Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

Layout help

rbpdx
9 years ago

It's that time again... Layout help.
attached is the picture from the listing.

I'll post the 2 layout in mind in the next post.

We are thinking of putting lazy susan at the corner and swapping the dishwasher and sink location to the sink can be centered by window.

We are considering removing the peninsula and adding an island instead.

Also currently we have a electric stove, we will be pulling in gas in the reno.

Thanks in advance for the input

Comments (10)

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

same as before, upgrade all cabinet bottom for drawers.

This post was edited by pdxkit on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 1:02

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

what would you do? confused.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Some may disagree with me but I would ditch the island and keep the peninsula. You don't have much continuous counter space for prep and that would at least give you a decent L-shaped section. I would also lose the diagonal corner cabinets and put in the 90 degree cabinets instead. That would give you a bit more breathing room next to the sink and dishwasher. Absolutely most definitely would lose the upper cabinets over the peninsula. Remove the soffits and take the remaining upper cabinets to the ceiling. I'm sure others will have more/better ideas but those are my initial thoughts.

• huango
    9 years ago

Can you label the adjoining rooms?

What is that blank wall near the table?
    Is that your only way out?
    According to the pictures, it's a large window.

I had a similar layout.
    See my before and after.

Before:

AFTER:
    I have another slider door in my familyroom to go out to the backyard, so I closed off the doors in the kitchen.

sorry for bad picture:
    {{!gwi}}

Good luck,
    Amanda

• huango
    9 years ago

Forgot 1 thing:
    - think INDUCTION: you get the heating power/quick response of gas, but easy cleaning of electric.
    You don't need to pipe in gas-line.

My friend just got the GE induction stove, w/ electric oven.

One of the best things I did for the reno!

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall on the right is a banister but right next to it is the main door. So can't really be removed.
    behind Stove wall is the garage.
    Prefer lazy susan coz always find corner cab useless.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Are you living in the house yet?

The biggest problem I see is that you have a lot of counter with the peninsula, but the fridge, range, and sink are crowded together.

If you went with an island, you could move the fridge to the outside wall, and give yourself a lot more space around the range. Greenhaven did this, and is happy with the result. You probably even have room for a pantry cabinet in the old fridge location.

I used to have a similar corner configuration - range, lazy susan, sink. In my remodel, I moved the range over a foot, so it's 2 feet from the corner. What a difference!

You can still have a LS in the corner, but use an angled cabinet, with a hinged door.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

We have lazy susan's inside our 90 degree corner cabinets so you can get the usefulness while still opening up the space a bit.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the mess. Yes we are living in the house. Here is the pic from the door. Thinking ofctakibg out the banister as well. We are replacing the laminate with wood

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Is that main door to the front or back yard? Is there a door opening in the bottom right corner? (Were does the hall lead to?)
    Are you willing to move windows? What is in the space to the left of the refrigerator?
    Maybe a full house plan would help.