Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

Cabinets finally going in tomorrow... make that TODAY

joygreenwald
9 years ago

And once again, I can't sleep. It's 4am. My crew comes in 3.5 hours. The cabinets have been here for over a month. The walls are freshly bplastered and painted. Nothing can be changed now. So, of course, I'm questioning every choice I've made, right down to keeping the one wall that could have been removed to make a totally open kitchen and choosing a peninsula instead of an island. Holey moley!

The kitchen is 10' x 8', open on one side to the dining room. I designed it to be super functional and give me the storage space I have been sorely lacking. I KNOW I couldn't afford to lose a wall. And I love the peninsula design. I'm just torturing myself.

I thought my sleepless nights were over. Ha!

I will report in tomorrow or Wednesday morning. They are starting the install with the base cabinets and promise they will all be in before Wednesday afternoon so granite can be templated Wednesday. Then they will finishing hanging Thursday/Friday.

Pending no disasters, granite install is Monday, and we have a semi functional kitchen in time for Rosh Hashanah. Here's hoping!

Comments (51)

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful! Everyone second guesses their decisions but it sounds like you put every ounce of energy into making sure the space functions for you.

Shana tova! Wishing you a happy and healthy new year in your new kitchen!

• sandmtn_gw
    9 years ago

Super exciting! I can't wait to get there! And wishing you well!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Sounds like all your choices were well considered, so I bet you're going to love your new kitchen as you designed it. Keeping fingers crossed for you that the installs go according to plan. Cheering you on from here!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Hope all is going well. Hoping for a sleepFUL night tonight.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Fingers crossed for good news!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Well?
    Was that 4 am edt or Cupertino time?
    I remember those sleepless nights

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

4am edt. I slept pretty well from 5:30-7:45, which would have been good if my alarm hadn't been set for 7. They didn't make as much progress as any of us hoped, but they are still optimistic that they'll be done in time for templating. And I'm going to take advantage of better living through chemistry and hope that aids sleep tonight.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

LOL
    Sweet dreams!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Sleep well & pics for us in the next few days.

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

It's better that they take there time and do it right the first time. When I installed my cabinets, it was measure 4 times, install once.....

Can't wait to see pictures.

Sweet Dreams.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I promise pictures at the end of the day today.

Oh yes, they are meticulous. Each cabinet takes a long time for them to get in perfectly. I can't watch because it's maddeningly exacting work.

But the issue was how much longer it took than anyone expected to excavate the sub floor. (My daughter wanted to know of the horrible 50s linoleum they found under the tile and plywood was our new floor. Lol) They had left most of the floor in place during the rest of demo because they didn't want the sub floor to get damaged. The tiles they had removed so far has come up easily and no one exit edged out to take half a day to remove the floor. From just where the cabinets are going.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Duplicate post, sorry.

I'll just add that I did sleep last night. Yay!

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 7:27

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The base cabinets are in, and the template is done. I go to the fabricator tomorrow so we can place the template on the stone. So far, so good!

I spent some time today trying to get my pictures into a form that I can batch post, but I'm giving up for the night. I'll post one or two though, so I don't leave you hanging.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another angle. Had to snap the photos during templating. It was fascinating.

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update and photo, you must be soooo happy.

I've never seen templating done that way, I'll assume those white strips are part of the templating process?

When they did mine there was a machine in the center of the cabinet area and they used a type of marker and tapped it on each edge of every corner and it was on a computer screen in a matter of minutes. They were able to tell how far off each wall and cabinet was within 1/32".

More pictures tomorrow.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had no idea how templating was done, and I'll admit to bring quite surprised by the hot glued white strips. (You're high tech systems sounds more impressive. Lol) But they were exacting in their measurements. (And I did my homework before choosing my fabricator. Lots of happy customers.). They'll take those white forms and move them around on the stone for me so I can choose the orientation that makes me happiest.

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

My way of thinking is..........it doesn't matter how others complete the task, as long as the client/customer is happy in the end.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Our Corian was templated exactly the same way and it couldn't have been more perfect!

You're doing Barker Cabinets, right? Those white stickers look familiar!!!! Can't wait to see more pics!

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

My granite was also templated that way with no issues. Looks good!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dcward89, yes. Those are Barker cabinets. Clearcoat cherry. Of course, so far, the only significant amount of the cherry you can see is the end panel next to the pantry. Here's a picture I took of two blinds with one floor tile. It's like a tiny preview.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I knew those were Barker and I thought they were cherry...so gorgeous. We have the same thing and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! It's funny because your layout is similar to ours with a u-shape and then the cabinets on the other side of the room!!! I'm really excited for you and will be watching for all the pics!!

Oh...and your floor has a similar slate-look like ours too!!! You have good taste!!!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my template on my stone. The fabricator was excited. I think he genuinely loves the stone.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

It is beautiful! And efficient use of the whole slab - very nice!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had granite nightmares, but at least I slept. Lol. But it's in, and I love it.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one more. This is a close up with a few backslash tiles quickly leaned against the wall before I left for work so I could see what they will look like together.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm home from work, and I just have to share one more. Lol. I will have nothing surprising at my reveal if I keep this up.

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Great photos. Please continue! I'm planning on using Barker cabinets and these are so helpful. What specific "susan" product are you using? Did you get that from Barker as well?

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Holy crap! That's beautiful! What kind of granite is it?? MOAR PICTURES!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DIY2Much2Do, that isn't Barker's Susan. It's Omega's 30" Super Susan, ordered from Amazon. It fits perfectly on the bottom shelf. It overhangs the top shelf a little, since that shelf is cut back to be easy reach. (I wonder if Barker would custom make that to be the same depth as the bottom.). But my husband says it's totally secure. (I can't wait to get pictures of the custom blind corner my husband engineered, but it isn't fully installed yet.)

Swentastic, it's Bros Blue leathered. It was hard to find. I had to make a LOT of calls and do a fair amount of driving. Totally worth it. I love it! :)

Sorry, no more pictures for now. I'm out of town until Saturday, and I'm taking the red eye and going straight to work on Sunday. I can't wait until I'm posting my official reveal. But if I can't get my contractor in to finish, it will be too long.

• houston70sranch
    9 years ago

I don't like granite, I have never, ever seen a piece of granite I loved...despite watching way too much HGTV and your granite is AMAZING!! So beautiful! I'm checking out Bros. Blue granite right now!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Houston70sRanch. You put a smile on my face.

Not that this is unique to Bros Blue, but I was shocked by how much different lots varied in appearance. I saw three lots of Bros Blue (sometimes spelled Bross Blue, aka Vibrant Blue) and two lots of Bros Blue leathered spread over three different granite distributors (if that is the right word.) I found one lot of polished and one lot of leathered that I liked. Two of the lots were completely unacceptable to me. I was also very drawn to soapstone. But soapstone was a lot more expensive, and we have two kids, two dogs, and two cats. I was worried about our beating it up past patina and into destroyed. ;)

I realized I have another photo I hadn't shared yet...

• houston70sranch
    9 years ago

I'm also very drawn to soapstone and I think that is what I like about your granite, its similar, but actually I think I like it better! Thank you for sharing the next picture. My better half has demanded granite for the reno and I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't find any that I like. I didn't even know this one existed which makes me think I better get off my duff and go looking at the yards.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Beautiful stone! I'm very partial to soapstone and your granite - at least in these pictures - really has the look. Nice to see your progress.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are getting closer. Floor is in. Most of the uppers are in. We still have a few more uppers and all the trim work to go. But here's the floor. And, as you can see, the sink is plumbed, and the kitchen is partially in use.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's really coming together!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Looking great!! Love the floor! Can't wait to see those doors and drawer fronts on!

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Exciting. I also plan to use Barker cabinets. Could you tell me how much space is between the top of the upper cabinets and the ceiling? Are you planning to leave the space or fill it in some way? I'm trying to figure out that detail for myself now. Thanks.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DIY2Much2do, it's somewhere between 1.5 and 1.75 inches. We are using Barker's crown molding, the one that looks like an L. But my installers are ripping it down to size. They will get as tight a fit to the ceiling as they can and use white caulk to hide any tiny gaps. I wanted minimal crown molding, but I absolutely didn't want a space.

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Joy, thanks for the info on your crown solution. Coincidently, my layout (still on paper) currently has 1.75 inches of space at the top also. I look forward to seeing what your installation looks like!

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

I love that granite, did you do your homework/driving to different stone yards by yourself or with your contractor. That's so awesome that they were able to puzzle piece it onto one slab! Congrats on almost being done!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ginzhomestead, Yes. I went to three different yards. I had seen Bross blue polished in a kitchen display. I ended up seeing three lots of Bross blue polished and two lots of Bross blue leathered before I tagged my slab. (And that was after I drove my fabricator crazy with quotes for Tan Brown, Steel gray, and quartz lol) For us, it really came down to soapstone or the Bross blue leathered. The Bross blue had a similar look at a significantly lower price point and with tougher wear. Given our household, we thought our pets, kids, etc would take us past soapstone patina and into soapstone destruction.

DH and I stayed up late getting all the doors (except the lazy Susan, which is going to require reading the instructions) and drawer fronts on. Since the electrician and plumber address coming soon, I'll go get dressed and save photo updates until the _appliances are in_. I may actually have a functional kitchen before the day is done!!!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't forgotten you. It's just been a long day. Much still left to do: crown molding, backsplash, hardware, finished ends, doors for lazy Susan, covering the gaps, cleaning the cabinets, and filling them. But I cooked dinner and washed up.

I know I need to figure out the multiple photos thing, but did I say "long day"? Here is one view.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View 2:

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a final view for today:

• renosarefun
    9 years ago

That looks amazing, thanks for posting. It's always nice to see a wonderful kitchen come together.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

O. M. G...that cherry in the slab doors in absolutely STUNNING!!! Now I wish I had done slab instead of shaker. Seriously, they are gorgeous!!!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Those slab cabinets are gorgeous and they tie in so well with the floor. Beautiful job.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love your counters and your natural cherry cabinets! I can't wait to see more of your reveal!

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Hello again Joygreenwald... I was wondering if you have any more updates or photos of your kitchen. I love it. Thanks.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me!! I've been using my kitchen, but not much more has been done. I had to order a few supplemental pieces. They shipped today. Pulls are in route. Backslash had been on hold while the installers soon has been in the hospital with pneumonia. But he's out. So, if all goes well, I'll be ready for my reveal before Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed.