Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rightdi_gw

I think I'm losing my fridge...and my mind!

rightdi_gw
9 years ago

Ok, so we finalized our layout and changed some things based on your wonderful suggestions. After hours of reading GW (not kidding), I've come across another problem. I think the GE Profile SD fridge we ordered will protrude to much from std 24" cabinets and eat our limited aisle space. We have two choices, well 3. 1) Keep as is. 2) Change to CD fridge, or 3) Make our island smaller and move a couple inches - will help with aisle, but fridge will still stick out. My question is, would you rather a larger island or bigger fridge. And, would you mind the SD fridge sticking out? HELP!!!

For reference, our island is designed to be about 112" x 54", with 38" of aisle space between counter to counter on fridge side. Here is a picture:

Comments (16)

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention. We decided to swap the fridge with pantry. Here is a picture of island.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

If you can afford to lose the fridge space by going to a CD that would be my first choice if it were my home. My second choice would be to shorten (if necessary) the island and move it.

I have a tight squeeze between my fridge and my island, a SD french door LG, about 32" counter to counter IF I remember right. The only way this is tolerable is that my fridge is mostly offset enough from the island that I can "get out in the open" and rummage in the fridge. If I could have given myself even four more inches (six would have been ideal) it would be a lot easier to manage.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

P.S., I do not know what the appliance to the right of the sink is supposed to be, but you will definitely want to re-examine your appliance positions of you do move the island. Like, maybe swapping the dw and the Mystery Appliance, depending on what the MA is.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Does SD mean standard depth? If so, that's what I have. Sigh. It doesn't impinge on my walkway, so no functional demerits. It does suffer a bit aesthetically, but I'm not sure my space could accommodate a CD fridge that would give me enough interior space, which is important to me.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The amount of fridge "territory" you need is the first question you need to answer. For me, personally, I just don't like fridges that stick out, so I'd modify your plan in a couple of ways - either keep the full-size fridge, but a) bring the surrounding cabinets out several inches to be flush with the fridge "box" (not the door - it needs to be able to open fully) and b) make the island a few inches shorter, or I'd switch to a CD fridge. That won't work for everyone - many people would find a CD fridge too small. By the way, in your post, you said the island is 112", but in the picture, it says 107". That's a big difference when you're dealing with aisle widths.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

According the the 'experts' on kitchen design, your aisles should be 42". If I were you, I'd choose the fridge that works best for you and either shorten or scoot the island back enough to give you room. I don't think you'll be happy with a narrow passageway. The door to my laundryroom is between my fridge and the end of a cabinet right across from it. It only gives me about 36" max and there's no way 2 people can negotiate the space.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

What's to the right of the kitchen? Can you recess the fridge into that wall?

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Can't you just move the island to the left 6-10 inches? That would also help fix a problem I see with the sink and stove being directly across from each other.

• GenB
    9 years ago

I agree. Unless I'm missing something, I would pull the cabinets out from the wall to make the fridge flush(ish, allowing for door clearances) and scoot the island over.

• calumin
    9 years ago

Yes I'd make the countertop deeper on that side, pull forward the lower cabinets and move your island to the left as needed. It's only a few inches and your refrigerator won't stick out. But I wouldn't give up the full size refrigerator.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I've been researching CD fridges all day and haven't found one I can live with yet!!!

Couple answers to your awesome questions:
    @grenhaven - you made me giggle!! The mystery appliance is a wine cooler/beverage center.
    @sjhockeyfan - yes, the island is 112 inches, including 5 inches of overhang on the side. We may just have to lose that. Also, we don't have the option of customizing our cabinetry to extend out the depth of the fridge. :(. We are building a semi-custom home and have several limitations.
    @tomatofreak - after hours perusing here, I've learned many people happily live with less than what the experts recommend. But, your experience is exactly the type of information I'm looking for.
    @annkh - Nope, I have the dining room on other side. But, my GC is recessing all the plumbing stuff!! :)

Keep all advice coming, love it!! Would love to see pictures too!!
    Thanks!!

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could make my island smaller (make waste basket cabinet 15" from 18" and loose my 5" of overhang) and then move island couple inches to left. That would give me a 43" aisle. But that would still leave me with a 35" deep fridge on a standard 24" cabinet. That I can't change. :(.

My husband hates it and wants counter depth. I think I'd rather live with the eye sore. Would love to see pictures of anyone's kitchen with the same setup.

Also, do you think 4 1/2 feet is to much for aisle between stove and island???

I'm overwhelmed!!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have 48" between cooktop and island. I think anything up to 54 inches (which is what you'll have) is good. 60" IMHO is a little too much.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

I know not everyone would agree, but for me the FIRST thing I notice when I walk into a kitchen is the fridge. Does it stick out or does it look like it "fits" properly. In my opinion, a fridge that sticks out looks like someone forgot to plan for it! But, I get that I'm way to the "form over function" end of the spectrum on that issue. Many people are not.

In your kitchen, I would absolutely do counter-depth. And as you're already going to be having an under counter beverage fridge, it seems like that must make up for some of the lost room of a standard depth.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

RightDi, you don't need custom cabinets - you simply have to mount your base cabinets a few inches ahead of the wall. The countertop hides the gap.

If you do that, I'd get rid of the lazy susan in the corner, and widen the drawers on each side of the corner.

If you can't get deeper upper cabinets (I would certain ask!), you can pull those forward as well, to make them easier to reach. And and easy-reach cabinet is easier to use than an angled upper.

• romy718
    9 years ago

If DH absolutely hates it, how about refrigerator or freezer drawers to make up for the lost cu ft with the CD refrigerator?