Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsnj_gw

Vintage Sink moved or nixed?

magsnj
11 years ago

Hi! I'm completely remodeling my kitchen and I love my vintage sink but working it into my floorplan may be making me insane. I'm wondering, would it be okay to move it approximately a foot to the right so it would be under the right window or would that be awkward? My other option would be to get a rohl apron front sink, which I think are very pretty (but I like my sink better in this house. I understand some answers may be based on total opinion but I welcome this b/c I'd like to know people's thoughts on this sink. At the end of the day, having a cohesive kitchen is more important than any single part of it.

FYI: The countertop will be marble and the cabinets will be white, blue or yellow.

Thank you!!!

Comments (56)

• localeater
    11 years ago

When you say move it a foot to the right, are you saying that you will align the right edge of the right drainboard with the edge of the window molding? Or centering the sink bowl under the right window?
    I actually think either could work, it's all about fooling the eye. You can't just shift it down, you need to create a cohesive design flow around/with it.
    Definitely post the whole current plan with the sink centered and what you are trying to accomplish with the shift, what your concern is about leaving the sink where it is, what you are afraid is lacking... People here are great innovators and will have some thoughts.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Every man who comes into my house tells me to nix the sink and most women tell me to keep it. Not sure what that means exactly but I'd like my kitchen to appeal to both sexes.

MermanMike, I am definitely staying tuned! Can't wait to see the outcome.

Engineer Chic, I can't justify the added expense of moving the window, especially since one of the positives of the sink is it's freeeeee :)

Cavimum, I'm going to have the sink joined at the sides by marble instead of dropping it into marble since it's 25 inches from the wall and it can't really be raised anymore either b/c then I'd be cutting into the window base. I had thought about powdercoating the original stand and trying to have it stand out like the beautiful colored ranges in kitchens but have since decided to nix that idea since I'm worried about the powdercoating place not being able to do it as well as the pop of color taking away from my goal of a timeless kitchen.

LocalEater, I would be centering the drainbowl under the right window, not with the edge of the molding

I'm posting the current floorplan below. I've just decided I'm not going to be knocking down the wall into the dining room. Currently, the plan is the range on the back wall perpendicular to the sink and the fridge on the wall parrallel to the sink (the one separating the dining room. The only thing that I don't like about this plan is that the continuous counterstop is lacking. If I were to shift the sink and center the basin under the right window or nix the sink and get a apron front sink I would be able to put the range to the left of the sink in the corner. I think I would prefer this b/c it would give me continous countertop along the back wall and if I wanted to vent the range to the outside it would be easier near the external wall (not sure if this is true or not. Maybe someone will point out that this isn't possible, I'm not sure (there's a pipe behind the wall there, that's why it's a 45 degree angle)?

Again, any thoughts, positiver or negative, are greatly appreciated.

• localeater
    11 years ago

What is in the space at the bottom right of the picture(4ft5.5x4ft7)? If you move the sink 1 ft to the right, won't it will be too tight to get into that space?

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

The comment:
    Not sure of your planned colors. But looking at the sink and thinking about your kitchen (and, hey, I have come to know it pretty well), I wanted to share this:

If the counter is light-colored, the off center sink would not, I think, bother me. If the counter is dark, it would make things list sideways, as if it were sliding down hill.

The offer:
    If you can take a photo of the sink wall, I can mock up a Photoshop pic of the sink under the right window. I don't have the software to mockup the wall as you plan it with new cabinets, but someone else probably can.

Sandra

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow.
    The reuse center where I go every Friday has these and the double bowl ones just sitting around on the ground. I have to admit, if I had the space I'd be putting one in and dumping my beloved Kohler Hawthorne, RED sink.

Hmmm... OTOH, I DO have that option. I can do anything I like!

Enough about me.
    I love it. I can see it being moved, but something of the same color and continuity would need to be stretched out to compensate for the off-ness.

I'd build around it.
    I'm really looking forward to your pictures!

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Localeater.....that's a pantry...currently the floorplan from the designer has a dishwasher to the right of the sink which would be a foot away from the doorway and I don't think it would cause a problem.

Hi Sandra!!! Haha....you know my kitchen as well as me now :). The countertop is going to be white marble (leaning towards honed calacutta) and the cabinets will be white, yellow or blue. Thanks so much for the photoshop offer...I took the best photo I could from the doorway (the fridge gets in the way again!!) in b/c that's probably where I would notice the placement of the sink from the most. Let me know if you'd like another angle (the kitchen is so small it is difficult to get a full pictuer of it):

• Audry Barber
    11 years ago

magsnj, can you possibly post the overall dimensions of the kitchen? The distance from the 5'-1" wall to the wall with the back door in it and the distance from the sink wall to the wall between the kitchen and dining room? I'm trying to draw this in Autocad and it doesn't quite close. Also, I think I remember seeing a plan of your whole house (or at least the whole first floor) in another thread; could you post that here as well? Thanks.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

A few thoughts. Like Engineerchic, I like the idea of the sink centered on the right-hand window, and a prep space looking out the other window. (This is what I have.) However, it looks to me like if you centered the bowl on the right-hand window, the left drainboard would be right in front of the stile/mullion between the windows. Not sure how that would look. Hopefully, you and Bellsmom can mock that up.

Second concern regards the corner range that you are trying to move the sink to accommodate. I love corner ranges, and I tried to fit one in my kitchen, but it turns out they are space hogs. For a 30" range, they take up about 48" along each wall. That is about the minimum. If you want some space beside the range to accommodate your hips, you need even more. It looks like this would put the rear edge of your range at the beginning of your window, and the front edge of your range in the middle of your window. It also sucks up storage space quickly.

I am thinking that maybe you should start a new thread with an explicit request for layout help. Certainly reference this thread in it, but use a title making clear that it is a layout thread.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Mags
    Here you are. Quick and crude, but I think it helps visualize.

Sandra

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I don't know if this will help you feel better or not, but sinks like those are mostly from the 1940s-1950s. By the 1960s, they were most often done in stainless instead of porcelain and new ones had become rare. Ones from the 1930's have different edges and there were none prior to the advent of metal cabinets. Before that were big, wall hung units like the like below.

If I remember correctly (and the couple of other pictures I saw) your house has 1910s to 1930s trim. This sink is from a remodel. I just though it might help to know that you weren't taking out an original house part.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original would have been more like this

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

In your next post, you might want to include links to your earlier layout posts, which have all the info new responders are requesting.
    Sandra

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I should be doing other things so excuse me if I miss the gist of your post but I just have to comment that I think kitchen symmetry is overrated. Yes, move your sink over! My future kitchen has an uncentered & unsymmetrical window and sink. When did sinks and windows become married to each other? I think it's ridiculous to get rid of your sink, if you like it, because of symmetry, unless you have to have it, but if you did you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. : )

Just doing a search I found Circuspeanut and her unsymmetrical sink. Link to thread below.

In addition see this page about sinks & windows:
    http://www.kellyskitchensync.com/2008/07/time-to-get-bac.html

Here is a link that might be useful: sinks off center

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sandra!

The links to my floorplan requests for help (more like pleas! :)) are below. They have all the dimension info you should need"

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0820114717088.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0812251926287.html?7

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sandra!

The links to my floorplan requests for help (more like pleas! :)) are below. They have all the dimension info you should need"

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0820114717088.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0812251926287.html?7

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Here is the direct link to Magsnj' s kitchen diagram with measurements:

Here is a link that might be useful: magsnj kitchen diagram/measurements

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Lots of info in this first thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Magsnj ''pleas'' for help

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bmorepanic. I think the original sinks are gorgeous...I'd much prefer the higher backsplash and can't figure why they did away with it in the later sinks. It helps and doesn't help. :) I wanted the kitchen in some ways to look like it came together over time and I was thinking that with the older moldings, the mid century sink and then the newer cabinets, I could have that.....not sure though...(also thought of an antique hutch on the wall next to outside door).

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I'm a buff of old houses. I live in a small 1924 bungalow (2 years until our 90th birthday) but it's nothing special.

I have seen pictures of old, very rich persons houses from the 10s and 20s that have undermounted metal sinks with marble carved with a marine edge and smaller drain runnels than are typical today. I also touched (well - possibly that's "fondled") a rare victorian island top, made from teak with a metal undermounted sink with drain runnels carved on either side. It would have never fit - which is why its not in my kitchen. The fact that it cost quite a few body parts was beside the point.

Other than those are jazzy lookin' - it replicates the functionality of your current sink but in a way that "moves". You could easily move the sink over so it was centered under one window or have a drain board only on one side. You can do that in all metal - see elkay for ideas, stone or wood. You can have an integral high metal backsplash or stone or wood.

I'm NOT voting to get rid of the Midcentury sink or change your "collected" thinking. It's just options.

Are you sure you don't want to use ref drawers? Or could you move the entrance to the eating area a little to add the ref next to the cabinet next to the range? :)

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Oh dang, I love that sink! I've been looking for one locally but haven't found it yet. To me it adds character to your space and fits in nicely with your house. Like you, I want my kitchen to reflect the years (100+) it has been around. I hope you choose to keep it.
    Diane

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I like Sandra's (Bellsmom) mock up, with the sink moved...if you could take down that upper cabinet and add one more window to match the other two. That would look great...and give you a view, too.

If that's not possible, I would leave the sink centered under the two windows.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see that you had previous layout posts.

If it helps, here is a picture of my sink, centered on one of two windows, with nice prep area next to it:

Given what I now understand, I mostly agree with your current ideas. I imagine the best course of action would be to move the sink under the right window, and place the range on the perpendicular wall as you suggest in your post of 8:22 today. (I would not try the corner range.) Have you drawn that idea up?

I suspect you may be worrying too much about the difficulty of venting. Depending on how the joists run, you can probably vent it out either the sink wall or the back wall (above the back door).

I would think about getting rid of the closet and replacing it with a nice armoire in the room the closet opens into.

If you do all that, you should wind up with a nice amount of prep space between sink and range.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've created a "Newspaper Range" and tried it out for size in the corner (see pic) for size. I made sure that the front corners were 24 inches away from the walls........it's doable if I move the sink down but probably not worth doing (it looks a little funny to me).

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Bmorepanic!! I don't think I can do either of those two things........it's a very modest house and every time I think of spending more than I need to to have a functioning kitchen (even if it doesn't make my heart skip a beat) I have to talk myself out of it. It would have to be REALLY worth it, and I've tried desparately to find something that's REALLY worth it but I haven't found it yet :(

That said, if I did want a new sink, and prefer an undermounted one, do you think the rohl apron front sink makes sense? The house is a cottage farm house that has a recorded date of 1928 but could be older since 1928 was the first year my town kept building records. If not, what would you recommend?

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I am waiting for the driveway to dry! Arghh. I am trying to get the new cabinets painted, have had things set up under the carport priming and sealing and such like for days, and today of all days, the pavement guys called and wanted to come seal the drive. So everything is hodgepodge, I can't finish paint cabs for 2 days. whinneeeee. So I'm playing here while I can't play outside.

So, here are 2 quick layouts of what you discussed:
    First is with sink moved over and stove centered on wall. (The pantry area is still the way I laid it out last. I just forgot to eliminate it.)

This one, of the range in the corner, I did because I really DO NOT think it's a good idea. Far too much of a space hog.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sandra! I tried to do the corner range floorplan as well...sigh....oh well....the dream is dead, back to my boring floorplan.... :(

I am/was torn on the wall.....i had an interior designer come through who definitively said don't take the wall dow, so I'm leaving it up. Now the only open question is keep the sink and retain it's character or lose it and get continuous countertop that I love. I was just greedily hoping I could get both. :)

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pic Angie! I don't mind it being centered to the right window at all! I don't think I should get rid of the closet b/c it would create "dead " speace with the fridge closing off that side for work area. I think this idea works, I'll just have to get better at seeing the drainboards as prep space....or I'll have to nix the sink :) :(

PS. It's not going to be an electric range.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Be careful of your latest plan. You will have only a corner area with 24'' on each side for prep. And the same area plus one side of the sink drain for cleanup.

REALLY not enough. Corners are the pits to work in. I had a similar area before. A little less on one side of the corner, a little more on the other. I utterly hated it. Do not recreate my old kitchen.

Yes, if you dedicate that much of your kitchen to fridge and pantry, the closet corner is dead space. But why do you need a pantry in this part of the room? What happened to the area with the window below the sink?

You need COUNTERSPACE plus WORKSPACE plus ELBOWROOM

The one foot of space to the left of the range will be largely useless. so that one corner has to be prep, cook, and cleanup.

I hope some more folks come in with ideas.

Meantime, keep gnawing on this. The solution is out there.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Have you thought about closing off the back door and then replacing the window in the DR with a french door or slider? The access to the exterior would still be very close, but that would give you another wall of space to use to help with the layout. I can see the range going there and the fridge moving to the wall at the top and leaving the sink where it is so you can get into the pantry easier. Because the header already exists for the window, putting a door there would be a pretty easy project.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Hi Mags,
    I think the sink centered on the right window is good. Keep the sink. Please consider for the counter to the right of the stove just a countertop with a pull out rolling cart underneath(with a butcherblock top) this will give you flexibility in prep space.

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Other Metros Design-build Witt Construction

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by San Francisco General Contractor Mascheroni Construction

• rosie
    11 years ago

What about sliding the kitchen-DRM doorway down to create more workspace on its wall?

As for sliding the sink over, assuming this is part of creating a good workable kitchen, I would. What would for sure be considered oddities (subject to astonished criticism, even outrage!) in a new tract home are often valuable, even treasured parts of the character of evolving old kitchens, so clearly living on through them and still hard at work.

Plus, keeping the sink will avoid any danger that this might end up being a new kitchen pretending to be old. Not necessarily an awful outcome, of course, many wonderful ones fit that description, but since you are starting with an old kitchen...

My other thought is that the picture posted by Bellsmom looks so good because that entire counter area is done in one color. Nothing is contrasted as if to highlight an atypical arrangement. Nothing looks out of balance.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMGOSH Bellsmom!!! That kitchen was tight!!! Thanks for sharing b/c I would be very unhappy if after all the cost and effort of remodeling this kitchen, I ended up that cramped. I think/hope I'm safe from that b/c where your refridgerator was, I'll have drainboard, which is additional prep space whether it's easy to picture or not. I agree with Rosie, the photo that you photoshopped puts my mind a little at ease b/c it does show a long countertop, which essentially it will be once the white marble is put next to the white drain board.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

magsnj, to be blunt: You're not going to get the full value of GW because you very frequently don't answer many of the specific questions posed to you.

What about live_wire_oak's question about the back door?

What about my question from three threads ago where I asked what the heck is in that cut-off triangular corner? You just said "pipes." That's not an adequate answer. They don't make triangular pipes and they never did. If you could recontain those pipes in a smaller chase, that could have a big positive impact on your layout. If you can't, it's important to know. But I asked you twice and you just said, "Pipes."

BTW I love vintage sinks but your kitchen is almost certainly not big enough for the one you have.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I propose making this a galley kitchen. Start by moving the fridge down to opposite sink, like Bellsmom has it; remove the little stub of a wall near the back door. And remove the closet.

Then put the range to the right of the fridge on that same wall. By my reckoning, you could have 25" between the range and fridge, and 15" to its right.

Put nothing on the top wall.

You could even leave the sink where it is, or else scootch it to center on the right window as we have been discussing. DW goes to left of sink.

I also like Bellsmom's idea from 15:46 Wed.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

magsnj,

I would suggest getting a bunch of cardboard boxes (big appliance stores throw them out) and setting them up somewhere in a mock layout with exact measurements and actually playing with the space. My learning when I went through the layout process was that unlike many experts in this forum, I really did not have a good physical feel for the layout when I looked at the images.. My eye wanted the symmetry for the forest but when you are cooking or prepping or cleaning, it is important that the tree is in the right place and not in the way.. That being said, you are trying very hard to keep with the physical confines and I would suggest you push back on some of the things. A few square feet here and there makes a huge difference in functionality and bang for the buck.. to Marcolo's point.. you need to dig deeper on some of the questions and figure out exactly what pipes, and why the coat closet cannot be repurposed. At end of the day, compromising with a vintage hall tree instead of a stuffed coat closet may be a much nicer kitchen..

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Regarding moving pipes, as in Marcolo's comment:
    One of the big hangups in my remodel was that all sorts of pipes ran up the wall that we had to remove. I don't think you can beat this:

1. The house has hot water heat. The pipes for that section of the second floor ran through the center of the wall.
    2. The soil pipe and water pipes for one of the upstairs bathrooms ran through that wall.
    3. All sorts of electrical lines ran through that wall.

My wonderful GC tore out that supporting wall and installed a beam, rerouted all of the pipes THROUGH THE EXTERIOR WALL and totally cleared the way for an open space and a whole new kitchen.

The chances are that eliminating the pipes in that corner is just a matter of moving them into the space between the walls. For us, that cost a few hundred dollars, far less than the support beam, but together they made everything possible.

It may seem unnecessary to move the pipes (it's just a corner), but it might open new layout possibilities, as did your decision to remove the coat closet. I wouldn't give up on either of these without a battle.

Sandra

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I think you will really like this kitchen. They faced many of the problems you do. I love the way the character of the house was kept. I spent several happy minutes studying the details. Notice the use of beadboard. And the black and white.

That would work in your kitchen, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: kmcg's kitchen

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I've been away from the computer since my last post. Thank you for your bluntness marcolo.

I didn't respond to live_wire_oak's question about the back door......yet.....b/c it's the second time it was posted. Since it's the second time it was posted I decided it deserved to be reviewed again and I needed to be more open to that idea......that takes me more time than I had to give it at that moment so I responded where I could quickly....to Bellsmom regarding the picture she so kindly posted. I'm sorry, Bellsmom may have me spoiled with the patience she's shown me with all of my posts. I thought I had responded to all of the questions posted to me (except the most recent, since I haven't been able to)

Regarding your question, I don't know how to adequately answer. I thought pipes was an adequate answer until you just pointed out otherwise. You asked the question, I assumed the answer was pipes, then went down to the basement to check and I saw...a pipe....leading up through the floor....and that pipe leads up to a bathroom as well. It has approx a 3 inch diameter? I don't know how close it is to the wall and don't know how to find that out w/o tearing into the wall, which I'm not really willing to do, since it's plaster and I don't want to mess with it. I don't know what else is relevant about the pipe. If you tell me I can try to find the answer, but until now I thought "a pipe" was the answer. If my answer shows my ignorance about remodeling, I'm sorry. But I didn't mean for my answer to offend you in anyway.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the thought Live_Wire_Oak. Originally my opposition to moving the back door was based on not wanting to lose the 3 windows in the dining room bc they have a very "farmy" feel that I like. I brought the idea to the kitchen designer I saw today and she pointed out that I would then have to get rid of the back porch (or keep it there and have it look odd) and I'd have to build back steps out of the new doorway that would eat up a large section of my patio. Definitely a cost I don't want to incur in my kitchen remodel. Thanks for the idea though!

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks LocalEater! I decided today that I'm keeping the sink and moving it to the right (stay tuned, b/c apparently I've become fickle :)) The KD drew it in and I thought it looked great! I'm definitely considering the pull out rolling cart with butcher block on your recommendation....I'm just trying to decide if I'm the type of cook who would actually use it.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rosie, I knew that idea sounded familiar! You recommended it in my first post and I created the floorplan (see link, towards the bottom). I think I ended up moving on b/c it didn't create the enough continous countertop for the expense of moving the doorframe.

I LOVE your take on this being an evolving kitchen. I couldn't have said it better myself, so I stole all your words when I spoke to the KD today! Every new sink I tried envisioning in the kitchen definitely lacked the character that the existing one has built in to it.

Bellsmom's pic really brought the kitchen to life, and since I'm doing white marble with it, it should give a similar feel of continuity. Thanks for all of the advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosie's response

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Angie! A galley kitchen is probably my favorite type of kitchen. I've thought about it, and nixed it based on expense b/c the dream was to knock out all walls (including load bearing between living room and kitchen), move the sink down (I think this was dreamt before I fell in love with the sink, so there was a newer smaller sink as well), have the fridge on the same wall as the sink, and then across from it have a huge/gorgeous island with a cooktop in between the fridge and the sink. Having a galley in the confines of the current walls (even with removing the coat closet) wouldn't give me any more countinous countertop than the floorplan that's been discussed (the largest span of countertop would still be between the sink and the back wall), so I'm not leaning towards it.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lalitha,

I've tried the floorplan without the coat closet, I've tried it without the wall, I've tried it moving the door down, I've tried it right side up, upside down, backwards and forwards (see previous links for the posts where I was asking for floorplan help) :) I'll admit, I haven't really tried tweaking the pipe corner, but I think that's probably b/c I don't see it as an obstacle....it's not hindering any of the things that I'd like to do.

I think the problem is that I've never been a fan of corners. The corner behind my sisters sink is completely unusable, beautiful granite......it's even hard to access to clean. My mother's corners hold appliances....I don't keep appliances on my counters. I also do not prep in corners.

In addtion, my house is a cottage....as impled by that name, it's VERY small :) I've looked in my living room for a place to put something to hold coats and there's nowhere. A hall tree would be great, except there are no halls in my main floor (one of my floorplan posts also contains my first floor floorplan).

I've tried what you suggested with the paperboxes with newspaper (see above photo of corner range made out of measured newpaper) but I could see how using cardboard boxes may give me a better perspective. And goodness knows I have enough boxes since I just moved :)

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sandra! That kitchen is fantastic! Love the black and white floor! And that orange range is a beautiful splash of color. Just wrapped my brain around the before and after changes and am going to reread it to make sure I'm not missing somehting....it's great to see that wonky kitchens can be overcome :) Gives me hope.

Speakig of overcoming, I should hope that I couldn't beat all of the things you had to have moved in your last kitchen. If I was willing to go for the dream (galley with no walls) I'd probably come across close to as many obstacles. Since this is a starter home (albeit, a starter home that I love), I can't justify spending what it would cost to do all of that.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

This probably isn't your forever house, right?

Remember to have fun with the planning. Play with the plans, weigh possibilities and constraints, and then enjoy the final product. You KNOW it will be better than what you have now!!

By the way, do you live in NJ? We vacationed for two weeks in the piney woods a couple of years ago. Explored the dwarf pine barrens, ate at Lucille's and loved the people and the backroads. I don't think we were ever in a town of more than 10,000. Got lost more than once. Didn't see a single Jersey devil, although we tried.

Ended the trip at with a few days at Cape May. Nice memories.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I"ve really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for posting. I have a similar sink/window situation. I have the same old sink/cabinet but mine has the double sink/double dish drainers. I had wanted to leave mine centered on the window but with a refrigerator to it's right... and low and behold the pipe from my well is right in that corner so a cabinet would fit, but no fridge.... or I could move the sink to the left a few inches.... thanks for giving me food for thought!

Susan

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shhhh! Bellsmom, we don't like people to know there's more to NJ than the Turnpike that they see when they fly into Newark airport. We strategically put all of those oil refineries there so it would be our secret. :) Seriously though, I spent 5 years in Manhattan and very much missed all of the charming things that you mentioned seeing. :) Happy to be back.

Thanks for putting it back into perspective for me again....I lost sight of the fact that planning this kitchen was supposed to be fun.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good luck Susan!! Hopefully you'll find your answer more easily. :) I wish I hated the sink, it would make it alot easier.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Look at the thread linked below about walk in pantries. Especially, look at the pic of Willty's pantry. It reminds me of yours. and is quite lovely.

hope all goes well for you.

Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Those of you with walk in pantries. . . .

• magsnj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! That pantry is really great.....I never thought I'd rethink just having the open shelves but I think I may have to.....Willtv's kitchen may even be narrower than mine and that it a lot of lower storage....I wonder if it's longer thanmine though. Thanks so much for thinking of my kitchen when you saw it Sandra!!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Willtv's pantry is 4' wide x 5' deep. Basically the same as yours, I think, though yours is 6'' wider--and yours has a window.