Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellibee1

Honed quartz help!

shellibee1
9 years ago

I just had pental honed stormy sky quartz installed and I hate it!! I can't believe with all the looking/research I did that I've made this costly mistake. I had both the polished and honed samples at home and thought that the honed would show less crumbs, fingerprints, marks etc.-- the reseller agreed with me and said if those things bothered me, honed would be the way to go. AFTER ordering, he told me their sales rep from pental said to make sure I understood that the honed would show lots of marks, smudges etc. At that point I was confused and kept asking my salesman what his thoughts were and he stated that he has never had any complaints about that. Against my better judgement, I didn't cancel the order. I've had it less than a week and that is an understatement! It shows absolutely every smudge, food stain, fingerprints--absolutely everything leaves a mark/stain. Soap and water do not remove nor does magic erasers. The only thing that works is liquid bar keepers--such a hassle! I don't even feel this product should be sold for kitchen use.

My question is, is there anything anyone knows of that you can "polish" the honed with to make it more smudge/stain proof? I so wish I would've went with the polished! I have not called the installer or salesman as I don't trust their judgement at this point and I'm too upset to even talk to them about it at this point.

Thanks for any advise/help you can offer.

Comments (153)

• Gayle Minto
    3 years ago

@crabbygirl73 my island is 75”x95”, its in a well used, bright kitchen. The honed is way to high maintenance for me. I’m not really ocd but the smudges and streaks just look unkempt to me and not something I would ever have chosen if I’d researched more.

• Lori Jenkins
    3 years ago

Ours is honed. Both the builder and interior designer recommended it.

• zaleen
    3 years ago

I bought this house so I’m not 100% sure but from what I read it seems like it’s honed quartz. It’s def honed something. I do have little scratches that drive me crazy but at least you have to look close to see them. I’m really interested to hear more about the people who sealed it (pref long term not needing every couple days or weeks) Ex the bulletproof? Where to buy etc. I, wondering if the people who are saying they haven’t had a single problem just don’t realize that their installers did the seal when they had it put in, in comparison to the installers who left it natural. I found using a magic eraser left tiny scratches too or a change in the finish, stopped that pretty quickly. I was half way to Amazon to buy bartender cleaner you guys mentioned before seeing the later post that it also damaged the finish. Sigh.

• Lori Jenkins
    3 years ago

We use the bartenders helper at first and rubbed it to remove stains. That left scuffs. Now I pour it on and leave it and gently remove it after a little while. No scuffs. That’s what I continue to use to remove any stains.

• Michele Antonaras
    3 years ago

I have Caesarstone Quartz, Frozen Tundra...it's a matte finish and I love it. My issue isn't water type stains but what looks like oily stains. I've only used soap and water and a quartz cleaner on it but they don't seem to do the trick. Anyone else?

• snthouse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a Unistone Tartufo Honed Quartz US200129 which I purchased for the colour and the matte finish. I had same problem with oil marks. I was advised to use non-bleach window glass cleaner (windolene blue liquid type) to clean the worktop and to use a non-scratch scourer. It works a treat.

• Edan Dover
    2 years ago

I have ceasatstone honed sleek concrete. its horrible. everything smudges. just putting your fingers on it will leave smudge marks. went nuts trying to find the right cleaner to take it out. Bar Keepers Friend stone polish works to take out the stains, but the smudges still remain. Im not sure if this is safe but Ive found that Stainless Steel Wipes take out the smudges best and leave a clean polish. then wipe clean with a dry towel. Its not perfect but its the best Ive got. I bought quartz because i wanted less maitenance. I got the opposite. wouldve never bought this product had i known ahead of time. if youre in my boat, try the stainless steel wipes. works surprisingly decent.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Someone commented about quartz countertops in general. I had Silestone polished quartz (soapstone color) counters installed about 2 years ago in my kitchen renovation and love it. I also had quartz counters installed in my 3 bathrooms ( one white and 2 cream countertops) . They are easy to clean with dish soap and water. They all look as good as the day of installation. No issues. I always use a trivet on the kitchen counter when I have a hot pot or plate and would do that anyway for any type of countertop, to protect it. I read a lot of blogs and other information about quartz, polished and honed too. I always wanted the polished quartz. I am so sorry you had a bad experience about the honed quartz. I hope you find a solution soon.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Edan:

Try Tenaz Quartz Toner in an inconspicuous area first please.

• Gayle Minto
    2 years ago

Polished is fine….the honed, and mine in particular….the sleek concrete…is horrible. Edan, try windex. it really works well, one step. i feel so mislead about the product i got from ceasarstone.

• Gayle Minto
    2 years ago

joseph Corlett, i would never use something like tenaz on a pourous surface. Getting an even layer, reapplications required. not worth it.

you can get rid of the (constant) smudges and streaks, its just A LOT of work. I’ll just stick with the windex, (I’ll try the ss wipes because, why not?) and lesson learned about ceasarstone and misleading advertisement.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The Quartz Toner may eliminate the "LOT of work".

• Gayle Minto
    2 years ago

Joseph, I like the color and dont want to darken it. I dont want to add a product requiring re-application and even more maintenance either.

My quartz has no permanent stains or water marks, not the issue.

”May” eliminate the work is not good enough I’m afraid! Dont want to add insult to injury with my counters.

• Edan Dover
    2 years ago

Guys, my quartz dealer spoke to Ceasarstone and got their recommendation on how to maintain my smudge-ridden Honed Sleek Concrete Quartz. Here's what Ceasarstone said:

"STOP with anything that has any oils so basically you are adding more oil with the stainless steel wipes, also stop using the foam cleanser ( this one isn't bad but it won't clean as good as my next suggestions)

You will need Bar Keepers powder, it sorta looks like Comet.

You will also need a scotch Bright pad ( the pink one )

Place some powder on the pad and scrub away and then rinse with water and repeat the process.

This is going to be repeated only because there has been build up of oils from the stainless steel wipes.

This will help degrease your surfaces from past oil build up.

Daily cleaning you can use good ol Windex and hot soapy water as well."

They are saying the stainless steel wipes make the problem worse... doubtful though because for me the problem was terrible UNTIL I started using the stainless steel wipes. It was the only thing that removed the smudges. Maybe theyre worried about long term damage from the stainless steel wipes? I'm not sure. I'll give their recommendation a try and see how it goes.

• Gayle Minto
    2 years ago

Edan, ceasarstone says softscrub with bleach. its on their website. I mention this waaaaay back in this thread. it does work, but the steps involved, daily, are time consuming. It involves the SS, rinsing, drying/buffing and lots of towels.

I’ll stick with Windex.

• Edan Dover
    2 years ago

Hey guys the powder Bar Keepers Friend with water, per the ceasarstone's rep, worked pretty well. I think that's the solution.

• laur89
    2 years ago

I just had honed Caesarstone put in and I hate them!! I wish I found this before! @Joseph Corlett, LLC do you know anyone in MN/WI that would do the StonePro or the quartz toner you recommend?

• Kate Bricher
    2 years ago

@snthouse I'm thinking of putting in the Tartufo Honed in a kitchen and bathroom. I am wondering how you are liking it and what you think about the honed surface. Thank you!

• Martha Rotten Martha Rotten
    2 years ago

Definitely don't do honed!!! I love Quartz but not from Ceasarstone

• snthouse
    2 years ago

Kate Bircher, had it in the kitchen for about 5 months and it seems fine. I use the original cif cream or windolene blue spray to clean followed by dry cloth.

• sarahp8ge
    2 years ago

Nope! honed is hopeless!

• Kate Bricher
    2 years ago

@snthouse Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your photo!

• seagreen3
    2 years ago

Try Bon Ami. It won’t scratch, it’s not toxic, it won’t bleach, but it will beautifully remove marks. Bar Keepers Friend is much more abrasive and reactive and is great for many things, but not, IMO, countertops.

• bmorepanic
    2 years ago

I have this sort-of sovereign recipe for grease/oils. It's not going to do anything about water marks, but if any of you get the chance - 50% water, 50% as pure a rubbing alcohol as you can get and a bit of dawn -or- dissolve some dr bronner peppermint bar soap in the water. I'd love to know if it works or not. Cause I am just now learning about the trap of wanting a honed darker quartz in front of a south facing window. If I put something light/shiny there, I'll go blind from the light bounce.

• Mary Jane Henley
    2 years ago

Sixteen year old Caesarstone honed. The counter company warned me not to do it, but I went ahead because I hate shiny and I wanted a more natural look. I occasionally clean as recommended by several here, but I don’t mind the more lived-on look between cleanings. In most light, it looks fine.

• juliestanton
    2 years ago

How I wish I had read this thread before installing concrete colored honed quartz (Caesarstone)! I was told it wouldn't show anything, what a joke. I am living with the constant smudges, and am cleaning with a diluted Dawn/water spray and or SoftScub per the manufacturer, and they do clean up well. We are super careful with what we put down on the counters, however, we have several areas where the finish has been permanently marred, both small spots and a large area next to the sink. Nothing I've tried brings it back to the same finish as the original. Should we just seal the whole thing or is there any other product that anyone has found that can bring the counter back to the original finish appearance?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Read the whole thread please.

• Edan Dover
    2 years ago

Bar keepers friend Powder with water does the trick. no need to seal

• Gayle Minto
    2 years ago

@Edan Dover sealing=dissaster imo. I cant imagine spending what I did and gambling with a sealer/contractor with no guarantee.

BK Friend is great as is the Caesar stone recommended soft scrub with bleach. the problem is the rinsing off. (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) I have a very large surface area so I save those methods for a weekly clean. For daily use, nothing beats windex. I’e tried off brands but for streak free clean, blue windex works!!!

• HU-547122942
    2 years ago

I'm happy to have found this thread, but too late for me as well. I think there should be a huge blog out there somewhere that says "DON"T BUY MATTE QUARTZ COUNTERS", it is that disappointing. I am in the same boat with others who are already thinking of replacing a $6000 countertop as soon as possible. I really dislike shiny surfaces like most others in this chain, and was always going to go with honed. However, one day after the install we notice weird marks that absolutely ruin the beautiful look. And every day I have to search for even just crumbs left on the counter, the oil from ANYTHING spreads out from the crumb & leaves a stain. I am scared to try anything that may scratch or ruin it; after reading all of this I will attempt the windex (even though other places I've read have said to stay away from it, it seems the safest of all the suggestions in here). I will update if that works. But I don't have much hope. I also agree with others who say I don't know why this is even sold as a kitchen counter - it's absolutely unfriendly for the user.

• Lori Jenkins
    2 years ago

Barkeepers liquid, set for a bit and rub Just barely and rinse works. Wisdom born of pain. We have several permanent scuff marks after thinking we needed to rub normally to wash the stains away. So disappointed. The installer returned and said he had never seen anything like it before.

• Marisue
    2 years ago

I just use a Magic Eraser and then dry with a dishtowel.

• Tealselkie
    2 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC, you obviously know a great deal about countertop materials. I am here trying to research between quartz and marble, or maybe soapstone for my kitchen. Some people in these threads have had nightmare experiences, which I would love to avoid (quartzite? - no thank you). In one of your comments above, you wrote " Yes; here is Stoneguard on marble in gloss and matte. Resealing will not prevent etching; Stoneguard does." In your opinion, does Stoneguard make marble a reasonably easy surface to care for? I don't need perfect, but I certainly don't want to be running around with magic erasers and special treatments every night. Would you mind sharing your favorite material(s)?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Tealselkie:

I like most countertops, but I'm a practical kind of guy. I'm not fond of tile on the flat in any situation except floors. As a Certified Corian fabricator, I remain puzzled at the marketplace's fascination with hard and shiny when a proven practical workhorse is ignored and the documented scratching, etching, and bleeding is ignored for love. Infatuation really.

Stoneguard does make marble a reasonably easy surface to care for. Plastic always saves natural stone whether it's a film coating or a resin sucked into a slab at a processing facility. And I've got to listen to how it's all "naaaaaatural".

Engineered stone (quartz) is essentially Corian with a quartz filler instead aluminum tryhydrate. It's 1/3 plastic, no matter the manufacturer bull$#!t about 93%. That's by weight, not by volume which is irrelevant. If your stuff is so great, why do you have to lie about its composition?

Get what you like; there are tradeoffs with every one.

• Tealselkie
    2 years ago

Thanks for your input, Joseph. I think I will decide between marble and Corian London Sky. But I will probably go with what I like best, which is marble. I am sure either will be great. Cheers.

• jennylee424
    last year

I came across this post AFTER I had already installed Pental Quartz Paloma Homed for my counters and island and realized the nightmare of stains, even from water droplets. I had the stone fabricator come out to advise how I can live with this mistake and he suggested that I seal the stone. His process is to clean thoroughly with Dawn to remove stains, especially oil based. Then go over any remaining spots with acetone. Dry thoroughly, tape and drape to protect cabinets and appliances. Then follow the instruction on the sealant. The one he uses is Porcelain and Quartz Sealer by Dry Treat (photo attached). He suggested 2-3 coats. His estimate for sealing was $1500 but I did it myself for under $100, including the sealant, tape and drape. Instructions were pretty clear on the bottle and I let it cure for 24 in between coats. This sealant is amazing. Water and everything else that now makes contact with my counter sits on top of it instead of being absorbed. Wiping leaves no streaks but the stone appears as it did before, matte and no shine. It has only been a week so not sure how long this effect will last but bottle says it forms a permanent bond with the stone. I was advised to avoid alcohol (isopropyl and ethanol) based cleaners because it can strip away the sealant. I used Method all purpose spray. I literally lost nights of sleep over my stone choice and now my very messy and active family with 3 kids are using the kitchen and I am not thinking about the stone except that it looks great.

• richardsstephjer
    last year

jennylee424 How is the sealant working? Is it still easy to wipe up and not leaving stains?
    We just had metropolis soapstone concrete quartz installed. I thought it was between honed and polished but it’s showing every finger print, oil from crumbs…… it’s a nightmare. Can’t even set a spoon down without it leaving a moisture mark.

• HU-216824785
    last year
    last modified: last year

So glad i found this thread and its not just me and my ”honed concrete” quartz nightmare. heres my issue, these countertops are clean, but around my sink and everywhere i have watermarks. is barkeepers friend the way to go with these and then the sealer?

• Michon Chambers_Culver
    last year

Honestly, I'm not sure about the barkeepers friend. I'm afraid to try it. I have tried Mr. Clean magic erasers and they have taken the sheen off which can be seen - ugh! I'm going to clean mine with a very small amount of meyers dish soap, rinse well and seal again. I have noticed this helps with marks and lasts about 5-6 months.

• HU-216824785
    last year

I just went for it and used the barkeepers friend - it worked! heres my after picture

• HU-216824785
    last year

I agree that magic erasers leave a scuff. we have only used that with a stain and it works.

• Li Sol
    last year

Hi Jennylee424, I am looking into a way to seal my caeserstone rugged concrete countertop and bumped into your post. Can you comment how the sealer is working for you 5 months in?.. thank you🙏🙏

• Lori Jenkins
    last year

I used Barkeepers and have scuff marks all over now. Horrible.

• Nidnay
    last year

Barkeepers is very abrasive.

• Barb Mruk
    last year

All that came from just putting a pot lid with water on it. Then trying to get water stain off with barkeepers cream and then dawn and water. You are right this quartz should never be sold for kitchens or bars.

I knew granite was better than man made- I should’ve bought into the idiots online and in stores. Quartz sucks.

• HU-787928262
    8 months ago

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Can you polish Honed finish after its installed?

• HU-787928262
    8 months ago

Hi Jennylee424, can you use that sealer for Honed quartz caesarstone? Does anyone know if that will work, or if it will ruin it?

• Barb Mruk
    8 months ago

Love to find answers on this. Where are the dealers of this product? Mine said clean with baking soda everyday????? Really!!!

• Julie Ann Dowling
    5 months ago

I’m in the same predicament after ordering Nolita suede silestone. What an awful product. Not fit for purpose. I’m glad I’m not alone in making this blunder. I’ve used a quartz polish which has really helped. Has anyone used the sealant mentioned above? Think I’ll try that if the polish wears off quickly.

• sylvermoon
    7 days ago

Yep I have the same thing with my Daltile matte quartz countertops….I have quartzite on my island and it actually does better. We have hard water and it and everything else makes a mess of the Daltile and actually my stainless steel sink as well. I did research as opposed to what some rep accused me of not doing before I bought. Nowhere did I see that a matte finish would be so hard to keep looking nice. He told me to wash my countertops every day and then rinse with plain water and then dry with a Microfiber towel. I have a big kitchen. I don’t want to spend my life cleaning my countertops. I did not want a shiny countertop I also thought it would show marks easier…but this is way worse.