Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shermp_gw

What height for a kichen cabinet drawer?

shermp
13 years ago

How tall do you recommend for pots, pans, mixing bowls, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Buehl

Oops! I meant to post a link to my "Drawer Insides" pictures. The majority of my base cabinets are 3-drawer bases. Additionally, I have one 4-drawer base, two sink bases, a trash pullout, two 6" pullouts (door attached to the pullout), and one cabinet w/a top drawer & 2 roll out tray shelves (which I do not like, btw.) For reference, here are the dimensions of my drawers:

Cabinet Line: Omega Dynasty Face Frame: 1-1/2"
    Drawer box wall thickness: 5/8"
    Interior Depth of drawer box (front-to-back): 19-3/4"
    Approx interior width of any drawer box = cabinet width" - 4-1/2"
    Usable Drawer Heights/Depths (interior drawer bottom-to-stile b/w drawers):

• 3-drawer stack:

• Drawer 1 (Top) = 3-1/4"

• Drawer 2 = 8-1/4"

• Drawer 3 = 8-1/4"

4-drawer stack:

• Drawer 2 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 3 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 4 = 6"

Top Drawer of a "standard" cabinet (i.e., top

drawer + doors) = 3-1/4"

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Drawers

• Buehl

Oops! I meant to post a link to my "Drawer Insides" pictures. The majority of my base cabinets are 3-drawer bases. Additionally, I have one 4-drawer base, two sink bases, a trash pullout, two 6" pullouts (door attached to the pullout), and one cabinet w/a top drawer & 2 roll out tray shelves (which I do not like, btw.) For reference, here are the dimensions of my drawers:

• 3-drawer stack:

• Drawer 2 = 8-1/4"

• Drawer 3 = 8-1/4"

4-drawer stack:

• Drawer 2 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 3 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 4 = 6"

drawer + doors) = 3-1/4"

• Buehl

• 3-drawer stack:

• Drawer 2 = 8-1/4"

• Drawer 3 = 8-1/4"

4-drawer stack:

• Drawer 2 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 3 = 4-3/8"

• Drawer 4 = 6"

drawer + doors) = 3-1/4"

• User
    13 years ago

really depends on how tall YOU are, though the accepted standard is in the 20-30" above the floor range.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Drawers in the upper half of the cabinet are for constant access and heavy things like cast iron frying pans.
    Drawers in the lower half of the cabinet are for longer term storage.

If the baseline of a deep drawer is at about 19" or 20" off the floor, this is great for ergonomics, as when you open it the contents are at about 25" from the floor, almost at your hand height.

I have 14 drawer fronts and they are all 15" high.

when i pull open one of my drawer fronts, inside it i have a 9"+ deep lower drawer, and an internal drawer, 4.25" shallow.

opening another one of my drawer fronts, inside it i have a 6.5" deep lower drawer, and two internal drawers, both 3" shallow.
    This is for plates and cutlery.

another deep drawer is 8" high inside, with a shallow internal drawer above it.
    The total space in this one is less than the previous two because the induction cooktop descends into the space a bit.
    For pots I use a lot, the drawer is 8" high.
    There is All Clad and Ikea365, standing, with their matching colander / steamer inside.

In one corner of the kitchen we are not yet sure whether we will have a 15" high drawer, i.e. without any internal drawer.
    So far we haven't needed that space at all, for long term storage.

HTH

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Measure your pots & pans...how tall is your tallest pot? Most people get two deep drawers for their pots & pans. In my case, I'm using the bottom two drawers of a 3-drawer stack. The bottom drawers have 8-1/4" usable height (b/w the bottom of the drawer & the stile b/w drawers).

I don't fry much, so my pans are in the bottom drawer & my pots are in the middle drawer. I have prep & cooking utensils in the top drawer, directly under the cooktop.

Top Drawer:

Middle Drawer:

(Yes, my ladles & flippers are in this drawer...they're too big to fit under the cooktop, which extends a bit into the top drawer.)

Bottom Drawer:

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Height is not the only determinant for countertop height; your upper arm length also is a factor. To determine the best countertop height for you, do the following... (you'll need someone else to help you with this)
    Stand up straight with your feet together (no slouching! :-) )
    Hang your arms straight down at your sides.
    Next, while keeping your upper arms straight down at your sides, bend your elbow 90o.
    Now have someone measure the distance b/w the floor and your elbow.
    Subtract 6".

This is your ideal counter height.