Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Latest on Mule House re-hab

Posted by MuleHouse (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 1:09

The fun goes on...... Flippin' insurance company anyway! This week they went from "Ok, you paid $45,500. for your commercial building and will spend $100,000. turning it into a residence, insurance cost $1,500. for 6 months" to "Oh, you say you only plan to spend $10,000. in remodeling, so now we are going to claim your building is really worth $120,000. and charge you $1,200. for 6 months".

The city building inspector who issued my permit felt 10K was a reasonable figure to bring it to residential code. The county property appraiser came to see me this afternoon and agrees. He said there was no way anyone could spend 100K in upgrades in that small a space and my purchase price reflects values in our area.

Next week I'm seeking insurance from other sources. For anyone who wishes to see the property in question, Google 182 W Reynolds Ozark AL and select the Zillow site for pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Latest on Mule House re-hab

Yeah, I'd go looking for another insurance company, too. But, Yikes!, that is still expensive for $120,000 building.

o

Have you checked with your mortgage company or bank? Our bank who has our mortgage has a risk management division that deals with hundreds of different insurance companies. They have been able to always find us the best prices on coverage.

o

All I can say about the insurance is, that's ridiculous.
As far as your project, I love it! If I lived in a different area (I'm in SF bay area) I would buy a block of vacant commercial buildings and redo them for residential use. Please post again with updates and photos.

o

that's gonna be real cute when done. and convenient to shops and stuff? close to courthouse so it should be.

be sure to post what you do to it!

o

Thank you for all the responses. : )

CLG6708, Yes, I'm really about to give up on the company I have. They have our 3 vehicles and our homeowners policy and will lose all of them if I go somewhere else.

Debrak, I haven't tried that but thank you for the suggestion.

Gigi, thank you. I'm from San Francisco myself. Roblee off Silver. It's so nice to be in a town that welcomes creating downtown residential conversions.

Desertsteph, we are so looking forward to actually living there. I work in that courthouse. I'm the county board of registrars chairman. Even now it's convenient as when I need to meet with someone there I can just pop out the back door and cross the street.

When I have no info I'll post it. Only news today is I bought a great china cabinet for the new dining room. That's the room with the garish green paint - which will be replaced by Weathered Wood wallpaper by Kathy Ireland.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here