Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xpost - New flooring has gaps. Is this acceptable?

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 1:32

I think for me the answer is no, but am I off base?

I just had some engineered flooring put down. They are half way through with the installation and will return tomorrow (Tues). I checked on them occasionally while they were working and everything looked pretty good. However after they left I inspected more closely and found more than several gaps between the boards ... either end-to-end or side-to-side ... to the point that I can stand a credit card up in the gap. They are not as tight as I feel they should be.

I am very detail oriented and now wish I would have said something before they even started like "make sure the boards are tight" but they are the professionals and I should not have to tell them how to do a quality job, right?

The floors are glued down onto 1/4" cork for sound dampening (I am in an upstairs unit) so I know it will not be easy to pull out and redo but I want it done right.

Am I being too picky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xpost - New flooring has gaps. Is this acceptable?

Glued-down engineered hardwood should be tight with no gaps. Especially end to end, there's no excuse for a gap there. That's just sloppy.

o
RE: Xpost - New flooring has gaps. Is this acceptable?

Thanks chief! Two of the gaps will be under the sofa. I can live with that but the majority are in more visible locations.

I'm sure my guests are never going to get down in their hands and knees but it certainly will bother me. Not to mention all the dirt and dust that will get caught there! :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here