Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help for Quartzite counters

Posted by racerja (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 3:41

Hi All,
We are in the home stretch (fingers crossed) for our home remodel. We've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is our first post :)

We really need help right now with our kitchen backsplash... We spent a long time searching high and low for a counter that looked like marble (Calacatta Oro) after we learned how bad the etching was. We fell in love with Lumix quartzite.

The Lumix countertops are now installed, and we are having a problem picking our backsplash. Our original plan was Artistic Tile - Opera Glass in Wolfgang White . Our cabinets are dark expresso cherry shaker and we have no upper cabinets, so we want to cover the entire wall behind the stove with tile.

We are now thinking of white Carrera (or Venatino) marble 2x4 subway tiles but we're worried this may look boring with so much of it in one place. Please help us find the right backsplash! We love the contrast between dark and light and striving for a more modern look.

That's where we stand, here are some pictures for more context:

Here is our space - wall with full backsplash
IMG_0924

Other wall - will put backsplash only up to bottom of bay window.
IMG_0926

Original choice - Artistic Tile Opera Glass
IMG_0881

Current thought - white marble 2x4 subway tiles
IMG_0931

Design option - break up marble tiles with accent tile ()
IMG_0921

Lastly, close-up shot of the countertops
IMG_0934

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help for Quartzite counters

Oops, messed up one of the links...

The accent tile we have shown is Aussie Dream Glass from Maniscalo in "Glass Slipper"

o

Quote: "We are now thinking of white Carrera (or Venatino) marble 2x4 subway tiles but we're worried this may look boring with so much of it in one place."

Exactly my thoughts as well! I think your first choice, the Artistic Tile Opera Glass, would be a far better choice, more modern and less matchy-matchy. Not too fond of the accent tile with the marble, either.

You say you are going to tile the entire wall behind the stove with tile. Does this mean tile all the way up to the ceiling behind the stove and the hood and the rest up to bottom of window (sort of like an inverted T, IYKWIM), or are you going to tile around the window as well? I think all the way round the window would be spectacular.

HTH, Petra

o

Have you seen catmom's kitchen? If you do a search, you'll see many beautiful pictures. If you want modern, I don't think the marble will take you there. Glass for sure.

o

Thanks petra & remodelfla!

Yep, we are planning on putting the tile on the entire wall, including around the window. We hope it will look spectacular :)

Our worry with the glass tile is that the contrast is too stark between the countertop. The white is very white as opposed to the creamier colors in the countertop.

Good call on catmom's kitchen - it is the same glass tile! Not sure about the vertical installation though...

Here is a link that might be useful: Catmom's Kitchen

o

The glass tiles! I think the movement in the marble competes with the movement in your countertops too much. The glass is much sleeker and complimentary IMHO (still on a huge learning curve here!). On my monitor your countertops and that glass tile have an almost "lit from within" quality that looks beautiful together. If you don't think the color is right, maybe try a few different glass tiles?!? Good luck!!!

o

Oh btw, just wanted to clarify... Catmom's kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! When we said "not sure about the vertical installation", we meant it probably won't work for us since we used stack stones stacked horizontally for our fireplace so we were thinking of keeping it consistent.

fireplace

We tried different colored glass tiles but beige looked... well, too beige. And we're not sure about introducing a new color into the color scheme. Did we mention that this is our first remodel?

Any other backsplash ideas that would work with the Lumix counter?

o

I could see a creamy or ivory toned tile maybe with some brown or black accent tiles that pick up the darker color in your stone.

o

I love your counter top. It s beautiful. I do like the glass tiles.

o

My vote is for the Opera Glass..... LOL!

It looks nice horizontally, too--just my 2 cents!

Your kitchen looks gorgeous so far, and I absolutely <3 your stacked stone fireplace wall. Soooo jealous (we have an ugly brick wall fp in our family room--adding a gas insert and going to paint the bricks, but it still won't be swoon-worthy as yours).

o

Thanks LRy511 & Cat_mom!

The fireplace started out as ugly bricks, but turned out great w/ the porcelanosa tile :)

Lots of love for the glass tiles here - really making us think about our choices. In the last few days, we've really been leaning towards the marble. This may be the toughest decision of our whole project...

Keep it coming though, we love the feedback and ideas!

o

Love the glass tile. The marble, not so much. The pattern in it is different than the countertop, but not different enough. If you are going for a more modern look, I think glass would be a better option. Maybe look around for a different manufacturer that might have a white that's a little less stark. Or how about a soft light grey glass tile? It would highlight the greys in the countertop without introducing a competing pattern.

Best of luck! I know the backsplash can be a hard decision.

o

I'm not feeling the marble at all with your stone. The glass is prettier, but I'm not sure it's the ONE. Not sure what else to suggest though. Lame answer.

o

Could you use whatever is on the fireplace? It is gorgeous!

o

Thanks everyone! We're going with the glass tile, and definitely appreciate all the advice and feedback.

Anna & Breezy - ya, we weren't sure that the color was right, but it actually blends a lot more now that we have the island in (it brings more crisp white to the room).

Isabel - Thanks! We love the tile on the fireplace, but I think it would be a disaster to keep clean behind the stove :)

We've been a bit busy getting the island in - here's what we accomplished!

IMG_1834

Kitchen Island Installed

Kitchen Island Installed

o

Looks great can u tell us a little more about the counters?

o

LOVE the white glass tiles. they are trendy, but not so trendy that you will hate them in 5 years. like subway tiles, but not at all. i think the glass tiles will be stunning.
kawh

o

Hey I love these tiles, I was wondering if you can tell me where you got yours as i am here in nyc and have been quoted about $13k for 2 slabs does that sound right? It seems like a lot to me?

o

I would let the countertops be the star and have the drama of the tile be communicated by the large area that it is covering. If it were me, I'd definitely go lower key on the tiles like the glass, simple but gorgeous - it is looking fabulous!!

o

Dying to know where you purchased your fireplace stone/ what it is called. Thanks :) Your reno looks fantastic!

o

Dying to know where you purchased your fireplace stone/ what it is called. Thanks :) Your reno looks fantastic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here