Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

My other kitchen

macybaby
12 years ago

Since my kitchen is at 85% complete and holding, probably now until winter hits, I thought I'd share pictures of my other kitchen. I finally got it cleaned up and ready for the harvest.

I have a really nice, deep double bowl sink. Can fit my biggest pots in this baby.

The sprayer is great - lots of power and a super long hose for reaching all the way to the cooktop to double as a pot filler.

Counterspace is limited, and to keep costs down, I went with laminate. To keep things cleaner, the whole thing slopes gently to the sink. Those old kitchen cabinets look pretty good - and I even found a use for my old worn towels. The unit on the wall is an on-demand water heater. It comes in for the winter.

I went with some glass door cabinets too - Ok, so it's actually an old built in display case I picked up cheap from an office remodel. Put in heavier shelves to hold my pots and bowls.

Didn't have to buy any new post for this - just hauled out all my old, non-magnetic ones when I switched to induction.

And this small rolling cart works great as extra counterspace. It works great to hold my mixer when I'm using it for pureeing tomatoes. Also is a good place to set jars for cooling. Paid $5 for the table. The wood thing next to it is the cover for the cooktop.

And the heart of the kitchen, yes, that's a beautiful coil cooktop! When I saw this on clearance at Menards, I just knew I had to have it! Finding the cooktop is what started the whole idea of setting up this summer kitchen.

Though island cooktops aren't real popular, being able to access pots from three sides comes in real handy when you are heating produce on one burner, heating up jars in the canner on a second, and heating water for softening lids on the third. The desk I picked up for free years ago, and it's very heavy and sturdy. We cut it a few feet shorter so it would fit. The lower hieght works perfect too - I can always see into even the biggest pots.

This is the water source - the drain for the sink is a grey water drain - it goes out a few feet behind the building and helps keep the trees back there happy.

And a few more re-used items. Door on the left (old closet door) goes to the chicken coop, door on the right (old bedroom door) goes to the greenhouse. White cabinets use to be in the bathroom. Middle uppers are from the kitchen, and the cabinet on the far left use to be part of the hutch on an old desk.

This shows the cooktop with the cover in place - I only turn on the power to the cooktop and water heater when they are in use.

Here is an outside shot. The door and double crank window are from the house, and the glass for the greenhouse are double glass window sashes from the windows we replaced in another part of the house.

Comments (11)

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is wonderful! I think I'll go check out your "pantry" again.

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

And this is what comes out of there, I am impressed all over again! Hope it's okay I posted this, can you tell I'm a fan?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1018390123745.html

Here is a link that might be useful: macybaby's pantry

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

wow - you really thought things thru for this beauty! and all of the repurposing and recycling - that's awesome.

I really love the slant of the countertop into the sink - great for crumbs and junk. And boy, won't your sprayer be a blessing if a coil catches on fire.

great natural lighting also. you did great!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

This is pretty neat. :o)

• enduring
    12 years ago

This is great, when I saw the first picture I thought it looked like a brooder house but couldn't figure out the insulation at the ceiling. Then I saw more and had to call my husband over to look. We had a great time laughing. He was mightily impressed with the summer kitchen and said you're going to miss it. But, maybe you wont get rid of it when you're done with the house kitchen. You are so industrious it is amazing.

We farm too (my husband does, I'm a city girl and have always worked in town), I see a grain bin in the background.

Here is a picture of an old 6 sided brooder house that is falling apart on our farm. It was re-purposed in the the 60's or 70's to be a play house by my Mother in law. Now it's sitting next to the field behind the machine shed:

There is a kitchen in there; see the wall cabinets on the left:

Love the link to your pantry too. Beautiful.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I'm inspired! I keep worrying that by the time my 15 bushes of tomatoes finally get ripe, we'll need to be tearing out the kitchen. Maybe we could just move the stove to the patio for the canner and rig up a camp kitchen for the prep and washing. Hmm

• macybaby
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Enduring - this will be the third harvest since the summer kitchen got set up. The only way I'd stop using it is if we added a garage on to the house, and I could expand the laundry room and build a processing kitchen there. DH says that's not going to happen.

When I fell in love with induction cooking, I had to come up with something for using the canner. I tried a few things - even now own two propane cookers and a heavy duty 220 hotplate.

This is what the building looked like before we started converting it. It is actually two buildings, we had planned on keeping the left side for storage - original plans were for a coop, greenhouse and rabbit shed. When we moved in, we dumped a whole lot of stuff in that shed. And then kept adding to it.

We built an insulated chicken coop in the back corner.

And then put the greenhouse in the front. In the winter the heat from the greenhouse keeps the hens warm and happy.

After we got the idea to put in the summer kitchen, we ended up converting the other half of the building for the rabbits - that side needed a new floor.

The real fun was when we converted the old pig shed so we had a place to put our fishing boat. Pressure washers are a good thing to have.

BTW- me and my sisters had a play house when we were little, it also had started life as a chicken coop when my grandparents owned the farm.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Nice background story about your summer kitchen. Please post pics of your kitchen in full production when you have time. Good job with that shed too. Thanks.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

LOL! Love the chickens! Really.
    I SO wish I had chickens but am sure my neighbors don't.

Harvest, OMG, ours is coming in from the little garden behind the garage. Working full time and coming home every night to piles of produce I wonder how farmer's wives do it.

I am in awe of you. In fact, you got me to buy a dehydrator. Haven't used it yet though. The wildlife have taken so much this year I've been able to can/freeze everything [I've wrenched from their quick chewing jaws] so far. :(

Your kitchen rocks. It's GW all over. :)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Wow! I've seen a few shots, before, but getting the grand tour of the Summer kitchen is a real treat!!

And re your island cooktop :) the purpose and setting, as you know, makes all the difference. My friend who has more or less the same thing (four electric coil burners on a not much bigger island, though counter height, with a big hood) has a hazard. If he cooked more, I'd be redesigning his kitchen. :) For processing your crops? I think yours is brilliant!

I also see how having the door to the chickens inside shelter is probably a good thing in the Winter, and am charmed by the greenhouse which keeps them warm.

Thank-you for the tour. :)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

do you keep bees? You really should! Although you look like you harvest plenty, but I can tell you that one hive of girls will increase your haul, by a lot! The farmer behind us loved us at first, but then things got a little out of control on his little personal veggie garden!

Get a hive. And the honey isn't too shabby either!

-Bee