Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Have you ever seen a marble rangehood?

firstmmo
10 years ago

I am looking at the option to wrap my 48" range hood in slabs of marble. However, the slab would be 4feet x 11feet tall. That's a lot of weight to be resting on its edge. I have seen one range hood by a designer named Nicole Hollis where she did wrap the hood in marble but it was only 3-4ft tall, not 11 feet.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this, will you point me to a link or post a picture?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/fb/a2/9c/fba29c56708812a7bf2ee40f93ce04a0.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (86)

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Wow! It looks amazing! I can't wait to see it when everything is finished.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Everything is beyond stunning. I love the bathroom floor too.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Stunning!

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

That marble hood is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. You are so strong. I tend to let contractors talk me out of things. Not anymore!

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Your vision and hood are stunning. I also appreciate the detail on how it was engineered/installed - fascinating!! Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

wow! It looks amazing. What a statement piece!

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Amazing is right! I commend your courage to even attempt this, stunning! Thanks for posting the photos.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

...picking jaw up off the floor! Love the hood and bathroom!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

This is breath taking, firsthouse. Above & beyond anything I've seen. Thanks for sharing the process with us. I'm sure we'll be seeing more stone hoods in the near future. Wishing one would be mine!

I look forward to seeing how it's finished, as well as, the whole kitchen. And well, the rest of your gorgeous house.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today the Vent-a-Hood went in. They left this third side open so that they had room to work. The final panel of marble got put in in the afternoon but I didn't get a chance to photograph it yet.

Here is a close up of the rivets. I had originally thought to completely covering these, but am now thinking of making them look "industrial" and putting half-dome stainless covers over these. What do you think? Should I do stiles or rivets?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I like the rivets with just the domes. I think covering them with stiles would disturb the clean lines of the stone that everyone has worked so hard to achieve.

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the pictures. I so want to do this but since my DH and I are DIY; it's not happening. Can you send your crew to Pennsylvania?
    Your house is fantastic. That Bath! Did you design all this? My hat is off to you lady :)

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I also like just the rivets with domes. From a distance you don't even see the rivets, but stiles you would definitely see. It would be tough to match the veining of the marble and I just don't think it would look as sleek.

If you're worried about seeing the domes over the rivets, I think it would be pretty easy to paint them white (before installing) and then paint on some light veining after installing to blend in with the marble. But honestly, I don't think others will notice them.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I'm leaning towards stiles to cover them. Just a clean border strip at the bottom. I assume they can make the strip lay flush against hood.

I think it depends on other elements of your final kitchen if you want to see the rivets or not.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Either way you go, it's still going to be stunning. Since you're the very talented designer, I know you'll come up w/ the perfect decision. I'd come to you for advice on which way to go, so for what it's worth w/ my arm chair, emulating designer advice :), w/out the stiles, I think it keeps it a very clean modern(?) contemporary look. Adding the stiles will soften it up & give it a little more warmth. I'd love to see what it would look like w/ the stiles. I'm a very visual person!

Again, whatever decision you make, will be the perfect one for your kitchen. I can't wait to see the finale pictures.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Domes over rivets please :) . I wouldn't clutter your beautiful clean design with stiles.

The space itself is absolutely stunning - kudos to the team and you. The hood just makes such a great focal point. Carbonate minerals never looked so good.

The bathroom is fantastic too. Love the tile floor.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a SketchUp of the stiles. This is what I had thought would cover the rivets. Now that the rivets are in, it's very hard to see them. I am definitely looking at covering them with domed caps (see link below).

You can see the screws below. There are four on each side, including the side panels:

Here is a link that might be useful: Screw covers

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Of what would the stiles be made? I think the screw covers will become invisible, fairly quickly. If not paint, then decoupage them. (Take remnant of slab to Staples, photocopy, playing with different color options).

P.S. - your master bath? The shot you posted has to be the 'money' shot. It made my head hurt trying to figure out all the decisions which you must have made. If you were closer (and if I could afford you!!), your phone would be a-ringing.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat:
    You would not need my help! You have excellent taste and your kitchen is a testament to your design sense. I tell my clients to trust their gut (and I give little tips and helpful guidance along the way!). You are a great example of someone who has it all in their head, but needs to be reassured :)

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone. As with all of my homes, I put a great deal of heart, soul and time into these designs and I am lucky enough to have great partners along the way. My contractors, my architect and dozens of workers ALWAYS indulge my nickpicking, my crazy ideas, and my "have to have it this way" in order for things to look the way that my head dreams things up. I may have pushed my marble/stone fabricator to the very edge with this hood and the master bath! It tested the entire team and their talent to make these two things happen.

I can't wait to have many more fun pics to share to inspire you, as so many of you have inspired me. One of the most inspiring websites I have is this one of our local builders. Their homes are spectacular:
    http://www.pacificpeninsula.com/

The stiles would be made of marble too, with an effort to try and match the graining. But I am VERY much leaning toward no stiles. I really want to tear away the paper on the island and the counters to get a picture and see the whole room, but the painters are there and are trying to keep things covered for the next week. I think once everything is cleaned up and uncovered, the clean lines and the marble impact will shine through. I hope "oldbat" is right and I have a "money shot" somewhere in this house because a year from now when we hope to sell, I will want it all to be worth it :) My middle child will be heading to cellege and lord knows we all need a moneyshot to send our kids to college!!!!

• Gigi_4321
    9 years ago

M, no, no stiles! I won't let you. I mean, I know it's your house, but I don't like them. (Quote from Mary McDonald, Million dollar decorator) But really, no. My suggestions
    1. Leave as is for the industrial look
    2. Faux paint the top ones, put a narrow (4"-6" or ? can't tell how high the screw is from the bottom) strip of stainless or black painted stainless around the bottom of the hood. The stainless will tie in with your range or the black will tie into your windows. I love the floor in the master bath, it's neutral enough, but mimics the grain in the vanity. Can't wait to come through again. I'm in the middle of three kitchen remodels, none of which will see any marble or high end finishes. Here's hoping for a college scholarship so you can stay in the house a little longer.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final side went up:

They will be bolting that final side and then snipping the ends, then I need to figure out how I will cover these. Looking at a few options, but for now, I do love that clean look. A stainless metal piece will cover the underside rust colored frame, which should also be installed this week. Can't wait to see the backsplash too!

Somehow we are going to be all done in 5 weeks. I think a lot is going to happen between today and June 27th!

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Now that I've seen the stile mockup, I dont like it either. I thought it would just be one band across the bottom, not an entire frame looking thing.

So impressive cant wait to see the finished product!

• Gigi_4321
    9 years ago

Ok, now I see all the bolts, I thought they were just at the top and bottom. I'm kinda loving the industrial bolts. At least you can live with it for while, right?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Yummy hood! I don't think the bolts need covering unless it's a practical issue - I like the industrial vibe.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Very impressive. Love the movement of the marble. Keep the pictures coming, please.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

WOW! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!

I loved your previous kitchen and I can tell I'm going to love this one, too.

PS What's the paint color for your island?

• chiefy
    9 years ago

Wow. Absolutely amazing.

• LizPel12
    9 years ago

Wow! When I first started reading this thread, I couldn't envision what you were trying to do... but the results... SO stunning!!!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa_a: The island color is a "stock" color from my cabinet company. It comes closest to Cape May Cobblestone by Benjamin Moore.

Appliances arriving this week and being installed next week hopefully. My newest challenge will take another few weeks to reveal.....a "hidden pantry". See that doorway next to the refrigerator? I am going to do a fake cabinet front that will act as one door, and it will swing in and my pantry will be behind that. Kinda like this:

The cabinet door will look exactly like my refrige panel except the panel will be one piece. Hopefully it will look like there are two cabinets on that wall and actually there will be a refrigerator and a pantry :)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

• Gigi_4321
    9 years ago

M, that secret pantry door is going to be awesome!!
    I changed my mind, I think the screw cover would be a good compromise between modern and industrial. Looking forward to another visit, hint, hint......

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gigi: come over any time! They are painting right now (so the fumes are rather noxious), but seriously, you can drop by any time and take a run through. Otherwise, call me and I'll come over and meet you :)

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

Looking wonderful! It is fun to watch this masterpiece come together :) though understand all of the work and planning it took

• baileybug28
    9 years ago

Love this design. I'm building a new home and I'm attempting to do this but not really sure how to do it? Can you give me some advice?

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bailey: Are you talking about the hidden pantry or the marble rangehood?

• gardenamy
    9 years ago

Firsthouse - Did you ever do a reveal? Did I miss it?

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amy: No I haven't done one but I promise it will be soon! I had a few months that "went down the rabbit hole" when my mom had a stroke and moved in with us...me becoming her caregiver while she got better. I am just about ready, even if I have no exterior landscaping!

• gardenamy
    9 years ago

Can't wait! And you can post exterior landscaping later! Hope your Mom is recovering and doing well!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

No I haven't done one (yet)...
    That;s good to know. I was so sure I had missed it, scoured google with all kinds of search terms with firstmmo kitchen reveal. I did see your first lovely kitchen.Waiting...waiting...

• wongberneysonoma
    9 years ago

firstmmo: sorry, but this is the only way I know how to reach you! I saw a picture from 2009 of your paper towel in-cabinet-nook holder. It looked like a little circular screw with a silver dowel. Can you please advise where you bought that dowel/screw set? Thanks!!!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Berney: That's just a regular shower curtain holder with a place to insert a pole and then a cup to hold the other end. Like this but in stainless. Contractor cut the rod to fit inside paper towel holder.

• Aliza Martini
    7 months ago

I’m trying to find out how to install a natural stone range hood cover such as quartzite. Since it’s a heavy stone, does anyone know how it can be installed?

• M Miller
    7 months ago

@Aliza Martini to answer your question I suggest you read this thread you've posted on.

• Aliza Martini
    7 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion M Miller. Unfortunately the post doesn’t give exact details. I asked a stone fabricator who told me the slabs are too heavy to be used as a range hood cover. I know people have done it but not sure where to start.

• PRO
    Quicklok Cabinets
    7 months ago

Start with about 30K for the engineering, custom steel, and stone fabricating, all working under a great GC and Kitchen Designer. You need a well paid and experienced professional brain trust collaborating on this.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    7 months ago

@alizamartini It was done, it did take a team of people who believed in my vision and who I trusted implicitly to egineer this. It started inside the ceiling with reinforcements attached to the steel beam, a steel cage, and a team of engineers with a very trusted slab fabricator too. Look at the pics where they opened up the ceiling. Start with your architect and your structural engineer.

• Aliza Martini
    7 months ago

That’s great advice. I will start by reaching out to my architect.

• bry911
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

You probably don’t need a steel frame. It should only be required if there is a concern about the load on the joist, so maybe if the hood sets under a bathtub or something.

Quartzite is just not that heavy, it only seems heavy because it is rather thin. 2cm thick quartzite is about 12 lbs per square foot, which is really nothing significant. A wall cabinet with a typical load of plates and bowls will easily be more than that much and these days that is 1/2” plywood held to the wall with two to four #10 cabinet screws. A 36” stone hood in a room with 9’ ceilings is going to be about 312 lbs of stone… The shear rating of one 3/8” bolt is more than double that and I assure you, more than one will be used.

The only real complication is the attachment of the frame to the joists or studs and that is going to require bolts in shear.

• Aliza Martini
    7 months ago

One of the stone fabricators suggested to use a matching porcelain which can easily be grouted to a plywood mold.

• Augusto Novato
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@firstmmo we are going through a similar project, would you mind sharing which range hood you chose? we can't find one that can be detached only from below. Any temperatures vibrations concerns? thanks