Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Pls talk me off the ventilation ledge - xpost

lisa_a
9 years ago

DH and I looked at hoods today. He ruled out VAH. He didn't like seeing the inner workings of it. He told me that he kept expecting the appliance rep to put a screen up to cover the squirrel cages and was surprised when I told him that nope, what you see is what you get. He thought it would be cool if we were going for an industrial vibe but since we're not ...

He pretty much goes along with what I choose - he's very easy going - so when he expresses a preference, I listen and accommodate his wishes as often as possible. For instance, we'll have a pull-out cutting board because he insisted. ;-)

Anyhoo, the hood we liked the best during our shopping trip today was the Wolf chimney style, 42", 600 cfm. We liked its looks and how it worked (there was a "live" one although it wasn't hooked up to vent to the exterior).

The other contender is a Modern Aire PS-24, also 600 cfm and 42" wide. I've received a quote and finish samples from MA (no local dealer so we can go directly with MA). They've been great to work with.

Neither choice is inexpensive but we've backed out several fairly big ticket items from the remodel - no more BCC unit, we're going with open doorways, not pocket doors for the DR/kitchen and kitchen/hallway transitions, and we're keeping our 12 yr old DW - so we can swing the cost of either hood.

The problem is that the only MA hoods I've seen are the ones shown in GWers' kitchen reveals. I've never seen one in person. No chance to kick the tires, so to speak. While I've admired them - a lot - buying one sight unseen makes me a tad nervous.

Has anyone else bought a MA hood or another hood without seeing it IRL?

I'm kinda thinking that I can't go wrong with either choice but it's a big ticket purchase and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

TIA!

x-post appliance forum.

Comments (8)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I bought my undercabinet hood on-line, sight unseen. The internals are what[s important - unlike a sink, you won't be banging heavy pans on your fridge, so you don't need a heavy-duty exterior.

If you can see how the controls work, you should be able to make an informed choice based on the specifications.

BTW, my DH's regret in our kitchen is that we don't have two pull-out cutting boards! We love ours.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I can't help you compare and contrast, but I've had a VAH insert for six years. It does an excellent job, so easy to maintain, and I WILL buy again for the next kitchen (I assume that the hood will not be comparable). I love the magic lung technology! I would say that ours is not very quiet, but that was not a concern for me.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, annkh! I have seen the controls, thanks to gooster (I asked to see a close-up of their MA hood and gooster obliged). And I've read everything I can find on MA on GW and on the web. I've yet to find a single complaint about that brand, which does help ease my qualms buying one sight unseen.

That's good because it's looking like the MA hood will be our choice. I just got the quote for the Wolf hood and it's $800 more than the MA hood, which takes it from "gulp" to "gasp!"

melle_sacto, I'm not at all doubting VAH's performance, nor is my DH. The floor model was quiet (compared to a hood with mesh screens), the grease trap was easy to pull out for cleaning (a change from your model) and the exterior look was lovely. But, as I wrote above, my hubby did not care to see the inner workings of it at all, and, as I wrote above, when he voices a preference, which he rarely does, I do my best to honor that preference. So, it's out, no ifs, ands, or buts.

annkh, you reminded me that I want to start a thread on pull-out cutting boards. Get ready to post pics of yours! :)

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Many here purchase major kitchen components sign unseen with very satisfactory results. And it's great to be able to see photos of products in real homes. I think that makes a huge difference.

However...having done 2 kitchens in the last ten years and having just gone through replacing a built-in refrigerator, I feel there's NO substitute for actually seeing a product IRL.

In the past, I've traveled to see products as necessary. It always has been worthwhile and I've always learned something important/essential.

That said, you're looking at two hood brands with good reputations. Same was true with fridges I was looking at. But once I was able to see and touch it made a huge difference

I would try to find either a showroom near you or connect with someone who has a MA hood installed near you. Either this forum or the manufacturer should be able to help.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I bought my modernaire ps-11 42" hood from my appliance dealer after choosing it on the MA website. I trusted the reviews. I love the hood. It is beautifully made and works great.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good idea, rococogurl, to see if I can find a MA hood owner near me who's willing to let me visit to see it.

So glad to hear you bought your MA hood without seeing it and that you love it, nycbluedevil! If I can't find one to see IRL, knowing others have done what I'm considering doing helps me feel calmer about it.

I would love to see your hood. Have you posted a reveal kitchen thread?

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Yes. Two of them. You will see them, if you google "nycbluedevil final kitchen reveal" or "almost done nyc galley with walnut and calacatta"

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, wow, I'm glad you helped me find it. I missed it the first go-round (big life curve ball). Your kitchen is gorgeous! As is your hood.