Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collage5

cost/quality of quartz manufacturers

collage5
9 years ago

We're updating our kitchen following an extensive remodel 15 years ago by replacing our granite tile with quartz and refinishing our cabinets (shueller).

We selected silestone quartz in lyra (honed) which resembles cararra marble. I've been quoted upwards of $90/square foot. After spending several hours on this forum, it appears there are other brands of quartz I haven't seen, some of which may be less expensive with Pental being one of them.

I've searched to see if a thread on different brands of quartz exists as I'm curious about both cost and quality. I prefer the less manufactured look and would like a white with some gray marbling. Should I just stick with silestone lyra or is anyone aware of a more authentic looking one and/or a less expensive quartz option?

Comments (63)

• AnnaA
    9 years ago

We've had Lyra (island) for 2 years now. I'm surprised the price is still that high. We paid @ $75-ish? as part of a larger package of items.

I too read how some experience chipping and started to panic. I used quartz precisely because I am tough on my counters. No chipping here, but my Vitamix has left some black rubber scuff marks (so I keep it on a cork square pad now. I'm pleased with how it tolerates what we throw at it.

Good luck picking.

• anldsmom
    9 years ago

I found the MSI facebook page and messaged them about their quartz.: where it is manufactured and with what technology. This is the answer I got back:

"Hi, Cashmere Carrara is a beautiful choice. Our Q is manufactured from factories in several countries using both Breton and non-Breton machinery. Cashmere Carrara in particular is manufactured using Breton machinery and comes from Turkey. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thank you, Nili"

As Trebuchet said, that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's nice to know.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

They probably have to use Breton in other countries because otherwise they are violating patents, which they can get away with in China.

In speaking with a manager from Pentalquartz, I found they did not want to get their quartz from China because of shortcuts that could affect the quality of the product. Instead, they distribute Vicostone, which is made in Vietnam on Breton machines. They are a little cheaper than Cambria etc., being manufactured in an Asian country.

It'd be nice if Trebrutchet, with his contacts in the stone industry, could write a nice post to educate us about about what's going on in China in the quartz industry since more and more of it is being sold in the US.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"It'd be nice if Trebrutchet, with his contacts in the stone industry, could write a nice post to educate us about about what's going on in China in the quartz industry since more and more of it is being sold in the US."

The guy you want to talk to is named Lenny Elbon. He travels the world as a consultant to manufacturers and was an expert witness in the Wilsonart SSV class action lawsuit. He's a friendly guy and you could probably message him at www.thefabricatornetwork.com. Give him my best.

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I thought I successfully posted this morning but don't see it. I received my MSI samples today and they both look very nice. Based on the samples I have (4"x4"), less gray veining than Lyra with the cashmere carrara having the least and the fairy white (which might be my favorite) being in between the 2. The background of the fairy white is also more white than the lyra which is more light gray in comparison.

I was told the same as anidsmom: cashmere carrara is made in Turkey and that it is made using Breton technology. I will have to ask specifically about fairy white to confirm that it's the same but assume so.

Now I wonder how I can find people who have MSI Q to hear how it's holding up. That thread about Silestone chipping and staining really concerns me. The last contractor that gave me a bid also said he'd had bad experiences with Silestone; he liked caesar stone although we didn't discuss other manufacturers beyond those two.

• anldsmom
    9 years ago

Collage, what did you end up going with for your counters? Are you liking your choice?

It looks like I am going to go with Q's Cashmere Carrara. Although I just saw that another marble look alike has been just released from Silestone. The Nebula Alpha Series. Unfortunately, my templating apt is for Monday and no one around has any samples yet. I suspect from my quotes it'll be out of my price range anyways. If anyone is interested, the quotes I received:

Q from MSI Cashmere Carrara $5451
    Real Carrera Marble $6872
    Silestone Lagoon $6900

Here is a link that might be useful: Nebula Alpha Series Silestone

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your decision, anldsmom. It's interesting to see the difference in the 3 prices.

I've been on a long path and the ending is a just a little disappointing. I ultimately decided not to go with quartz and turned back to granite. We put granite tiles in years ago and I've regretted it for quite some number of years. After looking at lots of granite, I ultimately fell in love with granite that looks just like...the tiles we have. It would have cost $9,000 to make the change and I just couldn't justify it. So, for now, we're refinishing our cabinets, changing hardware, etc. but no new countertop.

Best of luck with your project!

• anldsmom
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you aren't getting quite what you hoped for, collage. It's crazy how expensive it is to buy counters now. I hope you will like the changes you are making!

• collage1
    9 years ago

Thanks, anldsmom. I tried to post about cabinet colors for our refinishing project and got kicked off gardenweb! I got a message back that my post was spam and, ever since, even with a new username, I'm unable to post. I'm anxious to see if this post works.

Best of luck with your post, anldsmom. I hope you'll post pictures when you're done.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

that silestone nebula alpha certainly looks interesting!

• Jennifer Magee Higgins
    8 years ago

anldsmom did you go with a MSI product? If so, can you post pictures?

• fillow01
    8 years ago

I see this mayflower posting on several threads here about quartz and china and something called Breton technology. But I don't understand exactly why not using Breton technology makes the quartz worse? I tried googling and didn't find anything. This website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineered_stone says there are several companies that make similar machinery.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

Hello potential SPAMMER. If we have to explain that knockoffs from stolen technology are a bad idea and that poor quality control can result, then we are probably correct that you wish to sell us your knockoff.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I don't know much about spam, but I know great quartz when I see it and saw plenty of it at Coverings in Orlando, Fl, last month. If the Chinese are going to rip off your technology, they're going to do it right. The Chinese quartz is nice stuff, Breton or not.

• fillow01
    8 years ago

Why are people so defensive here? I'm trying to buy a counter top and I am looking for information. One of the counter tops I'm considering is from MSI, and it includes a warranty similar to the other companies, so I think it must be pretty good, otherwise they wouldn't offer that. Mayflower and others here suggest that use of something called Breton technology makes a quartz counter top better, and that MSI might not use it. I am trying to understand why use of this technology is so important, why does it make the end product better? If this is just some dispute over intellectual property, frankly I don't really care about that. Plus if this is what you are talking about (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretonstone) the patent may have expired anyway, because it looks like it was invented in the 70s and they are only good for 17 years. Is there some reason why I should not buy MSI quartz? Alternatively I am considering Viatera, but the guy who installs it will take a lot longer to get it to me, so that is why I am leaning towards MSI, to reduce the time I am without a kitchen.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

fillow01:

Hang out here long enough and you'll hear some common narratives. IKEA cabinets are poor quality, non-Breton quartz is junk, etc. I'm sure that you may find some Chinese cabinets that are junk and some Chinese quartz that is junk, but I'm a bit of a contrarian and don't buy these narratives without question.

I've posted pictures of myself standing on an IKEA wall mounted vanity cabinet. I've been to Coverings and seen the quality of the Chinese quartz manufacturers in person.

Maybe people who compete against IKEA want to paint them as cheap. Maybe people who have purchased more expensive brand name quartz want to justify the extra money they spent.

• Jennifer Magee Higgins
    8 years ago

I posted above inquiring about MSI a few weeks ago. I ended up going with viatera (and yes I am having to wait too but I decided it is worth it). I do think MSI is completely fine though, my aunt is doing her kitchen now too and is going with MSI. I would have too but I preferred minuet.

• homechef59
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You are going to be very happy with the Minuet. I've got the Rococo and it's beautiful. While it's a Korean Company, LG, it's manufactured in Georgia.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

I just installed minuet and super love it :) I was torn between rococo and minuet. They are both lovely.

• Jennifer Magee Higgins
    8 years ago

Would love to see pictures lily spider!

• Sarah Eastman
    8 years ago

Hi. I'm going with the MSI Cashmere Carrera in several bathrooms at home that is under full renovation because of burst frozen pipes. Other real Carrera is in the bathrooms and the MSI product seemed to be the very closest match that fit into my budget. In the kitchen I'm going with Neolith, the porcelain slabs which truly look like the real thing. Would love to see any pics of the MSI product and hear any comments on the product. It is such a process to decide. Open to any comments about thickness or other advice. thank you!

• Gracie
    8 years ago

There have been reports of scratching and chipping of Chinese quartz because they don't cure the resins as long and at as high of a temperature as Breton manufactured quartz. There's your cost-saving. I haven't seen one post by a knowledgeable person explaining how Chinese quartz is made. Looks don't mean donkey--it's all about performance IMO.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Jennifer Maggie Higgins- here is my Minuet

• Sarah Eastman
    8 years ago

I really hope that MSi is from Turkey and not structurally weak. gads, I'm nervous. It looks great but if it breaks, it's all over. darn, I wish I read this before ordering.

• anldsmom
    8 years ago

I've had MSI's Cashmere Carrera in my kitchen since Nov. I love it and have had no problems. I do use hot pads and cutting boards and use my crockpot on my stove top. It wipes up nicely and doesn't spot like my black granite. I got a rust spot on it from a metal can and asked them on their facebook page what to use on it and got an answer right away. (Bar keepers friend soft cleanser- wiped it right off.) one of the first questions people ask when they see my new kitchen is "Is that marble?" I'll try to post a photo.

• Jennifer Magee Higgins
    8 years ago
    Here is the minuet in my kitchen...I love it!!!
  • Missy Mauro
    8 years ago

anldsmom can you show me more pics of your kitchen - i love the greenish color of your cabinuets

• Sarah Eastman
    8 years ago

we installed beautiful Carrera tiles in four bathrooms on the floors and in the showers. We selected MSI cashmere carrara for the vanity tops and it is terrible with the real stuff. don't do it. I was trying to save myself worry from toothe paste smidges that would harm the real McCoy. ugh, so disappointed. the real looks like a muddy gray and the white tops looks so well, white and fake....

• agk2003
    8 years ago

saraheastman, your post is exactly why we're probably going with super white for our master vanity top. i don't like combining the marble like quartz with real marble. i much prefer to just get a white that plays off the white in the marble.

• skda2
    8 years ago

saraheastman, how did the Neolith in your kitchen turn out? I'd love to hear if you are happy with the thin slabs. I'm strongly considering it for the kitchen. Thank you so much!

• Sarah Eastman
    8 years ago

Hi. We are not in the house yet so I'm not using it, but I can tell you that the kitchen looks fantastic!!!! We had the slabs put in as a backsplash in addition to the counter tops and the combination is breathtaking. Two things to consider..... Because the stone is thin, you'll might consider having the edges laminated (can leave alternatively thin and go with the European look) and have the counter top slabs supported with heavy particle board. When you have Neolith priced out have your needs priced out. The workmen have spilled all kinds of junk on the counter tops and it has come up easily. Good luck with your project. Once our kitchen is done, I will post a picture.

• cetb
    8 years ago

This is my kitchen which is still under construction...along with the house. We chose cashmere carrara from MSI along with 3x6 carrara marble subway tile from the local hardware store and IKEA sektion kitchen cabs that I chose to assemble. So far the electrician has managed to place his ladder on top of the island to install the pendant lights. The tile and the countertop guys have placed tools/tile/buckets and everything else on the counter island while the dust from the cuts made to the countertop filled the whole island. I was so upset thinking that they would def damage the counter, but all it took was for the countertop installer to wiped the area clean with a damp cloth. I even dropped my drill on the side of the island while installing my dishwasher and nothing so far. Figured if all this has happened before we move in...we shouldn't be too concerned with it.

• skda2
    8 years ago

Thank you so much saraheastman for your feedback. I really appreciate it. And I am so happy that it turned out well for you. That is great to hear! I'd love to hear which kind you chose—maybe estuario or calacutta? And if it was polished or river washed? Hope the rest of your kitchen finishes up smoothly! Best of luck to you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

I know if I were selling Cambria, engineered stone manufactured in the States, I'd be playing the Chinese fear card hot, heavy, and often. People don't buy on facts or education, they buy on emotion. As long as this remains human nature, good salesmen will make a nice living.

• Sarah Eastman
    8 years ago

We wanted Statuary by Neolith but it wasn't readily available and we went with their Calacutta satin since it could arrive in 3 weeks. It looks no different than the real stone. One thing I should mention is that it is preferred if your dealer is familiar with Neolith. Our fabricator had only done one other kitchen in Neolith. In the end it didn't matter, but possibly an easier process with experience at hand.

• skda2
    8 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to respond— it is so helpful in this process. I appreciate it. Again, best of luck with the rest of your kitchen!!

• katieleabrown86
    8 years ago

Hi saraheastman! I was wondering if you are living in your house yet and could update on your Neolith kitchen and maybe add some pictures!

• Ann Gerhart
    8 years ago

@anldsmom and @cetb I'm hoping you can update me on how you like your MSI Q quartz after living with it for a while. Finish still good? wearing well? I was going to go with Caesarstone emperadoro for my countertops, but the MSI mocato brown is so much less money. Can't find many reviews for this manufacturer. thanks much for taking the time to answer.

• anldsmom
    8 years ago

I am still loving it, anngerhart! I do have a chip on the underside of the counter above the dishwasher. And there are a couple of itty bitty nicks, but I'm sure I'm the only one that knows where they are. My 5 kids (ages 8-22) are really hard on things. I have a quarter sized gouge on my soapstone (just in my desk area) one of them made from dropping something heavy on it. And I catch them all the time cutting without cutting boards. Summary: I'm very pleased with it. One of the best choices I made in my kitchen remodel.

• danielcoker8
    8 years ago

I'm putting in Cashmere Carrara Quartz from Keystone Granite Inc. in Salem, Oregon for $59 sq. ft. installed. It doesn't have the more intense grey graining of Carrara Marble, however, it's about the closest we've found. The quartz is stronger and it sounds like $30 cheaper than what you're looking at. What's not to like?

• khen3
    8 years ago

Boy is this helpful! I fell in love with Cambria Brittanica because it looked so much like real marble to me, but our budget just won't allow it. I was wondering about how it compares to MSIQ Cashmere Carrara, which led me here. The photos posted above are great. Thanks to all :)

• eastmanathome
    8 years ago

hi, I'm not a tech person. can someone mention to me how to post a photo off my iphone. need the houzz app??

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

On my iPad (which I imagine is the same as on the iPhone), you click on "photo" below this box, and a few choices come up, one of which is "photo library". If you click on that, you'll see the photos on your device, select the one you want and click "done".

• B V
    8 years ago

Great thread - thanks for all the info so far! How does Frosty Carrina (FC) by Caesarstone compare to Cashmere Carrara (CC) by MSI in looks, price and quality? We were able to see a large display piece of CC at the MSI showroom but haven't see any large samples of FC. I read online that the FC is less white than CC. Our main concern is the level of the veining (prefer more subtle veining and lines rather than blotches/clouds of gray - if you catch my drift). From a price perspective, we might get CC for about $75 sq. ft. installed (about $6.5k total); MSI slabs for about $2k + fabrication costs. Anybody have any experience using/seeing both - thoughts?

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC are you saying Chinese goods are safe?

They also have the highest rate of recall among imported goods. There's a reason for this- you don't pay bottom dollar (in China it would be pennies) to workers and vendors then expect top quality .

QC is virtually non-existent in the low wage factories so who knows what kind of crap they add to their manufacturing process.

There is no way anyone can convince many of us that cheap goods coming out of China (from Chinese companies) are on par with goods coming from the U.S. It's just impossible.

http://www.nytimes.com/topic/subject/consumer-safety-and-china

• PRO
    The Silestone Countertop Connection
    7 years ago

I believe the issue with "Breton technology" is that those who use the Breton machinery license the Breton "process". The Breton licensed "process" uses a higher proportion of quartz to binder by weight than non Breton licensed "processes". Theoretically, the more quartz, the more durability.

• Sam Paustian-Underdahl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

B V are you saying the MSI slabs were 2,000 each or total?

• jpdunlop
    7 years ago

Ellie RK, your comment is irrelevant with specific examples and data. I see plenty of Chinese and other country goods which have good to high quality, and I see plenty of US junk which does not. Sadly, engineering and manufacturing in the US is too frequently no longer up to snuff. Overpriced and waaay under quality, which is sad as I am a US engineer. Keep in mind that because the US is such a high cost manufacturer, that many US companies look for shortcuts to remain competitive. We need data to make specific judgments.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

jpdunlop- My post above has an old link to the NY Times with plenty of articles on Chinese products and recalls.

Let's not pretend that Chinese manufacturing practices are the same as in the US, or the products they use to produce these cheap as possible goods have vigorous safety standards.

Does the US produce junk? Of course- every country does. But no other country seems to produce as much "unsafe" junk as China.

Of course it's up to the individual, and based on how popular Walmart and it's ilk are, we'll continue to import the crappiest of the crap, because we want the cheapest of the cheap, and just take our chances.

But if I don't absolutely need to buy Chinese made or sourced, which is nearly impossible these days, I won't - my choice.