Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for updating all cabinetry but keeping white boxes

Posted by Mardo (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 0:00

I need to update my 15 year old home to prepare for selling as we're building our dream home. Kitchen and all bathrooms are white melamine cabinets and white boxes, end panels, toe kicks, etc. The kitchen needs the biggest facelift but all rooms would look better (as per my area and real estate market) if cabinets were wood finish.. Can I do this and still maintain white boxes and drawers? Most wood cabinets I've seen have birch or wood-look interiors, not white. If you think i can pull this off without it looking cheap reno fix, do i go light, medium or dark fronts with white interiors? What other considerations do I have to consider? I will also have to upgrade to granite or quartz counters too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for updating all cabinetry but keeping white boxes

You'll need "skins" for the cabinet bodies exterior and iron on wood tape for the fronts of the shelves. The "Fancy Front" companies can usually do this. White interiors should be fine if you don't have any glass door cabinets for medium to light cabinet doors.

You should post a picture of your kitchen for suggestions.

o
RE: Advice for updating all cabinetry but keeping white boxes

The custom shop I used pretty much only uses white interiors, no matter what the outside is. They had never upgraded anyone to something different in 8 years before me. Anyway, as long as everything visible from the outside matches, you will be fine. As stated above this will likely mean veneers and tape. But white inside stained cabinets is pretty common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here