Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to put the disposer

Posted by CT_Newbie (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 0:14

Hi! I had been thinking it would make the most sense to put the disposer under the main sink. That way, when we clean up, extra food can get ground up. However, I have seen some people put a disposer on their prep sink. Also, I'm getting a Farmer Sink and saw occasional cracking because of the disposer vibration. I asked the plumber about this and he said any disposer can go with the farm sink (but I will still ask that he hand tighten the disposer when he installs it

Please advise. I think our prep sink might be 15" to 18" wide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to put the disposer

Wen I had two sinks, I had a disposal in each, and used both frequently (we compost more now so we hardly use the disposal at all anymore, but we still have one for odds and ends).

o

Not one or the other. Both. One of the best pieces of advice my former GC gave me was to put GD at both. We compost a lot, but I'd hate to be digging out grimy food bits from either sink. Prep sink has prep bits. Cleanup sink has cleanup bits.

Both. :)

Edited to fix typos from ipad auto-text.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 16:43

o

Do you have one now? You could put tape on the switch to stop using it for a week, then you would know. I spent a week on vacation in a house without one, and decided to put one at each sink. Costco had a good deal.

o

Wow! That was pretty unanimous. I have one now which is why I want one (but we only have one sink). And yes, I run it for 10 sec almost each day. I don't throw huge chunks of food out, it's just the loose bits and pieces from rinsing veggies or what remains on the plate when I rinse before putting it in the DW (yes, I know that's a no no) Ugh, it's another thing I am adding which I guess the contractor will consider a change order (blech)

I might have filtered water at the prep sink. Do you think it will get too crowded down there? I talked to one water guy who was recommending a $600 system (plus cartridges) to filter the water from chlorine, bacteria and parasites. I think the main system was to go under the floor (not in the cabinet) but I know some filters go under the cabinet. DH thought the $600 system and the cost of the cartridges at $120 per 6-9 months was high compared to some GE models but I don't know if they were filtering out the same things.

The man recommended putting the filtered water faucet on the main island in case I have to fill a large pot for soup but I only make soup once or twice a year and I measure out the water in the measuring cup. I think it much more likely that someone would want a refill on the island and might be able to reach across to the prep sink to get it. Also, I was thinking I could put a large pitcher in the prep sink and use that to fill bigger vessels for say, lemonade, for a large party

But I digress. OK, will add another one (perhaps just a low end model) to the preps sink.

Thanks!

o

CT, I included info about filtration in responding to one of your other sink threads http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg090011365693.html
To really decide on filtration, you need to know what is in your water that you want out - and how much flow you need. There are many threads on the subject in this forum, appliances, and plumbing.
Fitting everything under the cabinet is one thing, wanting a lot of holes in your countertop and hardware on your island is another thing.

o

We are doing both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here