Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Under-cabinet lighting- dimmable?

olivertwistkitchen
10 years ago

Kitchen almost done, and the UCL (LED tape) looks nice.
However, I just realized that it isn't dimmable like we had specified in our contract. But it looks fine, and I can't see how having it be dimmable would be useful.

How hard would it be to have them fix this now?
Should I bother?
Is there a cost difference? If we paid for dimmable and didn't get dimmable, should I ask for money back?

Comments (14)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

The Lighting Division has a dimmer that installs in line on the low voltage side, about 1in high or less so often fits under cabinet-really inexpensive. Should work with any system but I haven't tried it with other brands as I now use Hafele which has their own dimming switch.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

My UCL are not dimmable and I like them that way. I know other people think that having them dim is important. It is something I have never understood.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

My lighting designer wanted me to use dimmable UCL but I honestly couldn't understand why dimmable UCL would be useful in our kitchen, so we didn't get it and I don't regret it at all. The instances I could see it being useful is if you wanted mood lighting in your kitchen or if your kitchen is a night time pass-through where you might want a soft nightlight of sorts. My cabinet maker told me that's why he used dimmable in his kitchen.

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

I have friends who definitely said they dim their UCL, so I wanted mine dimmable as well.

Is the LED tape you used dimmable?

We used the Armacost LED tape from Home Depot. We could have either went with the Armacost dimmer, or used a dimmable power supply with a wall dimmer. Since I wanted to use a rocker dimmer (Diva), we went with the dimmable power supply (about $70). I bought a Diva dimmer approved by Armacost, but have not yet installed it!! So I cannot speak to how it works yet, but it's been tested by Armacost so should be ok.

Good luck!

This post was edited by Ellen1234 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 17:53

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

I went out of my way and bought dimmable, direct-wire UCL, and a special ELV dimmer to control them. However, I never bothered to install the dimmer! Have never felt the need.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I ask for money back, though? Or let it go.

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

Personally, I would at least ask about it. It was more expensive to go the dimmable route, at least for what we did.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Dimmable LV LED's are very nice, especially at night.

If you paid for but didn't get them yes, ask for money back.
    Or ask for switch out to dimmable. Your call.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I have Dimmable LEDs under counter but LED tape inside a couple of uppers and in the skylight as uplighting. We have dimmers on both and really like the feature. It is nice to have a it on low late at night when overnight guests are visiting and may be trying to get a glass of wat at night. A lot of times when we are hanging out as family after dinner, we prefer low lighting.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Like some other respondents, I have dimmable UCL, I but pretty much never dim it. I got dimmable because so many people here liked it. Unless you really think you'll use it, see if there is a difference in price, and if so it should be an adjustment.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have UCL lights that dim and I do use it all of the time. When I am working in the kitchen - they are on full blast, but when I just want a bit of ambience, I dim them down.
    I also use them like GWlolo and have them on low level at night.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

So, really, you need to decide if you want the dimming feature. If you don't, then there should be a price adjustment because the dimming mechanisms (switch or special power supply or even special led tape) that are missing cost more than non-dimmable. You have paid for dimmable, you didn't get it.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Wall dimmers are pricey- in line often are not. The one I mentioned is about $20- for Hafele tape the dimmer is $40 list same as a standard touch switch.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs