Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Our first Sherr's cabinet assembled

annkathryn
11 years ago

DH and I have assembled most of the Ikea cabinets for our soon-to-be kitchen, but needed three custom ones in depths that Ikea didn't support. We ordered them from Sherr's and the box arrived last week. We spent today putting them together and are happy with how they look so far.

The cabinet boxes we ordered are MDF with walnut edge bands, drawers are solid maple with dovetail joints, slides are Blum Tandembox with Blumotion soft close (slightly nicer than the Ikea Blum slides), and the drawer fronts are grain-matched walnut veneer. The smaller 4-drawer cabinet is going in the hall niche outside the kitchen and its drawer fronts have a vertical grain. The other two cabinets are going to be our island and have a horizontal grain to match the rest of the custom walnut drawer fronts in the kitchen.

Here are a couple of pictures of the process.

They came well-wrapped in cardboard on a pallet. We'd started taking the cardboard off at this point:

Laying out the first cabinet:

Screwing in the drawer slides first, a trick we learned when assembling the Ikea drawers:

The first cabinet mostly finished, some minor adjustments needed. We're using finger pulls from Mockett (to be added).

The other two will make up the island. We didn't install the drawers yet as there's dust and chaos everywhere and we don't want to risk them getting dirty or damaged.

A wider view of our living room, with range on the right and Ikea cabinet doors for the upper cabinets (Abstrakt high gloss white) still in boxes.

The kitchen was just insulated yesterday, sheetrock to go in next week. The niche where the first cabinet will be is visible in the hallway on the right of the picture.

We're not living in the house, thank goodness!

Comments (14)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Pretty cool!
    It's such instant progress, isn't it?

That walnut grain is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished pics!

• MuleHouse
    11 years ago

Congratulations. We've put together IKEA cabinets before. They offer great products, very well made. I still think fondly of our IKEA cabinets.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wow. Those are gorgeous! Did you specify the vertical grain or is that how they come OR is it the grain matching that makes it look like that? Mackeral! I love how that drawer base looks like a single slab of wood. Cannot wait to see the rest of your pictures! That's enough for me to rethink quarter sawn oak.

Beautiful. Please post more pics as you can!

• dee850
    11 years ago

Wow, those drawer fronts are stunning! We're going to be DIY'ing, ourselves, probably using cabinets from Barker, Scherr's, or maybe Ikea, so I really appreciate the photos of the process.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi deedles, you were asking about the grain. Yes, we specified the grain matching and indicated vertical for the first cabinet. There was an upcharge for this. We loved the look of the matching grain with these slab cabinets.

For the rest of the Ikea cabinets, we ordered doors from Semihandmade. The grain matching is horizontal. Anything can be done with what's basically a 4'x8' slab of walnut veneer.

Here are Semihandmade cabinet doors for one of our Ikea cabinets. We haven't screwed these into the cabinets yet - did I mention that there's a lot of dust?

Sheet of walnut:

Here is a link that might be useful: SemiHandMade Doors

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Love the process photos! Thanks.

• deedles
    11 years ago

May I ask why you are ordering doors/drawer fronts from different places? And then you will have horizontal grain on all but the one drawer base? I'm gonna be watching for more pics for sure.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It sounds complicated because we couldn't do 100% Ikea cabinets. Here's what we've got:

- all perimeter cabinets are Ikea. Base cabinets on the sink/stove walls will have doors from SemiHandMade in horizontal walnut. Upper cabinets on the sink/stove walls will have Ikea doors (Abstrakt high gloss white or glass) with side panels in walnut, also from SemiHandMade. All cabinets on the fridge wall are Atbtrakt high gloss white. We're thinking of a walnut butcher block counter under the microwave.

- the island cabinets are only 18" deep. We could have cut down 24" deep Ikea cabinets and used them, but then we couldn't have drawers. So we decided to order those two 30"x18" base cabinets from Sherr's, including the drawer fronts. It seemed safer to do that rather than coordinate SemiHandMade drawer fronts with Sherr's drawer sizes. These two island cabinets also have a horizontal grain. The variation in walnut sheets isn't that great, so we were willing to live with slight differences, if any. We haven't unpacked those drawer fronts yet (dust, chaos, etc) - they're for the 2nd & 3rd cabinets in my original post.

- the vertical grain cabinet in the picture in my first post is for a niche that's just outside the kitchen in the hallway from the garage. It's through the doorway in the plan below.

Here's the plan:

• deedles
    11 years ago

It does seem complicated... but I get what you're going for now. Can't wait to see it progress!

• drybean
    11 years ago

AnnaKathryn-I'm looking at your pics trying to decide in which direction we should go. Curious why you chose Semi Handmade over Scherrs walnut doors? You obviously utilized both companies, so just curious as to your thought process.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi drybean,
    We could have gone 100% Sherr's for all doors (great company!) but we visited SemiHandMade last spring and really liked the quality of the doors we saw there. The main reason we went with SHM for the rest of the doors was that they were slightly less expensive and their lead time was about a month less than Sherr's. As it turned out we had everything assembled and ready to go long before our contractor could install anything, so the lead time wouldn't have mattered.

We also weren't concerned about any variation in the walnut because the cabinets weren't going to be right next to each other. As it turned out, the wood tone was very close and no one can tell that the doors came from different suppliers.

Here's a picture of the niche cabinet (Sherr's) with the SemiHandMade doors in the kitchen.

From Kitchen

Hope that helps.

• drybean
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply. Your kitchen is just gorgeous, and I love the the mirror in the niche-I don't think that was there in the last photo I saw.

I'm happy to hear you are just as happy wit SHM as Scherrs. I've not yet seen a real love sample of either yet, but I live close to SHM so hopefully can get one quickly.

Imsorry to pester you, but I see that you have the walnut end panel on upper. That is SHM too correct? I like that idea.

• drybean
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply. Your kitchen is just gorgeous, and I love the the mirror in the niche-I don't think that was there in the last photo I saw.

I'm happy to hear you are just as happy wit SHM as Scherrs. I've not yet seen a real love sample of either yet, but I live close to SHM so hopefully can get one quickly.

Imsorry to pester you, but I see that you have the walnut end panel on upper. That is SHM too correct? I like that look very much.