Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Looking for BATTERY operated under cabinet lighting

olivesmom
10 years ago

We are putting our house up for sale by the end of the month. Before we do we have a few projects to complete and we are seriously considering having some inexpensive prefab granite countertops installed. We will probably go with a dark color and I think under cabinet lighting would help to show it off. I'm not looking to spend a fortune (but I could attach them with velcro or something and take them with us to the new house if they end up being pricey- so I guess I'm saying they don't have to be cheap). The cabinets don't have that bottom trim piece, so I need the lights to be thin too.

Does anyone know of any decent battery operated under cabinet lighting? I've seen the puck things, just worried that they might be too thick and cast too much of a spotlight.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• jess1979
    10 years ago

We got some that were made for under cabinets at either Home depo or Lowes. They were not very expensive.

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

I just got a pack of battery operated led puck lights from lowes, they were like $12 for three I think. They are tap on tap off, plenty of life, and easy to open and replace aaa batteries when needed.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

You'd be better off with a simple system that daisy chains to plug into an outlet in your backsplash than battery. You can get inexpensive fluorescents that will do that at any box store. They will provide more light than battery operated lights, and if you daisy chain them, you can turn them on and off with a single switch instead of laboriously going from light to light. It will give a better impression of the house to the potential buyers as well.

• clg7067
    10 years ago

I bought something like this from my local computer store. Mine are stainless. These must also come in other finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: puck lights

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I believe that HD is carrying LED tape lights now. You just plug the transformer into an outlet, and the light strips connect into it. Probably similar to the Hafele LED lights that I used in my showroom. It's easy to DIY, and it gives great ambiance. Much better than the puck lights!

You can even use them for in cabinet lighting if you have any glass cabinets. Even with the wood shelves, by tucking it behind the face frame, you light up everything in the cabinet.

• calumin
    10 years ago

I bought some battery operated puck lights for my bedroom closet. For me they provided so little light I threw them away. If you're looking for actual task lighting, I don't think those will work.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I for these at Costco. It was very twisty getting the mounting screws into the front of the cabinet. Then the lights aren't all that great.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll look at those ones at Costco. I don't need the light, but I thought it might highlight the dark granite or something. I know the light output won't be all that wonderful, I just want to play up the granite and sell this house. The daisy chain stuff is way over my head and I don't think I have the desire to figure it all out. I would like something I can just slap up there. I'm quite confident that prospective buyers won't even really notice the under cabinet lighting, just that the granite is highlighted. Thanks!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Live wire oak - I wish I would have known about the Hafele LED lights. Our reno isn't done yet and I thought I researched & obsessed over every little detail. This is the third thread I've read today about something I should have done but didn't. We had the puck lights installed in our glass cabinets and the on/off /dimming switch is going to be disrupting the beautiful backsplash I just picked out. I have nothing inside my glass cabinets to plug these lights into so too late?

• blubird
    10 years ago

In the newest edition of Family Handyman magazine (October 2013, p. 15) there is mention of a new battery-powered under cab puck light. Interestingly, each puck has its own motion sensor so there is no switch to turn them on, and they're available in both brown and white. Looks like they're only available mail order and cost $30 for a pack of two.

NAYY....just looks like an interesting option.

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: motion sensor uc light