Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 0:54

I have seen several pix of DW been placed NOT next to the sink but at least 24" away, in some cases a lot more than that. I was thinking of placing it 24" to the left of the sink which would be 36" from the sink basin if I got Kohler Stages (or a similar Ticor sink) with recessed prep area or a sink with a drainboard.

But the "expert articles" have left me confused about the maximum allowable distance between the sink and the DW as some said 36" and some said 12". For example:

1) Guideline: Locate nearest edge of the primary dishwasher within 36" of the nearest edge of a cleanup/prep sink, according to The Thirty-One Kitchen Design Rules, Illustrated (http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.design.rules.htm)

2) 'the allowable 12" from the sink' according to http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.commercial.htm.

Which is it???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dishwasher placement: 36" or 12" from the sink???

well, 12" certainly would be within the 36".

if it can be placed right next to the sink, I always think that's best. I know a few on here have been a bit farther away but I think they had particular reasons for that.

and a couple have put them across from the sink in the island (a bit offset). I think that's to keep the door out of their way while they unload it.

o

Unless there is a particular constraint, the closer, the better. Ours is right next to the sink base and I'm still mopping up drips off the floor from plates and such as they are loaded. If it was further, there'd definitely be more mopping.

o

I have a 12 inch trash pull-out between the sink and DW, and it takes no extra effort to load the DW than if it was right beside it. I wouldn't want to take extra steps with each dish if it was further away.

o

My DW and sink are going right next to each other, DW to the left of sink. Are you thinking of locating it further from the sink to make unloading more convenient?

It's really YOUR call, so place it where you would like it. Those articles are just 'helpful guidelines' not cast in granite!

o

I would think that the cabinet in between the sink and dw would become unavailable to anyone wanting to use it while dishes are being done--i.e. trash would be hard to access if someone is standing in front of it to process dishes.

I really like having the dw next to the sink. It makes makes the work area more compact.

o

Another vote for keeping the DW next to the sink. I can't imagine the drips and spills that would occur all along the counter and floor as the dirty dishes were loaded from the sink area if the DW was further away. Sounds like more work to me.

Why are you wanting to put the DW so far away from the clean-up sink? Have you got a layout you can post?

o

That 36" is if you are doing a raised DW in which you want some counter space before the raised counter section. Or it's in case of a DW around the corner, as is done in some smaller kitchens where there is a corner cabinet in between the sink and DW and the DW is 90 degrees to the sink. You've got to have a 12" cabinet next to the sink before the corner starts so you can stand at the sink and load that DW around the corner. If it's on a straight run, with the same counter height, you don't want more than 12" between the DW and sink. But, ideally, it's located directly adjacent to the sink cabinet. That's less dripping and less blocking of the aisle with an open DW door.

o

We just moved our DW around the corner from the sink because I was sick of the blind corner and not being able to reach all the upper cabinets while I was unloading the dishwasher.

Most likely the reason you are seeing discrepancies in distances is because the allowable distance is determined by the strength of the DW pump. Most newer DW can handle a little bit of distance. I have been assured by my plumber that my pump is strong enough to get the water back to the disposal even though the line is now over seven feet long.

Maybe your DW manufacturer can give you the "official" number for you. Keep in mind though the distance you have to travel to load the dishes. Ours is now perpendicular to where we stand at the sink so loading is not much more difficult or further than it was when the DW was next to the sink.

o

I have had the DW 12 inches from my sink and loved it. I didn't have the room to do it in this kitchen. The reason I liked it is that it is much easier for me to unload glasses into the upper next to the sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here