Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green subway tile? Especially vintage looking?

Posted by ideagirl2 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 23:39

Hello,

As the title says, we're looking for green subway tile that has a vintage feel. Here's an inspiration picture to give you the gist. It's not a real kitchen, and it's not the exact layout we're planning; it's a photo I found and then photoshopped like crazy to get an idea of how our kitchen might feel:

Photobucket

So that's kind of what we're going for. We want a medium green, not too pastel or too dark, and with little if any grey or brown in it. So not muddy, not pastel, not emerald... and not a cool tone, because we're going for a warm feel. I've found surprisingly little green subway tile online, and almost all of it is glass--we prefer ceramic/porcelain, but would go with glass if we couldn't find the right color in those materials.

Any ideas?? Why is this hard?? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green subway tile? Especially vintage looking?

Under "Products" check out the vintage trims on the Revival Classics page, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Tile West

o

There are a couple of green ceramic subways at Mosaic Tile Supplies, plus a few glass ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green subway search results

o

Pewabic carries 2x6 and 3x6 sizes and has a few colors that sound like what you're looking for. (I linked to the 8 page glaze palette below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pewabic Tile

o

Here are a couple inspiration pics I found when I was on the hunt.

Photobucket

WZ
Photobucket

Emser crackle
Photobucket

You can check out Ann Sacks as well. Good luck!

o

Subway Ceramics has green crackle tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Ceramics

o

Walker Zanger Gramercy Park comes in a gorgeous medium dark green in a 2x6 subway. I think it's called Victorian Green. There was a kitchen posted here a while back that used it but I can't remember whose it was.

o
victorian green walker zanger

It was gbsim's kitchen

o

I love that pic you posted! The color is fabulous and the variation of color is prefect. The black border really sells it to me as well ;)

o

I used the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in Victorian Green in our kitchen refresh. It may be a little darker than you had in mind, but I think it gives a wonderful period feel. It is the exact shade I was searching for since I didn't want a pastel green.

If anyone is curious, I used Laticrete Mushroom for the grout and it is the perfect grout for this tile and this type of granite.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I second the Pewabic recommendation (and if they don't have one in stock you like, they do custom work). Another good Michiganian company that does lovely work is Motawi. Their handmade tiles are pretty vintagey too. And they have greens.

o

What about Ann Sacks Elements "Lime Gloss"?

o
Oh, wait

Ooh, sorry, just noticed "Spring Crackle," same collection.

o

Here is my green subway tile. It's Florida Tile Retro Classic Flair in 3 X 6 Green

Photobucket

o

This has always been one of my favorites. Not a vintage kitchen in the strictest sense, but gorgeous! Jaymie, hope you don't mind me sharing. I think the link below is where she got the tile, and I believe she designed the accent tiles herself.
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic Abode Tile

o

We have these tiles in our bath. Not strictly a subway tile (I think they're 2x5's), but the green looks somewhat like your inspiration pic. They're WZ Mizu in Wasabi.

o

I was thinking of using the WZ Mizu in a blue for our new bathroom.... unfortunately I was told by the store that Mizu was discontinued!

o

Thank you all! OMG Marcolo, I cannot STAND how cool those Mission Tile West retro liners are. I just emailed to see if I can get some samples of their green subways. And Joyce, you're right about that kitchen--here it is right on their galleries page: http://www.artisticabodetile.com/installs.html
I've emailed Artistic Abode and Walter Zanger about getting samples of several green samples from them too. And ordered Green Thumb and Green Tea from Mosaic Tile. So we shall see.

I wonder what I'll do with the dozen or so different shades of green subway tile samples I'll have laying around after this...

o

Here's a nice, but pricey one.

Here is a link that might be useful: terracotta tile

o

I had cheated the first time here and only looked at pix without reading too much text....
The Mission Tile West dealer boards are worth seeing and are hard to get to on their site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Tile West dealer boards

o

ooh, check it out:

o

Marcolo, it is FUNDAMENTALLY UNFAIR to post a picture of awesome deco tile without including the link!

o
RE: Green subway tile--yowza expensive

PS And Dianolo, that's pretty, but dang, you're not kidding about "pricey"!

o

We went with the Grazia Listelli in Laguna -- its a vintage green color with a nice crackle in it. The price is great too ... I think we paid $12 sq foot.

Photobucket

o

Ideagirl, life is unfair.

OK, OK. It's from dianolo's link, just exercising my img src chops.

Yes, they're pricey. Maybe you can get a cheaper field tile, but I think in your kitchen the decos just might be mandatory.

o

It looks great! Did you order it online or through a shop?

o

Ideagirl2, I was looking at the finished kitchen blog for something else and came across this green tile backsplash....

hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tile--GardenWeb's finished kitchens blog

o

ZacsDaddy, are those Grazia Listelli tiles really 2.5" x 10"? Somehow they don't look it to my eye, but that's what it says is available at the website I found (link below). Did you find them in a more subway-ish size or do my eyes deceive me?

Very pretty cabinets, BTW. What wood are they made of?

Marcolo, I now feel that life is more fair since you told me what link that photo came from. You have mad skillz when it comes to img src.

Thanks everyone for your inspiration photos, links and such!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tile-shop.com/products/listelli/listelli.html

o

Just remember, the Mission Tile decos are mandatory.

There will be consequences.

o

They really are ... the longer length is definitely a modern touch on the subway tile, but doesn't seem out of place to me. In fact, I like the longer, sleekler look as it seems to stretch out the kitchen as well. We tempered the modern by adding the black liner.

The cabinets are all walnut with a clear coat. I love them. I still haven't gotten around to posting our kitchen in the finished kitchen blog -- I want to "stage" it and take some nice glamour shots still. But here's a link to the original post of the completed if you want to see more tile shots.

One note about the Grazia Listelli: I've seen a lot of people and tile shops using the tile in bathrooms. Don't worry -- it really fits a vintage kitchen as well! (We bought the tiles via a local tile store, but we found it online easily as well.)

Here is a link that might be useful: More kitchen pics

o

We're doing a green glass subway. This is Solistone Mardi Gras in Carrollton. If you look closely, you'll see little lines running through them, which give them a little variance in color from a distance. I just got my sample in the mail. I LOVE it!

o

I'm loving the Mission Style deco too, wow, thanks for the link Marcolo. Looking forward to hearing what you think of all those samples ideagirl2, great ideas here.

o

The Mission Tile West deco tiles can be ordered in your own color combos. I played around photoshopping for endless hours and ended up with cheaper less thrilling tile elsewhere. Our feature will be awesome, but we won't have their wonderful liners or field tile... sigh...
When we do our family bathroom, there is no doubt we are going the deco route....

o

I've ordered Mission Tile subway samples in various shades of green. And some of the liners, of course. But Marcolo, they haven't arrived yet, so I cannot guarantee that the subways (as opposed to the liners) will be Mission Tile. It is ALL ABOUT the shade of green.

o

I have decided to give you a little leeway on sourcing the field tile, so you can find the right Depression Green. And speaking for all of us who work in financial-related industries, I hope you appreciate the effort we have gone to in order to provide you with an actual Depression in which you can install them.

But I now need to see photos of your samples of the Mission Tile liners and subways. Time's up!

o

I am enjoying all the information. I love the look of the green subway tile. I have just decided on the cabinets, and have decided on Vintage Lace. I still have to pick the counter, but love the look of these tiles.

o

Did I link these already in one of these green tile threads? They're repros of the actual greens used from 20's - '50s, and quite reasonable at around $12/sft, in all kinds of sizes and trims:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mid-Century Series

o

Update: the Mission West tiles were not the right shade of green. I also ordered some samples of the retro liners, which look great, except for this one issue: they're displayed in only one color combo online, so it didn't even occur to me to specify a color, and then lo and behold, the samples they sent me were completely different color combos that had nothing to do with my color scheme and thus did not help me at all.

Then when I emailed to ask about that, the woman (Kate) said she had just sent what they had, and if I wanted to see a specific color I would have to pay for it and wait X weeks for it to come in. I asked if she could send me ANYTHING (even a 1"x1" or whatever) in the shade of red used on the liners I thought I had ordered (the samples that I got had no red in them). Y'know, being as how my range is red, and being as how I would want a liner that would go with the Depression-green field tile, I thought it would be a good idea to see what shade of red they use. But then I didn't hear a peep from her.

And speaking for all of us who work in financial-related industries, I hope you appreciate the effort we have gone to in order to provide you with an actual Depression in which you can install them.

Um... well, "appreciate" may not be quite the word I had in mind. :-)

o

Do take a look at Pewabic, who makes some of the most beautiful ceramic tiles I've ever seen. They did a famous Manhattan bathroom entirely in green tiles -- I'll bet Boxerpups knows exactly the one I'm talking about and has a picture at her fingertips -- that haunted me for years.
Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here