Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile is up, lots of thinset ridges still stuck to slab, btdt?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 0:47

Taking up tile has got to be the biggest pain in the butt ever. The slab was leveled before the tile went down the first time, but not enough. Dh thinks he can rent a grinder and remove the ridges and level the floor at the same time. I'm doubtful but really have no idea. I can just imagine the amount of dust that will cover everything.

Have you done this, or watched it? How was it done? Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile is up, lots of thinset ridges still stuck to slab, btdt?

I can tell I found it easier to chip the thinset off the tiles than I expected.

As for the floor...?
Why don't you ask your tile guy? You don't need to be making a bad thing worse.

o

I'd cover everything with plastic then. including open doorways to other rooms. every little bit you can keep OFF of your other stuff the better. and less to clean later.

I've still got some areas with vinyl still attached... gotta work on that. yuck. It shouldn't be as messy as yours will be tho. I still dread it.

o

Our entry tile was taken up while we reno'd then whole house so at least I didn't have to worry about dust at that point as the whole house was a dusty, gross, gutted, to-the-studs mess. DH chipped the thin set off with a large, wide scraper he rented. I remember he had trouble finding the right tool and procrastinated the job as long as possible.

Wait....we don't have a slab though so maybe your situation will be worse than our car decking sub floor?

o

DH attempted getting the thin set up with the chipper hammer and it didn't work. it was easier for us just to take the sub floor up, replace the base and then start with a clean slate. Good luck!

o

First thing I would try is a "demolition hammer" or a "rotary hammer" (set not to rotate).

I doubt your DHs idea of getting the leveling done in the same step will work, although his grinding idea may work.

o

I went to a flooring store today to pick out new tile and am having someone come over to give an estimate on leveling the floor as well as measuring for tile.

The salesman said that most of the time they don't worry too much about the thinset that is left on the floor because they just cover it with more thinset. I don't know about that, but I'll see what the estimate is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here