Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amrtin

Panel Ready Fridges

AMrtin
9 years ago

I'm in the midst of putting in a one-wall kitchen (straight line kitchen) with a long dining table running alongside it. I'd like the appliances in the kitchen to be unobtrusive. The budget won't allow for a built-in fridge however, I'm worried a panel ready fridge won't be as seamless as I'd like.

Has anyone installed a panel ready fridge and been happy with how hidden it looks?

Comments (12)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

A lot will depend upon the cabinet depth.

• turkeychops
    9 years ago

Bosch make a panel ready counter depth French door Refridgerator. Although not cheap it looks a lot cheaper than subzero etc. I am considering it for my new kitchen - although I would love to know if any GW's have it as I have found very few reviews....

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

A paneled fridge looks like an old dame who's skintone has changed, but who hasn't changed her makup in years. She consequently has that obvious ''end of makeup'' line at the jaw where the makeup ends and the naked skin begins.

An honest stainless fridge looks so much better than a poorly made up not quite integrated fridge.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

While the predominant panel installations that I have done for the 4 custom cabinet shops I install for, have that general appearance, there have been a few, that if you did not know better, you would have thought that the fridge was in another room.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

There is a HUGE difference between panel ready and fully integrated. If you want the ''where is the fridge?'' effect, you've got to spring for fully integrated.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

To me panel ready was a great alternative to a giant slab of SS in my kitchen. I have a SZ but not fully integrated, you can tell it's a fridge but the panel matches cabinets on the wall it's on and looks far better than a wall of SS. There's a definite difference between panel ready and integrated, I personally don't feel panel ready fridges are trying to hide what they are they just want to flow w/the kitchen better. I think mine looks great.

• eam44
    9 years ago

I have a subzero that will eventually be fully integrated - at the moment it is naked. I love the SZ and highly recommend it. Mine is a 36" with a bottom freezer.

Just so you know, I'm pretty sure I'm right about this, any SZ no matter how old can be installed to be fully integrated as long as you have the needed clearance around the fridge. This leaves you free to buy a used one or a floor model if budget requires it.

Good luck!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think this is one of those questions on which opinions will go 50/50. For me, if the fridge is not built-in, I'd prefer stainless over paneling because the paneled fridge that sticks out from the surrounding cabinetry always looks to me like its been pulled out and you forgot to push it back in.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Doesn't get any clearer than that hollysprings! Great comparisons....clear as day! Love it! :)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"you've got to spring for fully integrated."

Which amounts to a "sales gimmick", when it simply is the method in which the doors are hinged and/or the panels are attached.

Shopping, shopping, shopping, is doing your homework.

• Granite_Man
    9 years ago

That fully integrated Sub Z with the meat locker handles looks worse than the not quite integrated in my opinion.