Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

butcher block island - walnut, cherry or red oak??

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Instead of "lions and tigers and bears," I have been chanting, "walnut or cherry or oak?" lately.

Cabinets are going in later this week or next, so I *really* need to make a decision here.

Here's the plan so far: White/off-white inset cabinets around with Casaerstone countertops in Raven around the perimeter. The island (approx. 55" x 36") will be antiqued black with a butcher block top. The floors will be white oak with a walnut border. Kitchen is open to dining room, which has a coffered ceiling which is currently dark (walnut/mahogany looking).

When I first envisioned this kitchen, I think I was leaning toward a cherry top for the island - mainly for the warmth. But now I am thinking it might be better to go with walnut to "match" the border on the floor and coffered ceiling? What do you think?

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I vote against oak, because I don't think it should match the floor. Matching the walnut trim could be nice. Cherry would be gorgeous and for looks, probably my top choice in this scenario, but will it bother you how soft it is? The walnut is a much harder wood and better able to take whatever beating it might get on a busy work surface. We have Douglas fir on our island and knew it would get dented and dinged, and are OK with its developing 'patina,' so it depends on what you'll like. Have you considered Brazilian Cherry/Jatoba?

• ajard
    13 years ago

I would rule out oak..

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Go to the Finished Kitchens Blog-click on categories, countertops, wood-then walnut. Look at zaron's kitchen-island combo of cherry and walnut or reno_fan's kitchen for walnut island top. Can also check out the kitchens with cherry. I really love the walnut as it looks so beautiful. Good luck.

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

I'm not loving the idea of walnut on a black island. Cherry is better but, personally, though it's not a choice, I think I would opt for the original BB wood, maple.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Walnut sounds fantastic!

My favorite woodworking co.
    Devos Woodworking Walnut island.

Another Devos Wood working job

Painted Walnut tops

North Country Cabinets Walnut

MFR Construction

Bespoke Bristol UK

Signature Savannah Walnut island

Walnut Island

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your input.

Boxerpups - the pics are really helpful! I spent a lot of time on Devos' website last night...

I also found a walnut top at butcherblockco.com (Seattle) - anyone have experience with them?

Thank again everyone!

• margcooks
    13 years ago

If you haven't already, check out Brooks Custom (I'm not sure where you are--they're based in NY). They have a great site with pictures, too, and do an amazing job. (We're getting a edge-grain, eased edge, oiled mahogany island top for the island, and using honed white marble for the other countertops).
    http://www.brookswood.com/index.htm

Two other good sites to drool and learn are John Boos (http://johnboos.com) and Craft-Art (http://www.craft-art.com).

Post pix when you're done!

• vpierce
    13 years ago

We have a Jatoba butcher block top from Devos and it is fabulous. We opted for the Waterlox finish, so we don't use it for chopping, etc. We've had it in since May and it is very durable.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I love my cherry island top, but as folks have said, it IS soft. I have a lot of little dings and dents in it after 18 months or so. It's beautiful and warm though!

• woodworkguy
    13 years ago

I chose Walnut for my own and love it.
    Waterlox finish was the finish of choice as it allows for some touchup later. Still treat it like a kitchen tabletop and use a seperate cutting board. The water lox makes it practically waterproof which is your biggest enemy. I put dye stain on mine first to even the color and used steamed walnut as the sapwood becomes more uniform. Also decided to go with wide planl look rather than a butcherblock pattern. So you have options depending on the look you want.
    Where are you located? So I could recommend possibly recommend a local source.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I got maple with accent stripes of walnut and cherry, to coordinate with the espresso cabs and cherry floors. It's not a terribly formal look though.

• arbpdl
    13 years ago

I have Caribbean (or is it Brazilian? Can't remember, it's whichever is less red) Walnut and love it. Mine isn't traditional butcher block though. We went for the cost savings and made ours with actual hardwood flooring. It's laid over roofing felt on the subcounter and stapled like a floor would be. The total kitchen was around $100 for the materials. Oh, and another $40 or so for the raw tung oil that I treated it with. Very easy and I love 'em. Can't beat a custom counter for $140!!

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For those of you who asked, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

beth0301 - I would love to see your walnut island/countertops. Do you have any pics you can post?