Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you ever seen a marble rangehood?

Posted by firsthouse_mp (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 0:02

I am looking at the option to wrap my 48" range hood in slabs of marble. However, the slab would be 4feet x 11feet tall. That's a lot of weight to be resting on its edge. I have seen one range hood by a designer named Nicole Hollis where she did wrap the hood in marble but it was only 3-4ft tall, not 11 feet.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this, will you point me to a link or post a picture?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fb/a2/9c/fba29c56708812a7bf2ee40f93ce04a0.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Range Hood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you ever seen a marble rangehood?

You would need a LOT of steel tied into extra support in the foundation to be able to support 2000 pounds. You'd have to have at least a lip of some angle iron painted to match to be exposed.

A better alternative would be the new large format ceramic tile that mimics stone slabs and comes in 5x10 sizes. Or laminate that comes in those sizes. It would still be heavy enough, but it might not kill you if it cracked and came sliding down.

Also look at the scale of what you're thinking of here. You couldn't have any other upper cabinets in the room. It would completely dominate the whole space, and all of the other elements would need to be carefully chosen to be subservient.

o

Thanks Hollysprings. Yes, I am carefully considering this all. I don't have any uppers in the room right now, and the house is fairly modern, so the clean lines could work. But, as you mentioned, the sheer weight of the thing makes the engineering of it complicated. I wonder if I have never seen it done because it's just too risky?

Just another one of my crazy design ideas.....

o

How about Kerlite 3.5 mm porcelain tile, which comes in large (as in 39"x118") sheets?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble look Kerlite

o

Saw this while looking for textured glass and remembered the question! Hope it isn't too late to help.

o

What About Fiandre extra large format porcelain tiles?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiandre

o

That would be the place for some really good faux painting, or laminate marble-look material as sheathing ... because even the ceramics are going to need serious engineering to support their weight.

You can get excellent copies of slab marble from Formica and Wilsonart -

o

Thanks kksmama....it's great that you saw this. Have still been investigating it and I think between my structural engineer, contractor and fabricator, they have it worked out, so I am seriously considering doing it.

If you ever see anything more like it, let me know!

o

I admit to wanting you to do it so I could see the photos. It would be really amazing.

If you have some public buildings near by - like an old city hall, train station or court house - those kinds of buildings almost always have large sheets of marble, marble paneling. Just saying you might want to spend a little time looking around at one to see if you're good visually with big pieces of marble.

o

Wow, it's a good thing (for my pocketbook) that I didn't know about Fiandre before choosing my backsplash tile. :-)

ineffablespace, thanks for posting the Fiandre info. Their Web site has the most gorgeous photos.

--Lee

o

ineffable: have you seen this Fiandre in real life? I noticed that there's only a few places in the USA that carry this. I am going to go see this next week when I am near SanFran in that area, just out of curiosity. Their website is indeed gorgeous!

bmorepanic: I was thinking about the large slabs when I was first pondering this. I was in SF and saw an old bank and noticed how large of space the flooring was and it was all huge marble tiles. Then I searched commercial bldgs with large slab walls (found mostly travertine and other material, but some marble). My BIL is from Rome and said that many many places he grew up around had tons of marble that he knew were over 100 yrs old, especially the churches--whole walls made of marble.

Here is my quick Sketch-Up version of it. I think we have the mechanical requirements now understood, so it's just a matter of my designing it around those parameters. The pic does not show the rivets that I will need (3 at the least) along each side that will hold the marble to the frame. I am considering actually covering the rivets with marble buttons or making the rivets chrome.

o

that kerlite looks like it would work really well also. I'd really like to see if these large format tiles could used for coutnertops, but that would be another thread.

o

I have seen a full slab of Fiandre's Calacatta Maximum in real life, I even have a 45 x 90 cm sample standing on my desk, and it looks gorgeous.

The Calacatta Extreme does not look as nice in my opinion.

o

The Fiandre looks gorgeous in the photo above. A large format porcelain tile like Fiandre or Kerlite could work well for this application. I saw a vanity display in a slab showroom where they used tiles like this to create a vanity top with a 4" thick mitered edge and an integrated sink. It looks like it was all carved out of a large slab of stone.

I don't think I would attempt to mix a porcelain "marble" hood with real marble counters. I would either use the porcelain for the counters too, or use something completely different for the counters, like grey or solid white quartz.

I love this hood from Houzz. It is a different material, but similar scale to what you are considering.

o

I posted photos of the porcelain counter and sink on this other thread on May 16th. (My firm blocks access to Photobucket, so I can't post them again in this thread.)

Here is a link that might be useful: porcelain tile counter & sink

o

Kay: That's a a wonderfully similar example--love it! Thank you so much for posting this. That's what I love about GW--so much great info sharing.

o

Did the layout with my slabs this morning....here it is, the front of the marble rangehood. 11' tall and 48" wide.....will sit on a steel frame reinforced into the wall. Crossing my fingers it will all work out well. Because of the need to secure it to the frame, there will be bolts and so we are trying to figure out whether it will have a shaker-like stiles to cover the screws or whether I will make it look like it has rivets.

photo Rangehood_zps38e53751.jpg

o

Here is a beautiful example of a much smaller marble rangehood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example

o

Interesting to see your original layout again. Your progress post of windows, cabinets, buffet & bathrooms has definitely exceeded the high expectations I have of your remodeling projects. Your 1st kitchen is one of my all time favorites. This one-wow!
Please, keep us updated with pics. Gorgeous marble.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:36

o

firsthouse_mp - love the slab and see you chose movement this time. I hesitate to broach the subject of range hood size vs. cooktop size but it did cross my mind that the capture might not be large enough with this configuration. (Your sketch-up hood height seems to be quite tall).

o

firsthouse_mp:

There is no need for exposed fasteners on your slab. Have your fabricator imbed bolts with epoxy, the same way he probably does sinks.

o

Thanks Trebuchet! This tip might solve my design problem with the rivets. I will ask my fabricator who is worried about that slab staying affixed to the steel frame.

This has been an interesting "meeting of the minds" between my fabricator, the structural engineers, the frame fabricator, my contractor and myself. Each of us bringing our own set of worries to the table. I love that GW now has some expertise to lend to this idea.

OldBat: I used the calculation of 17 x 18 x 14 (room dimensions) and divided by 4 to get the min cfm. This calc comes to 1,071cfm. We are using a 1200 cfm insert, so hopefully I will be OK. I have a 48" range.

o

So, here is what I am hoping to achieve:
 photo hoodmarble_zpsaf46895c.jpg

Here is where we are currently:
 photo DSC01461_zpse2d07775.jpg

The mock-up using plywood instead of the real thing so that I could envision it:
 photo DSC01296_zpsb49db8a8.jpg

The slab that will become the front:
 photo Rangehood_zps38e53751.jpg

Only 48 hrs from now, they will put on two sides, then put in the liner and then finally adhere the 3rd side....

o

The excitement is building. Lots of pics please.

o

Please take pictures of how the workers hoist the slab up there and how it's secured to keep from falling back down! It's one thing for a buncha guys to bring in a slab and tilt it up onto an island, but this is a slab hoisted up into thin air! I'm curious to see how they do it. Obviously the technology exists as many skyscrapers are stone-clad, but I'm curious how they will do this inside a residence.

I could NEVER have this hood. Every time I'd cook I'd wonder if it would fall down and crush me!

o

How exciting! Can't wait to see pictures.

o

Wow! Cannot wait to see the progress!!

o

Firsthouse cant wait to see this up and functional.
I lost out to DH when I wanted a similar rangehood only in soapstone. So am VERY excited for you. It will be fabulous!
Please take lots of pics (video?) of the installation. We all want to see the nuts and bolts of it so to speak ;)

o

firsthouse_mp,
First Canadian Place Tower in downtown Toronto is clad in Italian marble with careful attention to grain matching throughout, inside and outside. There are no bolts exposed. It is a 73 story shopping/parking/office tower built in the mid 70's.

If you love marble, you need to find pictures.

There must be a way to do this with no exposed fasteners...

o

The steel cage is up:
 photo DSC01462_zps7ca9c753.jpg

The sides go up:
 photo 007_zps1bcc0c51.jpg
 photo 006_zps6f477516.jpg

The templating of the front:
 photo 019_zps011ad265.jpg

The mechanics of how it is up there: epoxy, bolts, sitting on a steel ledge, wedged in at top with wood:
 photo 022_zps68333dac.jpg
 photo 021_zpsbb70d713.jpg

Inside the cage:
 photo 023_zpsb3b9d402.jpg

The front is up:
 photo 031_zps43c317b4.jpg
 photo 032_zps4f9a6cd0.jpg
 photo 035_zps508adb53.jpg

Today they will install the liner for the vent-a-hood, then tomorrow the last side will be placed on it. We are looking at how to "cap" the rivets so that the bolt side is covered. Originally thought we might cover them with stiles so that it looked "Shaker style", but I am liking the clean look.

This was a huge cooperative project between my structural engineer, my architect, my contractors, my fabricator and myself. My vision for a marble hood all coming together with a lot of collaboration, sweat but so far no tears!

o

OMG!! I have never seen anything like that before. It is an amazing feat.

Do you have any other pics of the rest of the house? If I remember correctly you had marble everywhere in the bathroom as well. I was trying to find pics last night to show my husband but for some reason I couldn't find the thread.

o

It's going to be fantastic! Can't wait to see more. And that island... wow, it's huge. I'd love that much space. Please keep posting pictures!

o

Stunning!!!! I bet you are glad you made it happen and didn't give up. The floors look awesome too, I might have to come by and pick up a scrap....

o

Wow, I feel so much better, now. I wonder why they have the bolts sticking so far out, and only on the one side?

Did those guys just manually lift that piece up there?

o

What a visionary you are! I couldn't imagine it until I saw it. Bet we'll see this again and again through the years in various magazines and online. How happy you must be, congrats!

o

Amazing!

o

Thanks everyone....I feel like it was worth it to push the team. My contractors have been "pushed" on so many of these challenging things, but they always seem to make it happen. My contractors are beyond awesome!

I gave up a number of budgeted things for this hood and am so glad it seems like my risk has been successful. I deleted refrigerator drawers and a small bev fridge to pay for this! But, in the end I don't think it's going to prove to be any more $ than the ridiculous price I paid for a Modernaire custom hood from my other house.

texasgem: Here are updated photos of the master bath....my fabricators had quite a time executing on this design too. I think I drove them batty with my mitered edges and matching slabs. In the end, only one seam just wouldn't work and I had to "give" on it, knowing that we both tried to make all the seams perfect, but it can't always work exactly with limited materials and non-consecutive slabs.
 photo 010_zps66346f8c.jpg
 photo 009_zps66f249c4.jpg
 photo 013_zps5926e2d5.jpg

o

Wow! It looks amazing! I can't wait to see it when everything is finished.

o

Everything is beyond stunning. I love the bathroom floor too.

o

Stunning!

o

That marble hood is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. You are so strong. I tend to let contractors talk me out of things. Not anymore!

o

Your vision and hood are stunning. I also appreciate the detail on how it was engineered/installed - fascinating!! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!

o

wow! It looks amazing. What a statement piece!

o

Amazing is right! I commend your courage to even attempt this, stunning! Thanks for posting the photos.

o

...picking jaw up off the floor! Love the hood and bathroom!

o

This is breath taking, firsthouse. Above & beyond anything I've seen. Thanks for sharing the process with us. I'm sure we'll be seeing more stone hoods in the near future. Wishing one would be mine!

I look forward to seeing how it's finished, as well as, the whole kitchen. And well, the rest of your gorgeous house.

o

Today the Vent-a-Hood went in. They left this third side open so that they had room to work. The final panel of marble got put in in the afternoon but I didn't get a chance to photograph it yet.

photo 001_zpsa04ea169.jpg

Here is a close up of the rivets. I had originally thought to completely covering these, but am now thinking of making them look "industrial" and putting half-dome stainless covers over these. What do you think? Should I do stiles or rivets?

photo 030_zps94e26c79.jpg

o

I like the rivets with just the domes. I think covering them with stiles would disturb the clean lines of the stone that everyone has worked so hard to achieve.

o

Thank you so much for all of the pictures. I so want to do this but since my DH and I are DIY; it's not happening. Can you send your crew to Pennsylvania?
Your house is fantastic. That Bath! Did you design all this? My hat is off to you lady :)

o

I also like just the rivets with domes. From a distance you don't even see the rivets, but stiles you would definitely see. It would be tough to match the veining of the marble and I just don't think it would look as sleek.

If you're worried about seeing the domes over the rivets, I think it would be pretty easy to paint them white (before installing) and then paint on some light veining after installing to blend in with the marble. But honestly, I don't think others will notice them.

o

I'm leaning towards stiles to cover them. Just a clean border strip at the bottom. I assume they can make the strip lay flush against hood.

I think it depends on other elements of your final kitchen if you want to see the rivets or not.

o

Either way you go, it's still going to be stunning. Since you're the very talented designer, I know you'll come up w/ the perfect decision. I'd come to you for advice on which way to go, so for what it's worth w/ my arm chair, emulating designer advice :), w/out the stiles, I think it keeps it a very clean modern(?) contemporary look. Adding the stiles will soften it up & give it a little more warmth. I'd love to see what it would look like w/ the stiles. I'm a very visual person!

Again, whatever decision you make, will be the perfect one for your kitchen. I can't wait to see the finale pictures.

o

Domes over rivets please :) . I wouldn't clutter your beautiful clean design with stiles.

The space itself is absolutely stunning - kudos to the team and you. The hood just makes such a great focal point. Carbonate minerals never looked so good.

The bathroom is fantastic too. Love the tile floor.

o

Here is a SketchUp of the stiles. This is what I had thought would cover the rivets. Now that the rivets are in, it's very hard to see them. I am definitely looking at covering them with domed caps (see link below).

photo ventwstiles_zpscdf037a7.jpg

You can see the screws below. There are four on each side, including the side panels:
 photo 030_zps94e26c79.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Screw covers

o

Of what would the stiles be made? I think the screw covers will become invisible, fairly quickly. If not paint, then decoupage them. (Take remnant of slab to Staples, photocopy, playing with different color options).

P.S. - your master bath? The shot you posted has to be the 'money' shot. It made my head hurt trying to figure out all the decisions which you must have made. If you were closer (and if I could afford you!!), your phone would be a-ringing.

o

oldbat:
You would not need my help! You have excellent taste and your kitchen is a testament to your design sense. I tell my clients to trust their gut (and I give little tips and helpful guidance along the way!). You are a great example of someone who has it all in their head, but needs to be reassured :)

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone. As with all of my homes, I put a great deal of heart, soul and time into these designs and I am lucky enough to have great partners along the way. My contractors, my architect and dozens of workers ALWAYS indulge my nickpicking, my crazy ideas, and my "have to have it this way" in order for things to look the way that my head dreams things up. I may have pushed my marble/stone fabricator to the very edge with this hood and the master bath! It tested the entire team and their talent to make these two things happen.

I can't wait to have many more fun pics to share to inspire you, as so many of you have inspired me. One of the most inspiring websites I have is this one of our local builders. Their homes are spectacular:
http://www.pacificpeninsula.com/

The stiles would be made of marble too, with an effort to try and match the graining. But I am VERY much leaning toward no stiles. I really want to tear away the paper on the island and the counters to get a picture and see the whole room, but the painters are there and are trying to keep things covered for the next week. I think once everything is cleaned up and uncovered, the clean lines and the marble impact will shine through. I hope "oldbat" is right and I have a "money shot" somewhere in this house because a year from now when we hope to sell, I will want it all to be worth it :) My middle child will be heading to cellege and lord knows we all need a moneyshot to send our kids to college!!!!

o

M, no, no stiles! I won't let you. I mean, I know it's your house, but I don't like them. (Quote from Mary McDonald, Million dollar decorator) But really, no. My suggestions
1. Leave as is for the industrial look
2. Faux paint the top ones, put a narrow (4"-6" or ? can't tell how high the screw is from the bottom) strip of stainless or black painted stainless around the bottom of the hood. The stainless will tie in with your range or the black will tie into your windows. I love the floor in the master bath, it's neutral enough, but mimics the grain in the vanity. Can't wait to come through again. I'm in the middle of three kitchen remodels, none of which will see any marble or high end finishes. Here's hoping for a college scholarship so you can stay in the house a little longer.

o

Final side went up:
 photo 002_zps0f3f9ed6.jpg
 photo 0032_zps2643627f.jpg

They will be bolting that final side and then snipping the ends, then I need to figure out how I will cover these. Looking at a few options, but for now, I do love that clean look. A stainless metal piece will cover the underside rust colored frame, which should also be installed this week. Can't wait to see the backsplash too!

Somehow we are going to be all done in 5 weeks. I think a lot is going to happen between today and June 27th!

o

Now that I've seen the stile mockup, I dont like it either. I thought it would just be one band across the bottom, not an entire frame looking thing.

So impressive cant wait to see the finished product!

o

Ok, now I see all the bolts, I thought they were just at the top and bottom. I'm kinda loving the industrial bolts. At least you can live with it for while, right?

o

Yummy hood! I don't think the bolts need covering unless it's a practical issue - I like the industrial vibe.

o

Very impressive. Love the movement of the marble. Keep the pictures coming, please.

o

WOW! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!

I loved your previous kitchen and I can tell I'm going to love this one, too.

PS What's the paint color for your island?

o

Wow. Absolutely amazing.

o

Wow! When I first started reading this thread, I couldn't envision what you were trying to do... but the results... SO stunning!!!

o

Lisa_a: The island color is a "stock" color from my cabinet company. It comes closest to Cape May Cobblestone by Benjamin Moore.

Appliances arriving this week and being installed next week hopefully. My newest challenge will take another few weeks to reveal.....a "hidden pantry". See that doorway next to the refrigerator? I am going to do a fake cabinet front that will act as one door, and it will swing in and my pantry will be behind that. Kinda like this:

photo swartz-blog_garmanhouse_magicpantry5_zpsddeca6c7.jpg
 photo KITCHEN-7_zpsa2f9dd76.jpg

The cabinet door will look exactly like my refrige panel except the panel will be one piece. Hopefully it will look like there are two cabinets on that wall and actually there will be a refrigerator and a pantry :)

o

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

o

M, that secret pantry door is going to be awesome!!
I changed my mind, I think the screw cover would be a good compromise between modern and industrial. Looking forward to another visit, hint, hint......

o

Gigi: come over any time! They are painting right now (so the fumes are rather noxious), but seriously, you can drop by any time and take a run through. Otherwise, call me and I'll come over and meet you :)

o

Looking wonderful! It is fun to watch this masterpiece come together :) though understand all of the work and planning it took

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here