 1/4" glass knobs with polished nickel base (from RH as well)
Countertop: Calacatta Oro 2cm marble slab (it took forever to find one that we love, but we finally did!) and prefab white quartz for the china cab (don't know the name of it... We saw the remnant piece on our way out from the fabricator's warehouse.)
Backsplash: 1"x6" white Daltile subway tiles (from HD)
Sink: 28" wide Julien 025 806 J18 (to fit our 33" sink base) plus grid
Faucet: Grohe Concetto Dual Spray Pull Down 32665 in Polished Chrome
Soap dispenser: Blanco Alta Soap / Lotion Dispenser 440046 in Polished Chrome
Garbage disposal: Whirlpool GC 5000 3/4 hp (from IKEA)
Air gap: Blanco 44036 in Polished Chrome
Air switch: Enviropure ENVAS1CH in Polished Chrome
Stove: 30" GE monogram gas stove ZGP30NRSS
Hood: 36"W, 1000cfm KOBE CH0036SQB-1 (seems to work well enough with our GE monogram stove)
Duct cover: 12" H and 36" W, KOBE CH0036DC12 308 to match the hood
Refrigerator: 36" counter-depth french door Kitchen Aid KFCP22EXMP
DW: Miele G5575SCSF
Microwave: 0.8 cu ft Panasonic NN-SD372S perfect for our family of three! (From target.com)
Flooring: site finished Santos Mahogany (2 coats of Traffic Satin, and 1 coat Traffic semi gloss which darkened the *eek!* pinkish floor to a beautiful reddish brown we now love.)
Lighting: canned LED lights on dimmer for ceiling, and puck LED light for under cabinet lighting, IKEA's Inreda LED lights (great value!), and RH school house light with oil rubbed bronze finish for the nook
Wall color: a custom color, somewhere between BM Wickham Gray and Grey Cashmere.
Trim color: BM match of HD Behr Pot Of Cream.

The before:

The built-in china cabinet before it was painted and had its formica countertop replaced with prefab quartz

The during:

The after:

A special shout out to palimpsest for his input on the fridge placement (thank you!):

The custom pantry with IKEA pull-out drawers:

Appliance garage:

Gas shut-off hidden in toe-kick area:

DH did such a beautiful job with the scribing (especially since he has never done any finishing carpentry before!)

GW-inspired details...

Grid in sink:

Runnels:

Under sink trash-system with IKEA pull-out drawer:

Oil/Vinegar pull-out rack:

Spice drawer:

That's all I can think of for now.

Thank you so much, GW-ers! We LOVE our new kitchen!

This post was edited by lovetogarden_oak on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 0:53

Comments (60)

• kai615
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had to do a double take at the first picture to be sure it was the same space! It looks fabulous. I love the runnels in the marble. What a great detail.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Wow wow wow! Loving the window, the runnels, the appliance garage (would LOVE to tuck my toaster away), the woodworking, and what a great idea for the gas shutoff. And the builtin cabinet is better than ever :)

You made a wonderful kitchen!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. I love the runnels in your marble. Everything just turned out lovely!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yowza yowza yowza!!!! Great looking kitchen! :)

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Wow, what a transformation. Your new kitchen is so light and bright. Congratulations!

• kam76
    10 years ago

Wow so beautiful! Love your crystal door knobs and the gorgeous hardwood floors. Can I ask what your upper cabinet sizes are? Do you have 9 foot ceilings?

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

What a transformation! Your marble is so pretty and I like how you incorporated the existing built in china hutch. Seeing the before and in progress photos was great.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Oh, this is a kitchen after my heart. DYI'er and all! I wish Alaska's HD had Innermost cabinets. We would have likely gone with them and they just look GREAT in your space.

There's so much to love here, but that before and after of the range wall is quite stunning.

I also love that you used IKEA rationell shelves in some of your cabinets. I am wanting to do that. Can you tell me if that was tricky to make work dimension-wise??? Did you have to tweak your cabinet size order to accomodate them?

Of course, the window wall is pretty wonderful, too. You have me rethinking if I should go with a 36" sink cabinet in my small house or follow your lead... I'll be spinning on that until I pull the plug, I suppose!

I had to laugh at your "during" pic. We have a very similar set-up for the sink/DW in our current "during". Except my partner put it on stilts so it can relocate around the house as he works. DYI takes a lot longer and is stressful, but the savings is quite extraordinary if you can tolerate it. I keep counting change in my head as we inch along...

Enjoy your new kitchen!!

• lothia
    10 years ago

How do you work when half your kitchen is on it's side? Jokes aside this is actually a white kitchen I really like. Are the drawers under the sink from Ikea instead of Innermost or do they both provide that style?

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Unbelievably beautiful!

Cannot get over how talented you and your hubby are! It looks extremely well planned and totally professional!
    I love the Calcutta marble and really wish I had the guts to have gotten it. I love your appliance garage! The window is too fabulous!

Congratulations! I hope you have many many many happy meals there.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Your kitchen if very fresh-looking.

But you do realize that many of the before and during shots and all but one of your after pictures are not right side up, right?

I'm guessing that you used an Ipad or Iphone to take them. As I understand it, if you don't have the device postioned correctly when you take the pic, it won't be right side up when posted here. It's not a GW fault, it's an Apple software issue. (You see them right side up because your device corrects it locally, but that correction doesn't transfer across all software and O/S.)

There was a long thread about how to manage this if you need to use an Ipad to take the pics. it was on the Home Dec. board.

L.

• smiling
    10 years ago

What a remarkable transformation! I just love the white cabs, white marble, and white backsplash combination, it looks so classy and serene. Your wall color is great in that room, too. On my monitor here it reads as a rather blue looking gray, but your notes don't indicate that. How does it read in person? That floor is beautiful with your other choices, and the window is stunning. Even the gas shutoff in the toekick shows your attention to the details, and they add up to one amazing kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration to those of us just starting down the path.... Hope you enjoy that success for years to come!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

lirio, I don't agree that it's an Apple software issue. As I understand it, the photos' EXIF data does have the correct orientation embedded. Not all software or browsers will use the EXIF to reorient the photos. After some research today I took 4 photos with my iPad with the home button top, bottom, left and right. I emailed them to myself and saved them to my Desktop (also a Mac). My understanding is once they're saved, they are right-side up for the duration. From there I uploaded them to Flickr, my online photo sharing site of choice. I included them all in a post in the GW Test forum. All of them appear right-side up.

It does take a few steps, but I think it's worth the trouble so that people can see photos correctly. Just my 2 cents.

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

Yay, another reveal! I dub this Reveal Weekend, even though a couple were last night (hey, it was already Friday somewhere...). You did an outstanding job, and you must be so proud that your own hard work resulted in such beauty! I, too, am taking away the gas shutoff in the toe kick idea!

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• new_morning
    10 years ago

All I can say is... WOW! What a gorgeous transformation. So bright and beautiful - love it, and congrats!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

That's a pretty awesome transformation! I know you must be so proud to see all of your efforts pay off in such huge dividends. Congrats on a wonderful kitchen!!!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks so much EVERYONE, for your enthusiastic responses and good wishes. it sure made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside!

Lirodendron and linelle, thank you for letting me know that many of the photos are not in right orientation and some are even upside down. Boohoo! Not sure what to do about that as tinypic.com seems to turn my vertical photos horizontal after it uploaded the image taken on my Ipad (but when I clicked on the image again after the upload, it righted itself.) I pasted the html tag to post the photos. So, maybe tinypic does something to the images? I should just get myself a photobucket account.

My sincere apologies to those of you who have to turn your head sideways and perhaps some acrobatic movements to view the photos.

On a lighter note, thank you so much for loving our new window! We are so glad we decided on replacing the old aluminum window. That decision took a while to make as it wasn't budgeted at first. Heck, everything took a while to decide, except for the garbage disposal :)

For the countertop, I was at first unclear whether we are marble people or not (i.e. ok with patina or need countertop looks new after years of use). I have a soft spot for the look and feel of marble especially Calacatta Oro. The trouble is I was afraid to commit. DH (bless his heart!) encouraged me to go for it. After much angst and soul-searching (do I deserve it, etc:) I am so glad I gave myself permission to go for it.

Firsthouse_mp, we are indeed in kitchen heaven! There are so much more counterspace now than the old kitchen as things have a place to go (like the oils, soy sauce, toaster, etc.) and not hogging counter space real-estate. Interestingly, although there's more counterspace for the three cooks in the house (we make our meals together), we often found ourselves in a traffic jam at the 28" wide sink (smaller than the old double sink we had before.) Lol! We didn't anticipate that!

Kam76, our uppers are 42" tall, divided into two parts: 12" for the upper part that has glass door, and 30" for the lower part with regular door. The single uppers to the left and right of the hood, and the one nearest the window are 18" wide. The only wide upper is 36" wide. All has painted finish inside, which matches the exterior paint.

Steph2000, we didn't tweak our cabinet order to accommodate the IKEA rationell drawers because we didn't use them inside the InnerMost cabinets, except in the sink base. The stack of IKEA drawers in the custom pantry fit well because we basically measured IKEA akurum 15" base cabinet, and designed our pantry to fit the rationell drawers (interior dimensions: 13.5" w x 22" d x 64" h). My carpenter figured out the IKEA shelf-pin measurements and used a jig to drill the shelf-pin holes. I wanted to post the photo of the pantry before the drawers were installed so you can get a sense of my description above, but tinypic is again turning my vertical photo sideways. I will try a different photo posting method.

Lothia, sideways kitchen...Lol. I now get it! At the time we purchased our cabinetry, InnerMost didn't offer a pull out drawer that works for an undersink trash system. I don't know if that has changed or not. For under the sink setup, Inner Most only offers (at the time) a pull-out caddy for storing cleaning supplies. As space is tight in our kitchen, we didn't want to lose a base cabinet for trash and recycling purposes. I will post some photos to show our setup of installing the IKEA rationell drawer under the sink. We were inspired by morton5's undersink trash pull out from this post :
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111733195143.html

Smiling, the wall color does read blue-grey than grey in person.

Thanks again everyone for your enthusiasm! We wouldn't have accomplished our kitchen reno, loving the results of our work, without the help of this amazing GW community!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ack! I must have typed too fast as the inches (") came out as feet (') in my reply post. Sorry about that!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the photo for the custom pantry (built on-site) before the IKEA rationell drawers were installed. The pantry is divided into to parts. The left side of the pantry has adjustable shelves. the right side of the pantry will have a stack of ikea pullout drawers. The interior dimension of the right side of the pantry is 13.5" w x 22" d x 64" h.

This post was edited by lovetogarden_oak on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 3:21

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, here's the photo of the undersink trash system with IKEA rationell pullout drawer. DH built wood pieces to attach the track on both sides of the drawer. We added the back piece to give stability to the two side pieces. That back piece is probably not necessary. But, it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Our sinkbase is 33", and it fits one regular trash bin, one compost bin, one big recycling bin and some cleaning supplies.

We were debating whether we want to get water filtration system and an Insta-hot. But, those didn't feel like a priority for us, so we drop them at the end. Maybe one day we will want them, in which case, we will downsize the recycling bin.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Someday, somewhere, I want a counter with runnels exactly like yours. If there are kitchens in heaven, I'm pretty sure they look exactly like that: gorgeous white marble, white backsplash, white cabinets grounded by a beautiful warm floor. Congratulations!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Wow! It's a truly beautiful transformation. Everything came together beautifully. I really love the wall color with the white cabinets. Oh, and the marble...gorgeous! I so wanted marble but didn't end up getting it.

Sounds like you are enjoying your new kitchen! Happy cooking in a wonderful space!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Huge smile on my face as I looked through the pictures. As another DIY-er, I definitely appreciate the work (and time) it takes to complete anything. Congrats, love the countertops, runnels, beautiful scribe work, floor, appliance garage and wall paint color. The gas shut-off in toe kick area is a GREAT idea! Congratulations on your wonderful new kitchen.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I especially love your Calacatta Oro and your sapele mahogany floors. You must feel a huge sense of accomplishent. Congratulations!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you kksmama, rkb21, oldbat2be, and romy718!

We did feel a huge sense of accomplishment! At the end, it was well worth all the time we put into creating the new kitchen. We also learned a lot in the process. Now, I am not afraid of a caulk gun anymore!

Kam76, I failed to answer your question on our ceiling height. It is 99", so not quite 9 ft.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

It is much more gorgeous the 2nd time, and right side up! Thanks for fixing the orientation of pictures. I didn't even "see" the paint color the first time and now I think I have to have it for my living/dining room.

• Linda
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! And even more amazing that it was DIY! Exquisite taste and so many practical, useful components -- the perfect combination! Enjoy!

• Linda
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! And even more amazing that it was DIY! Exquisite taste and so many practical, useful components -- the perfect combination! Enjoy!

• Linda
    10 years ago

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

It hardly needs saying again that this is a gorgeous kitchen, but of course I will. Gorgeous! You had me however, with those first photos of your future layout in blue tape. So smart, organized, and thoughtful. It is no surprise that the finished product is fabulous. Enjoy! Nine months to get your "baby" here seems just right :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Excellent! Love the window!

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow! What a transformation. I love the window and gorgeous floors. Enjoy!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol! That's so funny, and quite true, cluelessincolorado! Thanks for that refreshing perspective and your kind comments!

Legallin, thank you too for your compliments! I love that word: exquisite. Although, I had the funny feeling that sometimes we were swallowed in details...and it is such a relief to have completed the project.

Kksmama, glad you love the wall color, too. The color, as I rummaged through my paint cans to get you the code, is even more complicated than I let on.... It was an accidental mix. At our suggestion, our painter threw some of our BM sample colors into the primer to increase the quantity. At the time, we hadn't yet nailed the wall color, though I knew I wanted something like BM Wickham Gray (which unfortunately looks green on some of the walls). When I saw his mix I was wide-eyed with delight: "That's it!" Unfortunately, the exact color is therefore difficult to know exactly. Generally speaking, it is a mix of 1/2 gal BM Wickham Gray with 1/4 gal of the custom color mix. The custom color's BM code is 12-3802 if it is of any help. (I don't know whether BM paint stores shared a database of custom color mixes.)

And thanks go to my tech support team (DH) who laboriously downloaded, fixed and uploaded the rotated photos last night! It's good to know they are right-side up for everyone.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Late to the thread, but congratulations on completing the journey. I too especially love the counters, the runnels, the wall color and sink window.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

LoveToGardenOak, I LOVE your white Kitchen and the InnerMost (from HD) - La Porte (their shaker style) in Divinity Classic finish is what I planned to get a price from after my deadline. I wanted to go with Inset but I need Frameless and all the room I can have as my kitchen is small at only 14 X 10. I want the shaker look.

Where are you located (the State you are in) as your Home Depot Kitchen Designer did a great job! I wonder if she can help me over the phone and I can order from her or do I have to use a Home Depot KD in NJ?

I love the pro-handles on your Kitchen-Aid Counter Depth Refrigerator so much! I love all the organizers and the hardware chosen as well as all your appliances. Your counters are gorgeous. I love the pull-out under the sink with the trashcan! What a great idea so I will not use up my precious cabinet space that I need so badly.

I love your backsplash, the hidden hinges, the beautiful hardwood floors, your LED lighting and your wall color. Thank you so much for sharing and letting us know the details!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Backsplash: 1"x6" white Daltile subway tiles (from HD) is so beautiful and calming like I want. What grout brand and color did you use as it looks perfect to me?

• dljmth
    10 years ago

Wow. What a transformation. The attention to detail really shows. Also, very clever idea about the gas shut off. Quick easy access.

I especially like your wall colors. Nice job!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Lovetogarden Lovetohaveyourkitchen!!
    Seriously beautiful.
    Can you please tell me how tall your ceilings are? I love that cabinet style.
    Can't read some of your details because of the stupid ads overlaying your post. Can you please post in here what you wrote about your cabinets? Shaker style in Divinity purchased from Home Depot... What is the brand name and specific style? Can't see that.
    Are they maple, maple with MDF center or ?

Also did home depot do your install, another contractor,or DIY?

Been eying Santos flooring for years, but afraid it would be too reddish especially with some teak peieces I have, but yours looks fantastic. Can you please tell me about your finish? Again those details are lost in the ads.

Love it all.

BTW that's the first I've seen painters tape marking the cab layout. Good idea. I might try that to get a better vision of my own!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for the new and delightful responses to our kitchen!

We like the gas shutt off at the toe-kick, too. Wish I remember where we got that idea from so we can properly credit him/her for this brilliant solution.

Lyn2006, we are in CA and our HD is in Emeryville. Ask for Sherry in the Kitchen Dept. I hope she is still there! I don't know if you can order from her or you need to use the HD in your area. But, it's worth a call. The thing is, we met with Sherry pretty often when we were tweaking our layout design. So, I think you might find it more helpful to work in person with a KD in your area. Just my two cents.

The grout for the backsplash is Fusion Pro single component grout from HD, color: Bright White.

Island, thanksforlovingourkitchen! I am sorry the ads are blocking the details in the reveal. I wonder if there is a "close" or an "x" button on the ads to make them go away? Glad you liked our painter's tape idea. Again, we got the idea to do it from someone else :) Our ceiling is 99" tall. Our cabinetry from HD is Inner Most, La Porte style in Divinity Classic color. It is all maple doors and drawers. No MDF center on the door. We upgraded to all plywood boxes. For the uppers, we upgraded for the finished interior (i.e. the interior color matches the exterior, and not the standard melamine or veneer interior.) We installed the cabinets ourselves. The floor, done by our floor guy, had oil-based sealer applied first, and then 2 coats of Bona Traffic Satin followed by 1 coat of Bona Traffic semi gloss finish. After the second coat of Traffic satin finish, the floor was too pink and didn't have enough sheen for my taste. I didn't like it at all and was regretting this choice of wood. Thanks to GW-er, kitchenkrazed, who suggested using Bona Traffic semi gloss finish to fix the dullness of the floor, we amazingly fixed two problems at once. Not only the semi gloss finish gave the floor a rich lustre (not too glossy but definitely not dead dull either), it also turned the floor color into a darker brown though still with a reddish undertone. We love the color and the sheen now.

• teeda
    10 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous and functional kitchen. You did an amazing job. Enjoy!

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Beautiful eye candy for me and what a joy for you. So many nice things to comment on:
    cool white and grey blue walls balanced by warm floors
    wonderful window
    glass uppers break up and somehow lighten the space

It makes me smile to think of the pleasure working in this wonderful space must give you.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

Wow! You definitely win the award for "Most Improved." I love everything about it! The marble is gorgeous, the layout is great, and those stacked cabinets are adorable. Congrats on a great job!

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, wma89, bellamom and mpagmom! We are so glad you like our kitchen as much as we do, too!

We got a photobucket account, yay! And, we have uploaded our finished kitchen (the photos above) and more details such as the sink tip out and photos of the inside of the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kicthen on photobucket

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, wma89, bellamom and mpagmom! We are so glad you like our kitchen as much as we do, too!

We got a photobucket account, yay! And, we have uploaded our finished kitchen (the photos above) and more details such as the sink tip out and photos of the inside of the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished kicthen on photobucket

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! Congratulations on a great transformation. I have to say the gas shutoff is perfect! Wish we had thought of it!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

That is beautiful! Congratulations on a great transformation. I have to say the gas shutoff is perfect! Wish we had thought of it!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I had to look at your kitchen again and I know these are the cabinets I want and after my deadline, I will get a price from Home Depot. Thank you! Love the color also as it is white but not stark and I am glad you had white things in the picture to see this. Love the hardwood chosen also. I also love your Santos Mahogany floors and your doggie!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Gas shut-off in the toe kick area. Brilliant!

Very nice. Love your knobs.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I especially love your window above the sink, but it's all wonderful.
    Love the idea of gas shut off in toe kick. May borrow that idea.

• mcdkem50
    6 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. May I ask what color was used to paint the ceiling? Also the Wickham gray customized color- in image with refrigerator is it still the same color? Appears bluer to left side of image. I have been searching for a blue and love this in your kitchen.