Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellessebee_gw

Feedback on Kohler Karbon faucet

ellessebee
10 years ago

Hi - I'm looking for feedback on the Karbon faucet - before I plunk down my money I want to be sure it's not going down the drain. I also would like some feedback on the lever arrangement - I've always had single lever faucets where the level is on the spout, not mounted separately on the deck. Does this arrangement lead to lots of water on the countertop? My sink is in the island and I'm not sure how I'd contain water puddles. With my current Grohe, I can pull the lever over the sink basin to turn it off so my wet hands don't drip on the counter deck but with the karbon it looks like it's unavoidable. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

Comments (23)

• califkitchen
    10 years ago

I have two kohler karbons - one at my clean up sink and one at my prep sink. I love them - they work great and look great. But, I do get a lot of water on my counter from turning on and off.

• ellessebee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Califkitchen, that was my fear. Beautiful, functional but messy. Do you have any suggestions on ways to contain the water? It will be in my island which I'm sure will be covered with mail and newspapers etc. so much of the time. I have never had an island sink before and was dubious but it's the only place we could fit a second sink for prep that would be out of the way of clean-up and cooking but convenient to both. I'm now faced with finding a way to screen the view from the adjacent dining area and keep the water from splashing all over the stuff that accumulates on the island. It seemed like such a good idea a year ago when we were designing our new house. Now I'm getting nervous as the cabinets are being installed.... Thanks for all ideas.

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

I have one too. I absolutely love it and think it's one of the best things we purchased for the kitchen. You can maneuver it anywhere you need it to be and it stays there. No need to pull out a sprayer and then hold it yourself. Have you seen one on display somewhere? Playing with it at a showroom really sealed the deal for us. Yes, it does get a little wet around the base, but when I'm done doing dishes or drying my hands, I just wipe it up. It's just a small amount of water around the base of the lever. I don't think it's out of control at all. Here's a pic of it in action.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

It is really fabulous! I have one at my prep sink. Note that the countertop hole for the joystick handle is larger than the faucet hole. The default flow was pretty weak but based on advice here from Oldbat2b, I called Kohler and got a new piece that make the flow much much better. You can install the lever where ever you want around the sink. Look at will2ksz's prep sink. He installed it to right of the sink while the faucet itself is in a corner.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

You rang?...
    I had to get an extension hose from Kohler to separate them this much, but it was worth it. Also be sure to remove the aerator BEFORE you turn on water and flush it good. My low flow was due to sediment deep inside the unit that I had to get out with prejudice and meticulous dismantling.

I'm not picky about splashing water, I'm a wiper. I have towels on either side of this prep sink as with wood, water is the enemy. I also don't find my hands wet that often in this sink as I'm not washing pots there.

As far as function, I agree with all of the above. I do like my pull out spray for my dish sink as I like to wiggle the water stream a bit to blow off chunks, and I like to chase food down into the disposer which means holding the spray head nearly parallel with the sink bottom. You can't do that as well the the Karbon.

But I do get big faucet functionality in a small spot. I also pull the faucet straight out parallel sometimes to hang a wet towel on after drying out the steam oven. World's most expensive clothesline.....

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone - I love this faucet! We have a pair for the 45" Stages and it is uber functional. I don't know that there's any more water on the counter than with previous faucets but i am not sure this would be something I would notice (drips maybe but not puddles). Worth every penny and then some.

• ellessebee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the ringing endorsements on the karbon faucet - and the suggestions for improved flow and installation. has anyone ever tried pitching the countertop towards the sink so drips from the lever ran down into it - or, better yet - created a ledge for the faucet to mount on similar to the Indio sink Kohler makes specifically for this faucet with a special deck? I'd love a sink like that but of stainless steel and much smaller for prep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indio sink

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

It's only a little bit of water on the lever base, not huge puddles needing a different slope. If you want to test it out, put your hand in water like you washed your hand and then drip onto the countertop as if you're turning off the lever. That is the approx amount of what will drip onto the lever base.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Ours was just installed today. And yup- low flow.

So I should just call Kohler and ask for the high flow valve? Somewhere I remember reading someone found another possible culprit for low flow, but I can't remember what it was.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Oliver twist - I called Kohler a couple weeks ago and they shipped the high flow valve to me free. Took my plumber 20 mins to change. The new valve had a time height difference making it harder to get the button to work but my plumber was able to fixit. I love the silent stream on this faucet. The spray is quite a lot. I have the same sink as will2k and don't really experience splashes unless the faucet is close to the edge or too high.

Will2k - I love the idea of the towel drying.. I am going to totally try it too.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Hooray GWlolo, so glad you got yours fixed! Yes olivertwist, get the high flow valve. DH installed it himself, not sure a plumber is needed if you are remotely handy.

ellessseebee - perhaps you've heard of the OTK? I call this the OTF and like to photograph my little honey :)

• will2kz
    10 years ago

Before you send it back for low flow, tell us how the sprayer works. If it is strong, you may be thinking the solid stream is weak when in fact it is just not aerated. It produces a quiet gentle solid stream with no bubbles. The Sprayer should be vigorous. The culprit I had was small pieces of sediment in the aerator and these could only be gotten by blowing the nozzle apart with compressed air and taking a pin to the little slots deep inside. I did this because Kohler sent me the wrong replacement piece and I didn't want to wait any longer. Scientist in real life, so forgive me for being inquisitive.... Anywho I got it to work.

• muskokascp
    10 years ago

We have had ours for 2 years now - also on the island with the prep sink. It is one of the best things we purchased for the new kitchen. I love this faucet - worth every single penny! As others have said it is not like there is water everywhere - it is only the drips off your one hand that turns the faucet off. No need to worry about the water traveling all over the place , or a slope to the stone or a drip tray - it's not that much water and is easily wiped up with a dish cloth and many times I just leave it - its only a little bit.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

Just looked at it again with GC. He said the flow is not low. The sprayer is strong! And if you take off the aerator tip completely, it is super powerful. GC showed me the aerator- no debris or anything. I know what you mean about the "illusion" of a quiet smooth stream, but it just doesn't seem strong enough to wash a dish.

Will2kz, was your sprayer strong or weak when you had the problem?

What should I do?

• will2kz
    10 years ago

My spray was weak to non-existent. The solid stream, when functioning, will arc gently into the sink if you have it at a horizontal position. The spray should be vigourous. I use the solid stream to fill things without splashing but the spray for anything I'm cleaning. Sort of makes sense doesn't it?

And unless he dismantles the whole valve you aren't going to see the spot I'm talking about.
    I'd live with it for a while, and if frustrated call Kohler. They were easy to deal with even though the sent the wrong part to me.

• califkitchen
    10 years ago

I had the exact same experience as will2kz with both my Kohler Karbons. My plumber kept telling me that the problem was with the faucet and that I should call Kohler to get a replacement part. While I was waiting for the replacement "insides" my very handy father in law was over one evening and dismantled both of them getting tiny prices of sediment out and they have worked fine ever since.

• bruce2782
    7 years ago

Has anyone recently called Kohler about the flow issue. We just installed the Karbon faucet and as expected the flow was much lower than I was used to. I called Kohler and asked for the higher flow valve. The only option the service rep offered was to buy a high flow head for $82 (she did offer 25% off). I have already taken the head apart, so I suspect I just need the plastic restrictor.

I expected to need to get the high flow restrictor from Kohler when we decided on this faucet, but in all the threads I have never seen anyone mention paying for an $82 part. Most people are so happy with Kohler service for sending them the part complimentary.

Did I just get a bad draw on the service rep lottery? Is there a secret password I should mention that gets me the part we need, or do I just need to ask pretty please and they send it free. Anyone who got the upgrade have any ideas?

• Lisa
    7 years ago

Sorry I don't have an answer to your real question, but have you figured out what your actual flow rate is? If it is much lower than the 1.8gpm you might be able to get more help from customer service. I think having some data will help. Does the water pressure still seem low when you turn the sprayer on?

When we started using the faucet, we thought the flow was too low, but when we calculated the flow rate, it was 1.5gpm and we decided to just try using it. We have actually found it to be fine for us. The way the water flows (I think because it is not aerated like other faucets), it seems really smooth and the flow seems low. But it actually works fine.

I would try again with CS if the flow really is too low. You may have talked to the wrong person.

• bruce2782
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did measure it and found it to be about 1.25 G/Min. I know we have pressure since our old faucet was mush more powerful. I will try Kohler again.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

bruce - You can also try taking it apart and cleaning it. I had DH help me document this, a while back, linked here. Calling their customer service back is a good idea, too. Good luck, I hope you love it as much as the rest of us do!

• bruce2782
    7 years ago

Hi OldBat2be, I actually did take it apart first using your posted instructions. Everything looks clean in there.

I like the Karbon allot and it works well for us. I just want more pressure.

• oldbat2be
    7 years ago

Good to hear, though not included in my instructions but referenced at the tail end of the thread, is the additional step of unscrewing the top part of the head. One last thing to check, if you are so inclined.

• Ha Do
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

i have the same faucet and I love it. But yes the low flow is bothering me. I saw everybody was talking about calling Kohler to ask for the high flow valve. I called them and the lady I talked with she said she never heard of that valve :/...what should I do? Should I call back to talk with other representatives?? Thank you