Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tall are your 9 foot ceilings?

Posted by honu3421 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 0:04

Okay, this is not a trick question! : ) The recent discussion on light rails and cab height above countertop got me to thinking in micro-inches. Oh yeah, not to mention 3mm vs 2mm counter tops. So I decided to change my status from lurker to poster (one post about a year ago) and ask my friends at GW my burning question. (arch is conveniently out of country) So here goes.

This is a new build. Our ceiling height will be 9 feet. The drawings that went to the structural last week clearly indicate 8 feet 11.25 inches. So that's 107.25, right? And I had been figuring 108 inches when planning for kitchen cabinets. Is this normal - will a 9' ceiling measure out 3/4" shorter?

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

Am I over thinking this or do I need tell my architect to go back to 108"? We are still under the max height limit by about 6" so the extra 3/4" in height will not be a permitting problem.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

A worried Honu.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tall are your 9 foot ceilings?

they're allowing for floor and ceiling space?

o

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

I don't believe there is any such thing as "9' drywall." It is 4x8 or 4x12. You generally lay it horizontally anyway (unless there is a good reason to do it otherwise). So, naively you would have 4'+4'+11.25" sections; in reality, you will probably have something like 2.5'+4'+2.5' sections.

In short, YES, you are overthinking this. Insist on 108" ceilings if the extra height is important to you, but 107.25" is a perfectly valid ceiling height.

o

Wow! Thank you for answering this dumb question. It was so good to get up this morning and see your responses.

@Desert Steph: Yes, you are right. I was looking at finished floor to finished ceiling. So the 3/4" must be the allowance for ceiling drywall.

@Angie: Thanks for the clarification on the drywall sizes. The extra 3/4" isn't a deal breaker for me, but my current home has 10' ceilings so I am real sensitive about going lower. Though I know I will get used to it.

Thank you both! Honu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here