Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macnc

KITH Cabinets

macnc
9 years ago

This is our first kitchen reno, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Our cabinets were delivered earlier this week. I'm appalled.

The photo shows a cabinet where the particle board had split, but rather than placing the side, someone had just stapled the board to the bottom. We also have several warped doors as well as amateurishly constructed dovetailed slide-out trays where the tops and sides are 1/4" off.

Are cabinets really so poorly made these days? I was told by my contractor that the KITH line aren't cheap cabinets.

Comments (12)

• macnc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pull-out trays

• ajc71
    9 years ago

"Are cabinets really so poorly made these days?"

These certainly are

I had never heard of Kith before, but just looked them up....these are (should have been) inexpensive cabinets

• threegraces
    9 years ago

Wow, that's terrible "craftsmanship". I'm sorry you have to deal with this and hope you get resolution.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Waiting for the particle board fans to start defending in 3, 2, 1...
    They can send you out another one that has not yet broken, but embodies great potential for doing so at the least provocation.
    Casey

• macnc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinets were $27K, but it's a big kitchen. The cabinets I'm replacing are two decades old and were plywood, made on site by a local cabinet maker (long retired). My contractor insists that KITH makes a quality product. I was at Ikea today and their cabinet boxes looked a heck of a lot better!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

If I paid $27k and received that I would be madder than an old wet hen. Absolutely unacceptable.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 18:48

• macnc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The KITH sales rep and the showroom rep came out to the house yesterday. They took photos and will be shipping out some replacements. It'll take two weeks, so my entire project is now delayed.

I was told that the roll-out trays are assembled by KITH from pre-manufactured parts, hence the quality issues. So, I guess it's another company's fault? Even if so, KITH shipped those pieces knowing how poorly assembled they were.

And, naturally, because this is how things work, a corner on a cabinet disintegrated when the electricians moved it to get to the wall. I've used particle board for other projects. It isn't plywood, but I've never seen the stuff crumble before.

• lam702
    9 years ago

$20,000? Whew, sorry to hear that. Seems overpriced for the quality. Many cabinets have particleboard sides, I think but they really shouldn't crumble. Unless of course, it got wet. Hopefully your replacements will be better.

• apsara
    9 years ago

Maybe you can tell your contractor that you refuse to accept the cabinets and ask him to remove them from your home. Remember he took his markup too....possibly 100%. Tell him you want a refund.

This post was edited by apsara on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 17:58

• macnc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the info. The GC liked to share the quote directly from the supplier. I knew full well that the quote included his mark-up, but didn't realize it was that much. There have been all sorts of issues with this project. The GC had a good reputation. I had thought he was honest, but disorganized. However, I've noticed that none of the subs who are here on a regular basis will make eye contact anymore. Guess it's time to call my lawyer.

• N Younger
    9 months ago

Whatever happened?