Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet hardware

Posted by tspitzer (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 23:38

Hi,

My husband and I are not very handy, but we are trying to do some updating to our house this summer. We have replaced a few light fixtures, done a little painting. So far big improvements. I think we may have a small problem though. Want to get your opinions. I cleaned all the cabinets, and shined them up. We picked out new knobs and pulls, not really thinking about the hinges, and got them all on. However, they don't match the hinges. He thinks it looks fine, but I'm not so sure. What do you think? Do you think the hinges are dark enough to blend in, and not be very noticeable? Or do they look funny? If so, what are our options? We still have the old hardware, so I guess putting it back is an option, but I hate to do that. That means changing hinges??! What did I get myself into?

See more pics below.

Thanks for any advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Additional photos, and before photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet hardware

You did such a nice job sprucing things up that I think those hinges are going to bug you if you don't change them. I'd try cleaning and lightly spray painting them to match the new hardware. I did this with my doorknobs and the finish had held up great!

o

Take a breath, dearie. All your work isn't for naught. This is a little thing.

You could also try this cool product called Rub 'n Buff. I've read about it forever, but finally tried it on something. It's easy and really does the trick.

Since you never, really touch the hinges, the finish wouldn't rub off or change for a very long time.

BTW. Those cabinets look new. Either you did an amazing job cleaning them up, or they weren't in bad shape to begin with. Really nice.

I have (lost my mind) really gotten into the white washed, aged or grayed look of furniture these days. I discovered this magic stripper that has me eyeing everything in my house. I stripped 3 cabinets I got at a reuse center and they turned out to be oak. I did the finish I like on them and it's GORGEOUS -- at least ot me! [LOL]
My point in all of that is your picture has me wanting to get my hands on your cabinets with all that grain.

AND.
"Not handy?" And your changing light fixtures!?! I'm newly handy, but still haven't tackled anything electric myself. Great job.

o

Your cabinets are beautiful and I like the new hardware. If the different finish on the hinges really bothers you change them out.

We just did a total reno on our kitchen and the hinges don't show at all but I honestly prefer the look of seeing the hinges.

o

Delete post

This post was edited by holly-kay on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:43

o

Thank you all! We are learning, slowly. I cleaned them really well a d used restore-afinish. It did a nice job to make them look at least ten years newer. I ended up taki all the hinges off and spray painting. A lot of work, but happy with the results.

As for the light fixture, it really wasn't hard. Make sure everything's off, and then just connect. I didn't install it in a new place, just changed it.

o

To be honest, I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference if you hadn't pointed it out. Your new hardware is lovely, but I'm not sure I'd want to see a bunch of hinges the same color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here