Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aonefun_gw

island overhang

aonefun
9 years ago

based on my attached layout is there enough room for barstool seating when making a 10" overhang on the long side of the island? I am told there is 12" distance between edge of island cabinets and the walkway so a 10" overhang will be 2" shy of the walkway before putting stools there.

Comments (2)

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Well, it depends. It's totally fine with just the chairs pushed in.

When people are sitting at the island, it will be tight & inconvenient squeeze to walk behind them, but it would be possible. Do you envision it often being the case that people will be sitting there while other people need to pass behind them frequently? If yes, then I'd not do this. If no, then I think it'd be fine.

I'm actually more concerned about how the dishwasher will open into where someone would be standing while at the sink. You should switch the locations of the sink and the stove to fix that.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Totally agree with Jillius - I would put the sink and dishwasher on the wall with the refrigerator and put the stove where the dishwasher is now (not in the corner), partly because of the dishwasher-opening issue, and partly because the best alignment is fridge-sink-cooktop.

I can't answer your other question because I don't follow what you're describing.