Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-stainless steel sink strainer/drain opening options?

Posted by smiles33 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 0:12

Hello,

We have very hard water in our area and the stainless steel sinks we are replacing are permanently stained as a result. Thus, DH wants me to find porcelain sinks with non-metal sink strainer/drain openings. I don't know what they're called but it's the portion that covers the drain hole at the bottom of your sink and usually includes a lift-out strainer. A quick search of the forums brought up mostly threads about garbage disposals.

What are the non-metal options? Are there porcelain/ceramic drain openings?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-stainless steel sink strainer/drain opening options?

There are lots of colors and materials available from numerous manufacturers. Here's mocha porcelain, from Elkay:

Here's some copper ones to match a manufacturer's sinks

The main thing to be careful with is that you specify whether you are using a disposer or not - the flange will be shaped differently.

o

Wow, thanks so much for the helpful post! Does this mean I can order almost any kind of sink and just order the porcelain ones separately? These are going into a bar sink so we have no need for a disposal.

And I did identify it by the right name? Thank you again.

o

Just thought I'd update my own thread in case others find it through the search engine to note that I found Kohler Duostrainer comes in white/black/other non-metallic finishes. Found a great deal on wayfair so I'm paying about $44 (with free shipping) for the sink strainer and tailpiece (basket sold separately but these are for toothbrushing sinks in a dental office so no need for the basket).

Hooray!

o

Great and keep smiling!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here