Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajhhajhh

Is this fabricator telling me the truth?

ajhhajhh
9 years ago

How do you find a good granite fabricator?

My contractor referred me to one. I have a gut feeling I should not use them.

After after a lengthy sales pitch from a customer service guy in the showroom, trying to get me to buy their polished granite that they had on display in their store, I had to reiterate over and over that I didn't want any polished granite. I didn't like any of the stone styles and I didn't want polished. I want a matte finish. Just a personal preference. This fabricator said they could not hone, leather, or brush any granite. I would have to find the slab already honed, leathered or brushed at a stone yard and then they'd do the rest. He handed me a sheet with 10 local stone yards to contact.

I called around to various stone yards and found the already leathered slab of Marron Cohiba granite we want. We have it on hold. I have a 3.5 x 5 inch sample of the granite from the stone yard. They said to test it at home for use and then have our fabricator do the edge we want on it to see how it will look as they know our fabricator cannot hone, leather or brush granite because they don't have the right attachments (tools?).

I asked the fabricator how are they going to finish the sink cut out edges and finish the edges to match the leathering. We were hoping for a thumbnail edge on this granite. Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but they said that the edges would look similar to the sample I have and he said that the cut edges are grey and that is what the finished edges would look like and that they wouldn't do much to them. The sample I have has grey sides that look like cut rock. Not nice at all and it certainly doesn't look finished. Where I have tested the sample with lemon juice, ketchup, olive oil and water, it looks fine, but the edges that are finished/rough and these test solutions have dripped down, things look splotchy and darker.

I asked the fabricator if he could do the same edge (thumbnail) on our sample so we can see the finished product and finish. He said that the sample is too small and he can't do it. Do I need to get a bigger sample to have him do an edge for inspection?

I called the customer service person at the main store (not the fabricator) and already he lost my kitchen layout drawing from 3 days ago where he miscalculated the amount of granite we need. (He calculated 54 square feet, I have calculated 45.) I had to rescan in the image and send it to him and his fabricator.

I still don't have a price from the customer service rep on the slabs we have on hold as the stone yard only deals directly with the fabricators on pricing.

After reading many posts here, I understand that the fabricator and installer (one on the same?) are the most important part of the granite countertop process to ensure happiness with the finished product. I believe that I need a fabricator that I can trust, communicates honestly and openly, who will finish the edges and sink cutouts appropriately, will not damage the stone, cut everything the right size and install them correctly while giving me the right advice on sealing and care. I don't feel I can trust this current fabricator. Am I being too harsh?

Do any fabricators ever tell a customer simply that they can't do what the customer wants and that they need to find another fabricator? Do fabricators ever refer customers to other fabricators?

Where do I go to find a fabricator that can use the slabs I have on hold?

Is it important to find one that has worked with Marron Cohiba granite before? What if your fabricator breaks/ruins the slabs you bought while cutting out sink holes and such because they didn't know how to work with your variety of stone?

Is it important to find one that has leathered granite so they know how to do the edges to match?

Comments (8)

• Jillius
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We found ours because my mother recommended him. Aside from a reference from someone you trust, preferably someone whose kitchen you can go see, I'm not sure where you'd go to find a good fabricator. I've also searched my area+fabricator on gardenweb and yelp.

I definitely think you should trust your gut. This guy seems sketchy? Go talk to some other fabricators and see how they deal with your same proposal. You'll quickly see some differences and some commonalities in the responses that will help you establish reference points and a mainline for your expectations. Then reassess this fabricator. You'll either assuage your fears or confirm that your fabricator is sketchy, but either way, you'll be better off than you are now.

Also, just as a general rule of thumb, you never want to be the first person to ask your workman to do a thing that way. If he's reacting like your idea is crazy weird, go find someone who finds it hum-drum. The second guy will do a better job because he's experienced with that thing and does jobs like yours every day. The first guy will make all his learning mistakes on your job and charge you for the extra time it takes him to figure it out.

Just on that principle, I would switch from this fabricator to one who actively leathers granite all the time. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Move on to a different fabricator. You've got an expensive slab (shoud need 2) and you need someone who can do what you want. Just beware of getting what you want. Honed will grab oil and dirt and hold on to it much worse than polished. Be sure that you are prepared for the extra work.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

We got leathered granite as well (not honed), and we had to pick a preleathered slab. My fabricator does awesome work, but they do not leather granite. Or edges are eased and corners near zero radius (what we wanted), and they look great.

The edge thing is weird. That is a red flag. Are there any other gardenwebbers near you? Can you get a referral her e? I actually used Yep to help me.

Also, PLEASE go look at the slab. There were two lots of leathered Bros Blue at the year when I went. One is presently on my kitchen. The other was totally unacceptable to me. Lots vary dramatically. Don't summer that you'll be OK with it from the sample. It was a pain, but we traveled to the different yards. The closest was a mere 50 minutes away. The ultimate was 1.5 hours. It was worth it!

(If it's really to far too travel, all for lots on pictures.)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Am I being too harsh?"

No.

This fabricator has a business model that makes him money and your job does not fit. He would have to invest in the tools/training to perform what you want. He doesn't get enough call for leathered finishes for the investment to make a sufficient return.

Move on; there's plenty of competition among stoners.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

As for what happens if the fabricator breaks your stone while doing cutouts etc., that would be on him. Our otherwise very good fabricator made an incorrect cut in our stone - fortunately, the next slab in order was still available, he went and picked it up the next day (and paid for it), redid the work, and I was just set back a week on installation.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a ffabricator.

"Do any fabricators ever tell a customer simply that they can't do what the customer wants and that they need to find another fabricator? Do fabricators ever refer customers to other fabricators? "

It is definitely true that not all fabricators can do everything. Also, sometimes a customer wants something that is incompatible with their selected stone. (Example: some stones will crack when subjected to the mechanical stresses created by machining an Ogee edge.)

And yes, sometimes a fabricator will refer a potential customer to a competitor.

Be glad your fabricator is making you aware of his limitations now so you have the opportunity to go elsewhere.

re: leathered granite and edges, most shops I know of will finish the edges on a leathered (or honed) stone to a 800 grit hone. It is possible by adding another step to provide a slightly irregular "brushed" finish but it's expensive as it's all handwork and it doesn't match the factory leathered finish anyway.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Why don't you ask the stone yard where you found the slab to recommend a fabricator. They already knew that your fabricator couldn't handle the job - maybe they know someone who can. Since the fabricator already told you he can't do what you want, why would you even consider using him?

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

You can also look up their references on line - especially through something like Angie's list. You learn a lot that way. Sometimes people get bad ratings because they didn't call the customer right away or something like that, but you read their comments and learn a lot. Around here the granite yards can tell you who the reputable fabricators are. I chose one with the dumpiest warehouse ever, but they had a great reputation and I couldn't be happier with my stone.