Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

What do you think about this backsplash for my kitchen?

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I was thinking I would do ming green in mini bricks but then I found this 2x12 shape and DH and I both love it. Thoughts?

Here it is shown on a backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

and in a bathroom:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a picture showing my cabinet color & style and my soapstone (Minas, black with some veining) along with the ming green in 1x1:

{{!gwi}}

Anita

Comments (33)

• dtimberld
    15 years ago

It is beautiful. I have soapstone countertops, and two years after completion am finally going to do my backsplash. . . Your choice is awesome.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Gorgeous together! I love the warm greens with the wood!

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

I really like the long rectangles. It's going to be a gorgeous kitchen.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

LOVE the larger sleek style of the splash. Less grout lines too! Awesome pick.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I love the long skinny tiles! They are a fresh look to me - more so than the small squares. Both are beautiful, but my vote is for the long tiles. In the kitchen vignette (first photo), the tile has a subtle sophistication. Aren't those dark cabs too just like yours? The long tiles have some natural tones that will compliment your cabs. Can you tell us who makes the tile and if it comes in different colors?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your feedback! I was so excited last night about finding this tile that I couldn't sleep well, so that tells me a lot. I emailed to place the order already this am. Poor little blue kitchen has hours left...

boysrus2, those dark cabs DO look a lot like mine! I went back to look again after reading your comment and I realized that is the faucet I picked, too! Finally, on the day my demo is taking place, I think I found my inspiration picture :)

I'm not sure who makes the long tiles. I'm getting them from a dealer called FineLines in Chicago who is selling them on clearance. Amazing deal. They also have travertine in this shape which looks gorgeous, plus honey onyx and something he calls white marble but doesn't show pics of so I'm not sure if it is carrara, thassos, calcutta, or what.

Anita

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a photo of the white 2 x 12 which created a mild crisis of confidence. Should I get the green (above) or the white?

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Anita... I'm not too much of a green color girl but THAT green is almost sea like so beautiful. I'd definitely go with that with your soapstone and dark cabs.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

Wow - love 'em both...much more than the mosaic. The white tile is safer if you like to change your color schemes a lot, but that green is lovely!

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

One other thought - in 5 years, will you be changing your name to nomoregreenbacksplash? :)

• iris16
    15 years ago

Those tiles are beautiful. Can you link to the web site where you found them please?

• jennabanenna
    15 years ago

I saw the ming green on ebay last night.. I think I looked it up by 4 X12 tile(they have other sizes)..wouldn't hurt to check. Its a beautiful choice.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I think both are beautiful and either one would look great with your cabs and counters. Both can be neutral, the white more so, but I don't think you can go wrong either way (not much help, sorry!).

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jenna,

That is the same listing where I found the 2 x 12s! I hadn't seen that shape elsewhere and I loved it. The prices are phenomenal, too.

Iris, here is the link.

http://stores.ebay.com/FineLineFinishes

Anita

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I love both. I do love the green, but if you think you might tire of it then go with the cream and use green accents. You can always change the color of your accents whenever you feel like it.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

LOVE IT!!
    would probably go with the cream just in terms of it being more neutral.

the green is gorgeous, but what happens if it ends up being a trend and when it is passed it looks dated.

love the combo of your cabinets, counters and the tile. will look sensational!

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pepper07,

That is my fear!!! I love it in the photos, but all these stories online about how a backsplash goes up different that you expected scares me, and getting tired of it scares me, too!

Of course a backsplash is much easier to change than a whole kitchen. If the blue had been the only thing wrong w/ my kitchen I'd sure have painted white in a heartbeat.

Anita

• iris16
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link to the ebay store!

• alto
    15 years ago

These are beautiful. Thanks for posting. I just bookmarked the seller on my ebay account. I won't have my final floor plans back from my builder until next week. Once I do, I may need to order this tile, since I won't be ready until late spring.

I love the green in the 2x12 for our shower.

The green is beautiful, like you said if you get bored in a 5-6 years, a backsplash is easy to change.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

It's not my favorite. I like Ming green mixed with whites and creams, but not all alone over a large area next to soapstone. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it seems like the green and the soapstone send conflicting messages or something. I like it better in the bathroom shot. Sorry.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I've seen that ming green color and *loved* it! Wanted it for *my* backsplash, but it doesn't go with my brown zodiaq countertop.

I say go for it!!!

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

You've been drawn to the Ming green color all along, so I think you desire a subtle color for your kitchen. Because it does appear subtle and natural in the photo, I don't think you're putting yourself out on a limb. Lots of accessory colors will go with it. However, this beautiful tile looks great in white too. The tile in both colors has interesting shading, so even with the white it's not boring.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I LOVE it. But would I love it in 5 years? I don't know. I really wanted to go with color in my back splash but decided against it for that very reason. I don't want to be locked in to a certain decorating theme from now on (this is my forever home). I think I'd have to go with the cream or white.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

That shade of green would be lovely on the walls with the whiter shade tile on the backspash - use your mosaic sample to pick out your favorite shade, and then have paint mixed to match. Tired of it in a year? Paint it orange! LOL

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

The green!!!
    It's a very calm, soft green. Very neutral in itself. In fact, I am going to seriously keep this in mind for my master bath remodel. It's just gorgeous.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

BeeYOOTifulllll!!! I don't know which I like better, for me, I would go with the white ones, but the green is gorgeous! We had green counters in our last house and loved them. However, I love the white because you can change the accent colors of your kitchen much easier.

OTOH, the green will be something distinct that not any other house you go to will likely have...that is a plus for me!

Whichever way you go, I think it will be simply gorgeous!

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

Love the skinny tiles! How adventurous are you? I really like the green, but the cream is definitely the "safe" choice. Don't worry too much about your decision, because either one would look awesome! As others have mentioned, if you tire of the green quickly, you can always change the backsplash. Go for the one that you truly "Feel"...

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I have 1960's seafoam green tile, sink and toilet in my master bath. I cannot STAND it. What were they thinking when they put that stuff in?

But that ming green is really amazing. I think it'd be hard to get sick of that or have it be dated; it looks like part of nature. How could you get sick of a beautiful mountain, a babbling brook, or a quiet forest?

• redroze
    15 years ago

Ooo...that's a tough choice. The green and white both look lovely. I LOVE the elongated shape. Our tiles are 2x8 and the 2x12 looks just divine.

I would go white but I'm a bit of a purist! The green says signature, do it if you really really love it, otherwise you may get tired of it.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going for the adventure!!! I'm going to go with the ming green. My dear sister reminded me that we've done about a dozen backsplashes between us and if and when I get tired of my babbling brook of a backsplash, we will have a great time replacing it in five or ten years!

Anita

• jennabanenna
    15 years ago

I'm glad I mentioned the ebay thing, you found it already but at least we helped Iris.
    Good luck, they are a beautiful choice.
    Pics when you're done!!

• matdrew
    15 years ago

I was looking at these same tiles on ebay. I like them too

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

White would be very stark in my opinion. The green adds the necessary amount of "coolness" to the extreme warmth of the other elements. A great balance.