Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light near sink - ideas other than pendants and cans

Posted by lalitha (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 2:57

I am looking for ideas for light near the main sink that is not a pendant or a can. We have wood ceilings that are less than 8ft and I am loathe to cut holes for pendants or cans. The rest of the lights in the kitchen are schoo, house lights and we also have undercabinet LED lights. The sink will be white farmhouse and the countertops are soapstone. The small patch of adobe brick wall between the sink and Dutch door may be left bare..

Kitchen sink window�

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light near sink - ideas other than pendants and cans

Do you not want to have a ceiling fixture there at all? You could do a wall mounted light above or to the right. If you are concerned about task lighting, I would go above and I think a task light like one of these mixes nicely with the other schoolhouse lights

If you are not as concerned about task lighting at the sink, I think a sconce between the dutch door and the sink would be awesome.
If you were doing a ceiling mount light then I think you could do a schoolhouse over the window, either semiflush or rod mounted like these pictures.

Due to the fact that we both have post and beam, lowish ceilings I posted a similar thread not too long ago, I am attaching the link in case it is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: To light my sink

o

Get a small surface mount that coordinates with your other fixtures.

o

I like the first picture that localeater posted. They blend nicely with the school house lights. My other suggestions would be the school house style light in a semi-flush mount.

o

How about a swivel arm wall mount ? That is what I did for task lighting on either side of my brick chimney. I love it and it gives great light right where you want it. c

Photobucket

o

I wanted to put a multi-light sconce on the wall above my sink. (My KD talked me out of it, arguing it would look too "bathroomey.") May work for you.

o

I like the look of wall mounts swing arm type lights like the ones localeater and trail runner posted. Should I do 1 light or 2? The other lights in the kitchen are 2 flush mount school house lights from schoolhouse electric like the one below which are centered on the aisle. I still have to get something above the table near the windowseat.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here