Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racerja_gw

Backsplash help for Quartzite counters

racerja
12 years ago

Hi All,

We are in the home stretch (fingers crossed) for our home remodel. We've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but this is our first post :)

We really need help right now with our kitchen backsplash... We spent a long time searching high and low for a counter that looked like marble (Calacatta Oro) after we learned how bad the etching was. We fell in love with Lumix quartzite.

The Lumix countertops are now installed, and we are having a problem picking our backsplash. Our original plan was Artistic Tile - Opera Glass in Wolfgang White . Our cabinets are dark expresso cherry shaker and we have no upper cabinets, so we want to cover the entire wall behind the stove with tile.

We are now thinking of white Carrera (or Venatino) marble 2x4 subway tiles but we're worried this may look boring with so much of it in one place. Please help us find the right backsplash! We love the contrast between dark and light and striving for a more modern look.

That's where we stand, here are some pictures for more context:

Here is our space - wall with full backsplash

Other wall - will put backsplash only up to bottom of bay window.

Original choice - Artistic Tile Opera Glass

Current thought - white marble 2x4 subway tiles

Design option - break up marble tiles with accent tile ()

Lastly, close-up shot of the countertops

Comments (21)

• racerja
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, messed up one of the links...

The accent tile we have shown is Aussie Dream Glass from Maniscalo in "Glass Slipper"

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Quote: "We are now thinking of white Carrera (or Venatino) marble 2x4 subway tiles but we're worried this may look boring with so much of it in one place."

Exactly my thoughts as well! I think your first choice, the Artistic Tile Opera Glass, would be a far better choice, more modern and less matchy-matchy. Not too fond of the accent tile with the marble, either.

You say you are going to tile the entire wall behind the stove with tile. Does this mean tile all the way up to the ceiling behind the stove and the hood and the rest up to bottom of window (sort of like an inverted T, IYKWIM), or are you going to tile around the window as well? I think all the way round the window would be spectacular.

HTH, Petra

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Have you seen catmom's kitchen? If you do a search, you'll see many beautiful pictures. If you want modern, I don't think the marble will take you there. Glass for sure.

• racerja
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks petra & remodelfla!

Yep, we are planning on putting the tile on the entire wall, including around the window. We hope it will look spectacular :)

Our worry with the glass tile is that the contrast is too stark between the countertop. The white is very white as opposed to the creamier colors in the countertop.

Good call on catmom's kitchen - it is the same glass tile! Not sure about the vertical installation though...

Here is a link that might be useful: Catmom's Kitchen

• erinct
    12 years ago

The glass tiles! I think the movement in the marble competes with the movement in your countertops too much. The glass is much sleeker and complimentary IMHO (still on a huge learning curve here!). On my monitor your countertops and that glass tile have an almost "lit from within" quality that looks beautiful together. If you don't think the color is right, maybe try a few different glass tiles?!? Good luck!!!

• racerja
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh btw, just wanted to clarify... Catmom's kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! When we said "not sure about the vertical installation", we meant it probably won't work for us since we used stack stones stacked horizontally for our fireplace so we were thinking of keeping it consistent.

We tried different colored glass tiles but beige looked... well, too beige. And we're not sure about introducing a new color into the color scheme. Did we mention that this is our first remodel?

Any other backsplash ideas that would work with the Lumix counter?

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

I could see a creamy or ivory toned tile maybe with some brown or black accent tiles that pick up the darker color in your stone.

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

I love your counter top. It s beautiful. I do like the glass tiles.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

My vote is for the Opera Glass..... LOL!

It looks nice horizontally, too--just my 2 cents!

Your kitchen looks gorgeous so far, and I absolutely

• racerja
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks LRy511 & Cat_mom!

The fireplace started out as ugly bricks, but turned out great w/ the porcelanosa tile :)

Lots of love for the glass tiles here - really making us think about our choices. In the last few days, we've really been leaning towards the marble. This may be the toughest decision of our whole project...

Keep it coming though, we love the feedback and ideas!

• annac54
    12 years ago

Love the glass tile. The marble, not so much. The pattern in it is different than the countertop, but not different enough. If you are going for a more modern look, I think glass would be a better option. Maybe look around for a different manufacturer that might have a white that's a little less stark. Or how about a soft light grey glass tile? It would highlight the greys in the countertop without introducing a competing pattern.

Best of luck! I know the backsplash can be a hard decision.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm not feeling the marble at all with your stone. The glass is prettier, but I'm not sure it's the ONE. Not sure what else to suggest though. Lame answer.

• isabelscott
    12 years ago

Could you use whatever is on the fireplace? It is gorgeous!

• racerja
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! We're going with the glass tile, and definitely appreciate all the advice and feedback.

Anna & Breezy - ya, we weren't sure that the color was right, but it actually blends a lot more now that we have the island in (it brings more crisp white to the room).

Isabel - Thanks! We love the tile on the fireplace, but I think it would be a disaster to keep clean behind the stove :)

We've been a bit busy getting the island in - here's what we accomplished!

• pors996
    12 years ago

Looks great can u tell us a little more about the counters?

• kawh707
    12 years ago

LOVE the white glass tiles. they are trendy, but not so trendy that you will hate them in 5 years. like subway tiles, but not at all. i think the glass tiles will be stunning.
    kawh

• ataraht
    12 years ago

Hey I love these tiles, I was wondering if you can tell me where you got yours as i am here in nyc and have been quoted about $13k for 2 slabs does that sound right? It seems like a lot to me?

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I would let the countertops be the star and have the drama of the tile be communicated by the large area that it is covering. If it were me, I'd definitely go lower key on the tiles like the glass, simple but gorgeous - it is looking fabulous!!

• SaraAllenDesigns
    11 years ago

Dying to know where you purchased your fireplace stone/ what it is called. Thanks :) Your reno looks fantastic!

• SaraAllenDesigns
    11 years ago

Dying to know where you purchased your fireplace stone/ what it is called. Thanks :) Your reno looks fantastic!

• brn33
    last year

Hi Racerja, I know it has been years, but I am wondering if you still have your Lumix counters and how they have held up. I am considering a similar slab for my kitchen. TY!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!