Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momfromthenorth

Organizing a CD FD Frig

momfromthenorth
9 years ago

So many of you have terrific organizing ideas that I thought I'd stop here to see how best to organize a FD CD refrigerator.

We are going from an older "top freezer" refrigerator to a new FD refrigerator (Samsung model RF23HCEDTSR). And I might add that we've always had a top freezer model so this will be a change for us. Originally we were going to go with the Electrolux CD FD but after reading all of the negative reviews/problems about Elux - not just here but online in general - we changed our order to the Samsung.

The refrigerator does have ice/water in the door so we know that is going to cut down on door shelf space. I'd like to make the most of the space if possible. I'm wondering if any of you have any tips on organizing a pull-out freezer ? The model that we are getting has 2 compartments in the freezer bin - shallow top level drawer which pulls out with the larger "bin".

Any tips you are willing to share would be most appreciated!!

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Buy an extra door bin for those itty bitty condiments. And buy an extra non self defrosting freezer for the garage. No house freezer stores enough for a Costco run.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'm with Hollysprings - our bottom freezer stays pretty organized, but we have a small upright in the basement for bulk purchases and bulky items.

In our FD (full-depth) fridge, I keep a plastic bin for yogurt. Wish I'd thought of that years ago!

I also arranged the shelves so that the top shelves are up high, with things we don't use much (or eggs, which take up space front to back, but not side to side).

I also minimize the beverages in the fridge - I keep a 6-pack of beer bottles, and a 6-pack of pop cans. I restock these from a dedicated beer/pop cabinet near the fridge.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I have a counter depth also with bottom freezer. I live in a condo so no other place for me for an extra fridge or freezer. I use clear fridge and freezer binz - love them. They keep things organized and cleaner. If anything is sticky or drips it will drip in these as opposed to my shelfs. I also use these inside the cabinets to keep things organized.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oh. My. GOSH! A bin for the yogurt? I just had the biggest SMH moment! Thanks, annkh!

And I do miss my upright freezer. When I start cooking again for real I will probably end up replacing the old, smelly one we gave away when we moved.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The negative reviews I read were all old reviews about the ice maker when the Electrolux was a new product. That problem was fixed before we bought ours in January 2012. It's a great fridge.

I would never put ice on the door in a CD fridge. I see you're a "mom". Our CD is a tight fit at times for just two of us. Another couple we know just bought one with ice in the door and are complaining.

• momfromthenorth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May_flowers, my kids have flown the coop so it's just me and my DH now. There are many current negative reviews on the elux as well which is what made us change our minds. Time will tell. If it was a bad move we'll fix it and move on. I'm not going to fuss with this anymore. Just finding refrigerators that will fit into our space requirements was challenging enough. Eventually we will redo our kitchen but I'm not ready for that yet.

And yes, we do have an extra frig downstairs, and even a small one in the garage for drinks so we're prepared for the smaller size.

Our 28 yr old refrigerator - yes, it's still working just fine - is "cabinet depth" as in that's the standard size it came in back in '86 which shows how much refrigerators have "grown" over the years. I wouldn't be replacing it if the shelves weren't starting to go. Two have cracked. I know there will be a lot less door storage too on this new one and I'm bracing myself. Another reason I"m looking for organizing tips.

Jancy, I'm going to look for those clear frig and freeze bins. Hopefully they will be available around here. Good idea - Thank you!

• jrueter
    9 years ago

I have a similar model Samsung CD FD fridge for myself, DH and teenaged DS. I like the shallow depth, because things don't get lost in the back.
    We have beverages on the right door, condiments on the left door.
    The top shelf has a few rarely used items and a few meals defrosting for later cooking (I do bulk meal prep and freeze the prepped meals).
    The second shelf has eggs and yogurt under the ice bin for the thru door ice and bread products on the other side.
    The bottom shelf has a large container of plain yogurt, extra milk (we drink ~4 gal/week), leftovers and any overflow.
    One small drawer has cheeses and lunchmeats, etc. The larger drawer and the other small drawer have fruits and veggies.
    The top tray in the freezer has a bin for ice cubes, frozen veggies, a bunch of freezable water bottles and ice cream. the large lower portion has two halves; one half has cold packs, frozen potatoes and meat. The other half holds 12-14 prepared meals.