Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailrolfe

Lebanese murals/mosaics?

gailrolfe
15 years ago

A few weeks ago I was surfing the net and found a site with some great murals and mosaic tiles and discovered they were from Lebanon. The prices seemed very reasonable as well. I thought I had bookmarked it but now I can't find it either in my favorites or via google...has anyone else seen something like this that might be what I'm looking for? Thanks!

Comments (34)

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Oh, I've been on the hunt for them as well. As luck would have it, I just found one source last night--am attaching link. They didn't have what I wanted, so I'm still on the hunt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Micro Mosaic eBay store

• halbert
    15 years ago

A couple of years ago, someone on the bathroom forums posted fabulous pictures of her mosaic tile work from Lebanon. I couldn't turn them up through a search of the forum, but this might be helpful:

mosaicmarble.com
    http://www.mosaicmarble.com/information.php?info_id=9

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Another e-bay seller of these murals is phoenicianarts. I am pretty sure a couple of folks on this forum have used them w/ success.

• yanalg
    15 years ago

i am fairly certain that igloochik got a similar tile (she called it 'persian rug") in her entry hallway. I recall it cost a lot less than those in the link above. I think it was $300 or something like that.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!! Halbert, the one you sent me is the one I was looking for...it is a lot cheaper than the one you found ci lantro although that one does have some nice ones. It's amazing that what seems like essentially the same thing can be 10 x more expensive...I hear my mother "you get what you pay for!" And the phoenician arts that farmhousebound sent also has sent really nice ones but I can only get a price by email so don't yet have any idea how they compare...but a big thank you to you all for responding to me so quickly!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

There are dozens of ebay stores. I think this one has been recommended by someone here:

Here is a link that might be useful: tunisian murals

• ktkitchen
    15 years ago

Ebay seller Phoenicianarts has spectacular mosaics and murals. We purchased a large tumbled marble mosaic for behind our range and it is gorgeous and the focal point of the kitchen. They currently have hundreds of listings on ebay and many of the listings have the option to submit an offer; which is how I purchased ours. Shipping costs are pricey but their work is coming overseas from Lebanon. Our mosaic is 36" wide X 38" high and the total cost was just under $400- which included shipping. I priced some other sources in the states and the costs were 4-5 times higher for a similar size- and they didn't have the subtle color shadings and variations or details that the phoenicianarts mosaics had.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks writersblock and ktkitchen. KT, was the work to mount the mosaic extra-expensive because of the little pieces or did you have a way to compare it? I'm wondering what will happen to the bids I have when I say my backsplash is one of these mosaics. I was looking at phoenician this morning and you're right they have some beautiful ones. My earlier comment about some places being 10 x more expensive turned out to be made in haste as I was not comparing apples to apples. But I would love to see a picture of your mosaic if you could upload it!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

gailrolfe--The link I posted (Micro Mosaics) is a link to Phoenician Arts. I've noticed that several posters didn't realize that. Also, the prices range from very expensive to quite inexpensive. I suspect a lot of the different named eBay stores are really the same store; for sure, a lot of them have the same sources. Anyway, like I said, I only found them last night after having tried to find some on a couple of casual searches before. 'Mosaic Mural' is the search term that I used, if that helps anyone else looking.

As to mounting them--I don't think they have to be assembled, tiny piece by piece. The ones I looked at said they have a webbed backing. In that case, they should install like any other webbed mosaic with the exception of making sure you get the right section/ block in the right place.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ci lantro and igloo, thanks for the info on mounting; it's good to hear. I'm really pretty excited because I found a medallion on Phoenician arts today that just might be the one...I'd been getting a little down thinking my kitchen was lacking in any pizzazz but this just might provide the sprak I wanted...now to find stones and wood that will complement it...

igloo, did you find the colors on the site to be pretty true to the real thing?

Thanks again to everyone!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

On my computer, yes they were pretty true. I'd feel safe ordering from them gail...but if you really have questions about a particular color, ask them to send you a tiny piece of the stone, then wet it, to see what the color looks like when it's installed. Frankly though...if you've got a decent monitor, your colors should be pretty true.

• vineyard
    15 years ago

I bought from phoenicianarts a month ago and am very happy with the mosaic. I got this for $250 plus $105 shipping:
    {{!gwi}}
    They never did leave any eBay feedback for me, even after I left them a positive one. Anyway, I can't wait to install this above my Lacanche! BTW, the colors are very true...this turned out to be exactly as shown above.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So pretty, vineyard. Every time I see a mosaic someone else chose, it makes me want that one too! And I keep trying to figure out how to fit one of those stone "carpets" into my house like igloo did...how cool is that? :-) I am excited about these and very relieved to get so much positive feedback. My house is techinically "Mediterranean" style which here in SoCal is often synonymous with either "traditional" or "Mexican" and I love the idea that my mural will truly be "Mediterranean"!

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

vineyard, did you already install your mosaic? If so, would it be possible to post a picture? The only ones I've seen mounted are igloo's and I'd like to see a variety of ways they've been mounted. Thanks.

• vineyard
    15 years ago

gailrolfe, sorry I have not installed it yet...I'll post pics as soon as it gets installed (maybe in a couple of weeks???) I'm hoping to have the potfiller installed outside of the mosaic and I think I have enough room between my cabinets. I plan to use a tumbled travertine for the rest of the backsplash.

The "beautiful" pics will be when the Lacanche is in, though! :)

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, vineyard. I'm so excited about the mosaic I found but I'm having a hard time picturing it (or any) with painted cupboards. I'm thinking of an off-white, glazed with maybe a walnut or mocha, and maybe lightly distressed but not sure. Actually, I love the mosaic enough to consider changing to stained cabs if it's the only way it'll look good but I doubt that's the case. It's usually just a case of my limited "mind's eye"....thus the need to see lots of pics. Already browsed the FKB but didn't find much. Look forward to seeing yours...I was thinking tumbled travertine for the backsplash field as well.

• matdrew
    15 years ago

vineyard , that is gorgeous!

• ktkitchen
    15 years ago

Hi Gail-
    We were away this weekend and I wasn't able to respond sooner- sorry! I will "try" to insert a picture of our mosaic tonight or tomorrow if I can figure out how to do it. I found the instructions on gardenweb and will give it a go. Our mosaic arrived packed flat in a large narrow width box with styrofoam supports- it was not rolled. We have raised panel cream painted maple cabinets- no glazing or distressing- the colors of the mosaic both coordinate and contrast beautifully with the light cabinets. Our Cambria quartz countertop also picks up some of the tones in the mosaic. I'm thrilled with how it all turned out!

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ktkitchen, I can't wait to see it! Thanks.

• ktkitchen
    15 years ago

Hope this works!
    Here are pictures of the kitchen showing the mosaic behind the range and with the cream cabinets- they're showing up a little whiter than they actually are.
    Meet the Rooster!

We still have some wall painting, staining of the windows to match the trim and accessorizing to do-

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,kt! that rooster is cool! And it definitely helps me see that a mosaic can work with painted cabs and wood counters which is what I'm thinking of....thanks again. What a pretty kitchen you have!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Oh. My.

I'm re-doing the entry area to my humble home right now, & need to replace the tile. Initially I was thinking mosaic, but I thought it would be way too pricey - it didn't occur to me that I might find something ready made that I would like.

Yay! - thanks for this thread! I'm off to browse mosaics!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I've been browsing the phoenicianarts mosaics (THOUSANDS listed on eBay right now!) & am seriously considering not only a mosaic for my entry, but also one for my stove backsplash (to replace the 'finished-for-now' bs that's there)

Those who ordered from Phoenicianarts - if you made a "Best Offer", what percentage off did you offer? One of the mosaics I like has already had an offer that expired, so I don't want to make an offer that's too low. I remember doing a best offer with a seller some time ago, & you only got one chance; i.e., it really does need to be your BEST offer.

• vineyard
    15 years ago

Phoenicianarts was asking $345.00 Buy It Now or Best Offer, I offered $250.00 and they accepted it, which was at 27.54% off the Buy It Now price. The mural was 40" x 28" and the shipping cost was $105.00.

BTW, you don't only get one chance at best offers...I've gone back and forth with eBay sellers and it ends either upon expiration or at auction end or if the item sells to someone else. If you make a Best Offer, the seller can accept, counteroffer or just let it expire and the buyer has the same options.

HTH and good luck!
    Leilani

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Thanks Leilani! Perfect info! (& if your mosaic was the right size for my backsplash it would top my list!)

It's possible that the seller I made that offer with had an individual policy.

Either that or my memory is fried.

I think I'll go with option #1. :D

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

I often use the seller's website rather than ebay to purchase. This saves the seller the ebay fees and passes that on to you. Of course, you give up the ebay 'protection' but I have had very good success buying direct.

In fact, those lebanese stores will make anything you want so why limit yourself to the designs posted on ebay. send them any design , colors, size and voila, you have your mosaic. I wish had a huge entry hall, would install a large mosaic...

I have had mine in the bathroom for 4 years and looks great! just seal once a year.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I offered about 25% lower as well.

I'd do business with Phoenician off of the ebay site in a heart beat. They're wonderful folks.

And Pharaoh, I'm copying your shower floor :)

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

igloo, go for it! I am so pleased with how it turned out. It is schluter shower with crema marfil walls and marble mural floor.
    I have had people offer to clear my bathroom if I let them stay over and use it :)

So for my current bath redo, i am going the opposite direction. White marble, clear glass tile and wood. It should be done soon :( Got busy at work and the remodel came to a halt...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

pharaoh, any maintenance problems with the marble in the shower?

(apologies for the OT, gailrolfe).

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

writersblock, no apologies necessary...I'm loving all the comments and questions...just keep learning more!

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

writersblock,
    Not really, this is a guest bath (but i have parents stay for months at a time). I seal the shower once a year. Some of the marble is not as shiny as it used to be but it is impossible to notice on light colored marble.
    One thing i do is when guests leave, I clean the entire shower and bath with stone cleaner. I know its work but that is the price to pay for fine materials :)

In my current redo I am using white marble in the shower. 18x18. I wish I could afford a slab of white marble and forget about tiles altogether. I detest grout lines!

I have seen 1/2" thick granite panels for showers. (in LA).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I contacted Phoenicean Arts through their website, and the prices they quoted were higher than the eBay prices, especially if you consider the "Best Offer" option. I suspect that the U.S. contact is a dealer, and that if you buy through eBay you are cutting out one middleman & adding a different one.

So if you want custom sizes or colors, you can go through the website, but otherwise, you might do better pricewise if you find what you want in the eBay listings.