Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janellec_gw

Marble Benchtop matching

JanelleC
11 years ago

We recently have had to have half of the Calacutta marble replaced in our kitchen. We have 20mm with laminated edges to 40mm. We went to the marble supplier we were told to go to by our kitchen person and found a slab which had similar markings to ours. We were told to ask for the 20mm slabs. The marble warehouse took us to 2 stacks of them and we chose a piece. The marble expert mde the benchtops and they are on 36mm thick whilst the rest of our kitchen is 40mm. When the marble man came to our house to masure up he said that Calacutta was one of the most expensive ones and it comes in 3 grades and we had the most expensive. I have since spoken to a few marble places who say that it is acceptable to have a variance in thickness of 2mm but with ours it works out at 4mm because it is laminated on the edges. One of them told us the cheaper marble being imported can be 17 to 21 mm thick whilst the A Grade is always 20mm to 22 mm thick. Can someone tell me about the standards/ types of grades or anything that will help me sort out this terrible situation? our beautiful kitchen is ruined and i don't know what to do.

Comment (1)